Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, be that guy who complains about stuff nobody else is complaining about. You then know you are not calibrated. With the car or in life...
Service could tell you but they may not know. I know because when I first got FSD on my Model 3 FSD was doing some crazy stuff. So bad I called Service and they diagnosed the cameras were not all fully calibrated and mentioned percentages. They also told me the rear camera showed it wasn't calibrated at all and was at zero percent. Calibrated and FSD worked.

Sorta - mine's been recognizing the sign below, but it can't figure out if children are present or not so it always slows down to 30 MPH.
Glad it's working for you but until the states have more consistent and less ambiguous signage I'm afraid it will. remain an issue. :/
View attachment 1046873
Our town is clearly smarter and has flashing lights with the sign when school is open :) . FSD does recognize the flashing lights and slows down but since there is no sign telling FSD the school zone is over FSD increases speed when the car is about halfway past the school zone.

Does the car slow down when yellow lights are on and speed back up after school end zone ?
I think he got lucky. I had to disengage this morning because the car was heading at 35mph to a 20mph well-marked school zone with flashing lights. (Disengaged right after I passed the sign and the car was showing no signs of slowing.

I think we’’ll see reliable school zone reactions in 12.4 or 12.5.

Everyone should also, while in park, pull up the front cameras, I believe in service mode. To see if they need to be cleaned.
I suggest doing so with car facing very low evening sun, or alternatively a bright street light or facing headlights at night. The View can look just fine with high son or on an overcast day, but then gets horrible with the low angle lighting.

Service could tell you but they may not know. I know because when I first got FSD on my Model 3 FSD was doing some crazy stuff. So bad I called Service and they diagnosed the cameras were not all fully calibrated and mentioned percentages. They also told me the rear camera showed it wasn't calibrated at all and was at zero percent. Calibrated and FSD worked.
does the m3 have calibrating software? I ask because when I got my first wind screen replaced, safelight said they didn't have the software to calibrate the cameras, but the had it for the 3. I told them the car has its own software and the next 2 wind screens I had to replace were at a Tesla sc.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
I think he got lucky. I had to disengage this morning because the car was heading at 35mph to a 20mph well-marked school zone with flashing lights. (Disengaged right after I passed the sign and the car was showing no signs of slowing.

I think we’’ll see reliable school zone reactions in 12.4 or 12.5.
I've tested FSD slowing down at the school zone flashing lights above and below the sign and it's 11 for 12. (2 different schools) With no flashing lights FSD doesn't slow down. Never did this until recently but I cannot confirm which V12.3.x version. I agree with you that consistency will come in 12.4 or 12.5.

If service could tell then theoretically the car should be able to know and give an alert saying it needs recalibration.

Yes to what ?

- Slow down at school zone only when needed (when the lights flashing, when children are around etc)
- Promptly revert back to original speed at the end of school zone

I don't think it does either of those correctly / consistently.

What it does is to ignore school zone speeds completely - which helps when the school is not in session. Earlier it would read the speed limit and slow down all the time.

Why would you care, as long as FSD got you to your destination, safe and sound?
If it's a true L3+ system and I can use my laptop in the backseat without ever looking at the road, I probably wouldn't care. Especially if it's equal to or greater than the left turn approach in terms of time and fuel as that UPS article indicates. But FSD currently has not and may never reach the point of being a genuinely practical tool. So if I am engaged in the driving process, I want to see it solve the harder problem rather than take the easy way out. One thing I admire about the Tesla team is that they have not been taking the easy way out and are not afraid to take risks. The fact that they actually supported rolling stops as a FEATURE at one point (before NHTSA cancelled it) is crazy to me. Can't help but think that was Elon's idea lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeoX750
So you are saying a less advanced ADAS should solve harder problems than a more advanced robotaxi ?
It's easier to solve hard problems 99% of the time (useful L2) than it is to solve slightly easier problems 99.99999% of the time (useful L4). So there's not a contradiction here.

It may even be that once L4 is achieved, the driver will still have the option to enable "L2/L3 mode" for this reason; the car could then drive more aggressively or with a wider ODD, knowing that the human driver would be there to take over if it encounters a problem it can't solve.

If it's a true L3+ system and I can use my laptop in the backseat without ever looking at the road, I probably wouldn't care. Especially if it's equal to or greater than the left turn approach in terms of time and fuel as that UPS article indicates. But FSD currently has not and may never reach the point of being a genuinely practical tool. So if I am engaged in the driving process, I want to see it solve the harder problem rather than take the easy way out. One thing I admire about the Tesla team is that they have not been taking the easy way out and are not afraid to take risks. The fact that they actually supported rolling stops as a FEATURE at one point (before NHTSA cancelled it) is crazy to me. Can't help but think that was Elon's idea lol.
If your waiting for an L3 system that you can sit in the back seat you either don’t understand how L3 works or picked the wrong car. That will never happen with L3.