Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is this lane keeping issue? I have zero lane keeping issue on hw4 model Y. It has never gotten close to a curb even leaving a parking garage. My friend is not seeing any difference either and she said she has been attentive about it since people online have been talking about curb rash.
He is comparing how v11 would stay dead straight in the middle of all lanes. V12 doesn’t all the time, and it doesn't bother me the slightest.

Pro tip, charge at home. One of the benefits of owning a Tesla.
No charge for this one, next tip will be at my hourly rate.
Actually I live in Atlantic Station BUT I can't charge at home since my home is in a high-rise and car is in the SUPER HUGE Atlantic Station parking deck (also the Superchargers are in the parking deck). However I do have free charging at work and at the gym I go to. So I don't use the Superchargers here but happened to drive past them today because I FSDS to the back of the neighborhood for kicks (we have about 10 different enter/exits to the parking deck). The Superchargers are located on P2 about where the arrow points.

IMG_4979.jpeg

Most common and problematic issues with v12 for me are
  • Wobble when attempting a lane change (separate from the lane selection issue). Confuses surrounding drivers and sometimes conditions change before it can safely complete the lane change. Sometimes gives up on the lane change entirely. I don't see people raise this issue enough. Maybe it's worse for me because I drive on "v12 highways" a lot. This phenomenon didn't exist in v11 and I can't even imagine why it would happen now with machine learning. Do they have video clips of people driving back and forth while attempting lane changes? Happens on about 50% of lane changes, regardless of whether the lane change was user-requested or initiated by FSD.
  • Much improved but still lousy performance at intersections, especially stop signs. Often needs a giant gap in order to proceed (and even when the road is empty, often just sits still). Exacerbated by the painful NHTSA stops. Unacceptable during remotely busy traffic. Better to just hit the accelerator to avoid confusing and frustrating other drivers.
  • Will still destroy your car during pothole season if you let it.

Last edited:
Lane keeping and speed will be addressed in upcoming releases
Post in question referred to current release.

Also curbs.

I think v12 is better overall than v11.4.9 but I do have to use the accelerator a lot more and I disengage a lot more often on turns.

Lane position does not bother me since sometimes correct. Also fun to get super tight to curbs at 50mph. Amazingly consistent, but always have to be vigilant.

Seems legit.

Last edited:
Reactions: EVNow
I used v10, v11 and now v12 for all drives. V11 did ok in plenty of situations.
It isn't close to the comfort of v12. Lane keeping and speed will be addressed in upcoming releases. The point is, before v12, it was always 2 steps forward and 1 step back. This is not the case with v12.
Seriously - V12 also feels that way to me. Better in roundabouts but worse in simple speed control. Chuck Cook has talked about this too (or was that AI Driver ?).

In V12 I also have some lane selection issues that I didn't have in V11. It never seems to know when to change to the correct lane when a turn is upcoming. It can change to the left lane when right turn is just 100 ft away in rush traffic and then reroute causing 10 minute delays. Worse, when I've initiated the change at the right time manually - it tries to go back ! V11 had issues too - but not this much.

So, my overall disengagement rate hasn't improved much, even though I don't have to disengage at roundabouts as much as in V11.

BTW, on freeways V12 seems to be worse, even though many here think the code is still V11. Speed control is definitely different. V11 would just go to the set speed, if possible. With V12 I've had occasions when FSD sits next to a slow moving truck and refuses to speed up even when the lane is empty. So, basically FSD has decided the traffic is "moving slowly" because of that one truck and refuses to go faster. I never experienced this in V11 - so, surely the code is different in freeways too between V11 and V12.

Actually I live in Atlantic Station BUT I can't charge at home since my home is in a high-rise and car is in the SUPER HUGE Atlantic Station parking deck (also the Superchargers are in the parking deck). However I do have free charging at work and at the gym I go to. So I don't use the Superchargers here but happened to drive past them today because I FSDS to the back of the neighborhood for kicks (we have about 10 different enter/exits to the parking deck). The Superchargers are located on P2 about where the arrow points.

View attachment 1046202
Tell me where you usually park. I will leave my Cybertruck nearby with the 240 power supply on. You can charge off the truck anytime you want!

Seriously - V12 also feels that way to me. Better in roundabouts but worse in simple speed control. Chuck Cook has talked about this too (or was that AI Driver ?).

In V12 I also have some lane selection issues that I didn't have in V11. It never seems to know when to change to the correct lane when a turn is upcoming. It can change to the left lane when right turn is just 100 ft away in rush traffic and then reroute causing 10 minute delays. Worse, when I've initiated the change at the right time manually - it tries to go back ! V11 had issues too - but not this much.

