Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My parking spot is not easy since it is a across from the elevators and has 2 pillars by it and the angle of approach is not good either. Tried it 4 times. The first try it ONLY took 10 forward/reverse to get in. Talk about embarrassing and dumb looking. The best of four parks was in 3 forward/reverse to get in. One time it looked like it was going to hit a pillar with the front end. Had foot hovering. Then car just sat there for a good 30 or more seconds. At first I thought I had hit brake but then it finally decided to continue. So far color me not too impressed.

IMG_4906 (1).jpeg
IMG_4907 (1).jpeg
IMG_4908 (1).jpeg
IMG_4909 (1).jpeg

I’m guessing auto park is the first step in letting FSD take you completely to your destination then park itself?
At one time, FSD got you auto parking and Summon. Summon consisted, more or less, of two parts:
  1. Ability to move the car to and fro, like out of a garage or into one.
  2. With the car parked in a lot with no public streets in it, it could come to a point one would select on a map. One was supposed to have the car always in view when doing this.
#2 had bugs where it could hit curbs and other cars. But it was a better party trick than #1.

Both were removed about the time Tesla stopped putting USS on their cars. It’s been in, “Coming soon” state since then. Actually Smart Summon has been promised this quarter. The auto park showed up for vision cars this year.

The SO’s MY, which has USS, currently does have a Summon tab in the app which, in addition to the go back/go forward, has the “Go To Target” button, which would be #2, above. If it works. That’s on 12.3.4.

Both HW4 X and USS/MCU2 Y received 2024.3.20 / 12.3.5 last night after manually checking for updates from the Software screen. I would expect the Model Y to get 12.3.6 soon given the current rollout pattern. Both 12.3.5 and 12.3.6 might be in a "pull" update mode (TeslaFi shows pending/installed slowly increasing probably reflecting people checking Software screen) for compatible hardware.

One improvement so far compared to 12.3.4 from a sample size of 1 is slowing down for a flashing yellow school zone that previous versions would require disengagement with AUTO.
I’m 12.3.5 without USS. I might try and check later for fun.

Not eager to update though.

Just got 12.3.6 this morning. Loving the new auto park - tested it out three times so far. I was worried the Intel Atom cars wouldn't get the new feature, but it's there!

The next logical step will be to have the car auto park when it arrives at its destination. It drove me to my building, and there were plenty of parking spots available. The second I disengaged FSD, the new auto park appeared. Gonna be awesome when they link the two.

My parking spot is not easy since it is a across from the elevators and has 2 pillars by it and the angle of approach is not good either. Tried it 4 times. The first try it ONLY took 10 forward/reverse to get in. Talk about embarrassing and dumb looking. The best of four parks was in 3 forward/reverse to get in. One time it looked like it was going to hit a pillar with the front end. Had foot hovering. Then car just sat there for a good 30 or more seconds. At first I thought I had hit brake but then it finally decided to continue. So far color me not too impressed.

View attachment 1043171View attachment 1043170View attachment 1043169View attachment 1043168
You have more patience than me. My work garage looks very similar and I tried it this morning but gave up pretty quickly. Was way easier and faster to just park myself.

Rear in parking is not practical. I need head in parking and angled parking. Nuff said.
Many will agree with you and that is my preference too. But one of the things I've noticed now is a lot of people prefer to back in. Tesla needs to speed up backing into a spot along with adding head in and angled parking.

Seems like you are a product of the Tiger Mom. Anything less than 100% and you are grounded :D

Many will agree with you and that is my preference too. But one of the things I've noticed now is a lot of people prefer to back in. Tesla needs to speed up backing into a spot along with adding head in and angled parking.
I read an article about self parking systems available in many cars today. The question came up about why auto parking systems don't park forward, only backwards. The author's response was "Because parking forward is incredibly easy, so it doesn't need to be automated". LOL

Most collisions at intersections happen when there is a traffic signal.

View attachment 1042950

I’m not sure it’s possible to exit Chuck’s neighborhood doing only right turns.
Here's where statistics can hide details. Do they happen more often at traffic signal intersections because they are inherently more dangerous or is it simply because people disproportionately favor traffic signal intersections and avoid ones without such (because they feel unsafe or can't/don't want to attempt), so as a proportion of attempts the one without the signal is not necessarily safer?

Put more clearly, there needs to be a determination of how much left turn traffic is at the Chuck intersection versus for example the traffic light intersection before you can have a more decent idea of how it truly compares (although I should point out the artificial testing being done skews natural traffic patterns).

Last edited:
This kind of reasoning will drive away people from buying FSD. It's also inconsiderate to disabled people, people who have difficulty with driving.
I fully think that FSD should be able to park in angled spots when it reaches its destination, but again, if a person can't easily park in one on their own, should they really be driving? (It has to be easier than even making a right turn into the parking lot.)