Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD take rate after free trial 2%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a bit skeptical. Is there any methodology available?

Assuming that is an accurate metric, most 30 day trials have barely expired (1-2 weeks, I think). It's reasonable to assume it might take some time to see that flow through to subscriptions. People may elect to go back to basic AP, drive it for a while, and realize they want FSD back.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod

Assuming that is an accurate metric, most 30 day trials have barely expired (1-2 weeks, I think). It's reasonable to assume it might take some time to see that flow through to subscriptions. People may elect to go back to basic AP, drive it for a while, and realize they want FSD back.

I suspect the opposite; very few who allow it to lapse will return to become regular subscribers. My trial is up in four more days…but I disabled it two weeks ago as well as NoAP. I don’t anticipate subscribing…it’s not worth $99/month to me.

FSD is not good enough for full autonomy on one side.
And not good enough or cheap enough to be used as an usefull driving assistance system on other side.

I think the whole AI bubble is mostly about delivering solutions to non existent problems, yet not addressing the real problems. So whatever they deliver, market is not there. And for what market is there, they are unable to deliver.

The EAP feature of changing lanes is nice, but I have a commader to reactivate it already. And autopark is a neat trick but I'm usually already in the process of parking there before it recognizes the spot. I was impressed by how much it did right when we had a loaner a few weeks ago, but that's also partly due to my low expectations.

I got the trial a couple days ago, haven't used it in my car yet and not sure if I will. Maybe I'll see if my wife wants to try FSD out (she might find value in it). But otherwise yeah, it's not worth the price. $20/month, perhaps.

The EAP feature of changing lanes is nice, but I have a commader to reactivate it already. And autopark is a neat trick but I'm usually already in the process of parking there before it recognizes the spot. I was impressed by how much it did right when we had a loaner a few weeks ago, but that's also partly due to my low expectations.

I got the trial a couple days ago, haven't used it in my car yet and not sure if I will. Maybe I'll see if my wife wants to try FSD out (she might find value in it). But otherwise yeah, it's not worth the price. $20/month, perhaps.

I think it is worth trying out on several different drives if you have the time and energy over the next few weeks. You read forums so you obviously keep informed about your car's capabilities. This is a chance for you to experience the current offering so that you can form your own impressions of it based on your driving styles and your wife's input as a passenger (which is a completely different feel than as the driver.)

I share your view about autopark. And while I suggest trying FSD V12 out, I don't expect you'll find it a net benefit to your life. Experiment for educational purposes only.

As I've said before, I use my car to get from point A to B, I drive defensively in order to do so without additional cost or delay (accident/ticket), and I seldom have time or energy, when going some place, to focus on supervising a poor driver who won't take my suggestions, or spend my time being forced to change my successful, 45+ year accident-free, driving style. It makes no sense to me to take random FSD test drives as that increases the risk of damage to my car for no real reason aside from serving lord elon's need for more data.

So I don't use FSDV12.3.3 and am not about to avail myself of any incremental update offered to me (currently awaiting download is 2024.3.25, elon keeps trying to tempt me). I'll wait for V12 on highways, after determining it works better than V11 on highways, or until there's a compelling UI reason to update (and again, I'll wait until I'm sure the update is stable and doesn't break anything new.) I used to think I'd update when they fix the wipers but TBH, I just use them on manual now, having given up on Auto which is another reason to make an FSD enabled profile my primary driver profile.

Reactions: SalisburySam
I waited a week after the free trial before deciding to go with the subscription. It may help that most of my non-Interstate driving is in an area where the streets are mostly straight and the traffic lights/stop signs are clearly visible, so FSD works pretty well. I can't imagine what FSD would be like in, say, West Virginia (where the word "straight" is rarely applied to a road).

The phrasing is a bit confusing.

They are saying of all trials, 74% ended the free trial period by 5/5.

So, let us start with 100k free trials. 74k ended on 5/5. There is a 2% conversion or 2k owners have subscribed.

I think it is worth trying out on several different drives if you have the time and energy over the next few weeks.
Like ai said, we had a loaner over a weekend and I used it over that weekend quite a bit. But it was more like a neat party trick. I didn't like the way it drove (too hesitant to go, follows too close, brakes too late) and it required more attention than just doing it myself. And was too chicken to let it get too far into certain situations (like roundabouts, construction, etc) before taking over myself.

Basic autopilot works great on long interstate trips (like today) and in bumper to bumper traffic. TACC suffices for the rest. Now, if I could reliably sit back with my hands in my lap and let it drive us to school/work...
I’m interested in this…can the commander (S3XY knob, buttons) activate Auto Lane Change?
No, but it's close. You signal and start the lane change manually, AP disengages (and drops to TACC if you aren't on single pull), complete the lane chane and the signal turns off. After 2-3 seconds or so, AP reengages just like you'd done it manually.

Basic AP worked great coming home from Atlanta today, better than any previous experience with it.

• Informative
Reactions: mborkow
Interesting reading the comments and observations on FSD. Kind of all over the place, much like the phantom braking issue. We have two Teslas, MY LR and M3 SR. Subscribe now with the MY after trying out the new FSD version. Will likely buy it for $8K in a month (after doing a trip from south of Tucson to Cape Cod, done 2x a year). Have found the newest iteration to be quite remarkable. But that's just my take.

Rich

The phrasing is a bit confusing.

They are saying of all trials, 74% ended the free trial period by 5/5.

So, let us start with 100k free trials. 74k ended on 5/5. There is a 2% conversion or 2k owners have subscribed.

That only leaves a week for people to actually consider subscribing (minus however long it took to actually conduct this survey!). That doesn't seem like very much time to actually gauge what the true conversion rate here is.

Note: I'm not expecting a particularly high take rate at this point, but still this 2% number seems like a flawed measurement. I'd be more curious about the overall subscription volume and overall FSD purchases compared in, say, April of this year vs September.

That would mean a total increase in income of at least $2,400,000. per year, for just clicking a few buttons.

Imagine some will purchase the $8,000 package as well as more signing up over the next few months.

Additional bonus for garnerning $millions more value in free advertising.

Latest contest between Tesla and Mercedes FSD shows Tesla the true superior system.

Elon is a genius.

Interesting reading the comments and observations on FSD. Kind of all over the place, much like the phantom braking issue. We have two Teslas, MY LR and M3 SR. Subscribe now with the MY after trying out the new FSD version. Will likely buy it for $8K in a month (after doing a trip from south of Tucson to Cape Cod, done 2x a year). Have found the newest iteration to be quite remarkable. But that's just my take.

Rich
Why not just subscribe for $99/month? If you total your car, will your insurance company pay out that $8k?