So, my overall disengagement rate hasn't improved much, even though I don't have to disengage at roundabouts as much as in V11.

BTW, on freeways V12 seems to be worse, even though many here think the code is still V11. Speed control is definitely different. V11 would just go to the set speed, if possible. With V12 I've had occasions when FSD sits next to a slow moving truck and refuses to speed up even when the lane is empty. So, basically FSD has decided the traffic is "moving slowly" because of that one truck and refuses to go faster. I never experienced this in V11 - so, surely the code is different in freeways too between V11 and V12.
Hard to disagree with your post. Only addendum I would offer is v11 would slow down for big trucks on freeways... the chevrons would show it. It was like it didn't want to pass big trucks quickly. I do like the move over a little bit and give more room to large trucks.

Reactions: LSDTester#1
I used v10, v11 and now v12 for all drives. V11 did ok in plenty of situations.
It isn't close to the comfort of v12. Lane keeping and speed will be addressed in upcoming releases. The point is, before v12, it was always 2 steps forward and 1 step back. This is not the case with v12.
Right - V12 is the very first general release that my family have trouble figuring out if I'm using FSD or not.
As I mentioned in another post, as soon as it does something ridiculous they figure it out soon enough :)

Right - V12 is the very first general release that my family have trouble figuring out if I'm using FSD or not.
As I mentioned in another post, as soon as it does something ridiculous they figure it out soon enough :)
Hard stops for fresh yellow lights... now there is a v12 complaint from me.
If It has room sometimes to continue, it brakes too hard to stop for a light
when it should just keep going.
Probably ok if a cop is watching you, not good if you are being tailgated.

Come on @AlanSubie4Life .... give me the first like from you in history.
I have received 1,653 funny emojis, 9 disagrees, but not one agree.
It's time brother... give it to me for this one post....

Last edited:
To add my 2¢ and avoiding all the nuances. V11 drives like a jerky robot following discreet hard "if this then do that" rules. V12 drives in a much more natural and "fluid" manner and while not perfect it is ∞ smother than V11.
Agreed but where did you come up with 2 pennies? I thought you were broke?
ATL high rise baller!!

• Funny
Reactions: LSDTester#1
Thanks I see it right across from me. Can you open the tonneau cover. I'm banging on the side panes with a hammer but it won't open.

View attachment 1046222
Sentry mode just gave me an alert that a hobo was trying to get into my Cybertruck...
Sorry, didn't realize it was you. It's open and power 🔋 on !!

Most common and problematic issues with v12 for me are
  • Wobble when attempting a lane change (separate from the lane selection issue). Confuses surrounding drivers and sometimes conditions change before it can safely complete the lane change. Sometimes gives up on the lane change entirely. I don't see people raise this issue enough. Maybe it's worse for me because I drive on "v12 highways" a lot. This phenomenon didn't exist in v11 and I can't even imagine why it would happen now with machine learning. Do they have video clips of people driving back and forth while attempting lane changes? Happens on about 50% of lane changes, regardless of whether the lane change was user-requested or initiated by FSD.
  • Much improved but still lousy performance at intersections, especially stop signs. Often needs a giant gap in order to proceed (and even when the road is empty, often just sits still). Exacerbated by the painful NHTSA stops. Unacceptable during remotely busy traffic. Better to just hit the accelerator to avoid confusing and frustrating other drivers.
  • Will still destroy your car during pothole season if you let it.

As well v12 is often not staying centered in lanes and touches or even goes over neighboring lane lines.

My spouse is pretty tolerant of my FSD testing but geez when it is near the lane line (right) and there is a car in the right lane she questioned what the he11 FSD was doing.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
Imo Tesla's fsd performance surpassed waymo's as it is forced to handle much more challenging scenarios. This includes all the unreasonable 6 lane blind UPLs, needing to go 15% over the speed limit at all times, navigating through parking garages and extremely busy parking lots, etc etc. Many places waymo doesn't even touch.
My point was that Tesla FSD is still regularly failing even in really easy scenarios. If they can't solve these common issues, they will not be ready (in my book) to even remotely consider L3 or L4, or even to be considered a "useful" city-streets L2 system, regardless of whom else has been approved for what.

No autonomous system will ever make zero mistakes. It's the frequency of mistakes that is important. (And more important for more severe mistakes, of course.) If FSD goes the wrong way down a one-way street 1000x more often than its competitors, saying "But other AV's sometimes go the wrong way down a one-way street too" is not a good argument.

Reactions: Matias