Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does your father know that Henry Ford was the most virulent anti-Semite in American history, and was a huge supporter of the third Reich ?
I see these responses a lot. Ford from that era is not Ford now. You can't go back in time, you can only make informed decisions on what is happening now. I did get rid of both my Teslas because I do not want to be associated Elon at all (and I canceled my CT deposit). Plus, the quality and FSD scam were too much to handle. But I put up with the quality issues until Elon went off the rails. You buy whatever you want, but I am more comfortable driving a BMW EV.

Elon’s Twitter behavior definitely has a negative impact on his public image. I watched the whole 3 hour presentation with my dad (not a Tesla investor) because my dad loves engineering. After the presentation he said “Tesla’s such an awesome company and they have amazing engineers working there. But that Elon guy, he didn’t add any value to the presentation and didn’t make a competent impression as a CEO. And I’ve been hearing so many things about him in the media and his child-like antics.”

What bothered me so much is that when Elon got off stage after his first presentation, I briefly checked Twitter, and saw that Elon was actually tweeting at that time, while the presentation was going on and he was backstage with his colleagues! And it wasn’t even a tweet about Tesla, but some “!!” or “Interesting” or “🤔” to a blatantly obvious fake statement by a Twitter user or news organization or whatever like he often does. He doesn’t seem to thoroughly check the subject or sources he replies to, and this screams impulsivity.

For example, recently he started replying (in a condoning manner) to farmers and political candy salesmen who are loudly campaigning against the closure of farms in the Netherlands. Some random on Twitter tweeted that the Dutch government are closing farms because of “climate change” and that they’re unfairly “ousted” from their farms. And then Elon replied “Concerning” for his 130M+ followers to see. What a way to use his great reach, without even understanding the basics of this topic 🤦‍♂️. In actuality the closing of a percentage of farms is not about climate change at all, but about nitrogen deposits that are destroying the little flora and fauna we have. If we keep depositing nitrogen at the rate we do now, our forests are modeled to die within 15 years and overgrown with nitrogen-hungry plant species like heather. The Netherlands is half the size of Florida and the world’s second largest food exporter, it doesn’t take a genius to realize that this environmentally unfriendly intensive farming is destroying our environment and we need to adapt.

I’m 28 years old and my friend group consists of highly educated people (I am a medical doctor and my friends are all either also medical doctors or doing a PhD in biomedicine/biology), and none of them likes Elon. It’s a small sample size but my family and friends are who I speak to everyday and this is what I observe in the real world, and not polls about his popularity on the internet. And I have to say it gets harder and harder these days for me to defend him. As an investor I am kind of hoping that Tom Zhu will take over soon.

Last edited:
Elon’s Twitter behavior definitely has a negative impact on his public image. I watched the whole 3 hour presentation with my dad (not a Tesla investor) because my dad loves engineering. After the presentation he said “Tesla’s such an awesome company and they have amazing engineers working there. But that Elon guy, he didn’t add any value to the presentation and didn’t make a competent impression as a CEO. And I’ve been hearing so many things about him in the media and his child-like antics.”

What bothered me so much is that when Elon got off stage after his first presentation, I briefly checked Twitter, and saw that Elon was actually tweeting at that time, while the presentation was going on and he was backstage with his colleagues! And it wasn’t even a tweet about Tesla, but some “!!” or “Interesting” or “🤔” to a blatantly obvious fake statement by a Twitter user or news organization or whatever like he often does. He doesn’t seem to thoroughly check the subject or sources he replies to, and this screams impulsivity.

For example, recently he started replying (in a condoning manner) to farmers and political candy salesmen who are loudly campaigning against the closure of farms in the Netherlands. Some random on Twitter tweeted that the Dutch government are closing farms because of “climate change” and that they’re unfairly “ousted” from their farms. And then Elon replied “Concerning” for his 130M+ followers to see. What a way to use his great reach, without even understanding the basics of this topic 🤦‍♂️. In actuality the closing of a percentage of farms is not about climate change at all, but about nitrogen deposits that are destroying the little flora and fauna we have. If we keep depositing nitrogen at the rate we do now, our forests are modeled to die within 15 years and overgrown with nitrogen-hungry plant species like heather. The Netherlands is half the size of Florida and the world’s second largest food exporter, it doesn’t take a genius to realize that this environmentally unfriendly intensive farming is destroying our environment and we need to adapt.

I’m 28 years old and my friend group consists of highly educated people (I am a medical doctor and my friends are all either also medical doctors or doing a PhD in biomedicine/biology), and none of them likes Elon. It’s a small sample size but my family and friends are who I speak to everyday and this is what I observe in the real world, and not polls about his popularity on the internet. And I have to say it gets harder and harder these days for me to defend him. As an investor I am kind of hoping that Tom Zhu will take over soon.
I take some of your points...but there was a time when all we heard from were ‘experts’...most self appointed experts, politicians and journalists....then came the Internet and suddenly Joe Schmoe can have a say....then came twitter and Joe can now speak directly to the great and good...whether they are in the US or Holland. Personally I think it’s a good thing

Reactions: T3SLAROD
I take some of your points...but there was a time when all we heard from were ‘experts’...most self appointed experts, politicians and journalists....then came the Internet and suddenly Joe Schmoe can have a say....then came twitter and Joe can now speak directly to the great and good...whether they are in the US or Holland. Personally I think it’s a good thing
I understand your concern, but it has only been recently that individuals like Joe Schmoe have been given a platform to voice their opinions. We are currently in a time where it is unclear if this trend is beneficial for society as a whole. Elon Musk may believe that it is, as he advocates for empowering the masses, but the unfortunate truth is that the majority of people are often incorrect in their assessments (including myself, yourself, and Elon Musk). The world's issues, both significant and trivial, are far too intricate and constantly evolving for anyone to fully comprehend. Those who have the best chance of understanding these problems are the actual experts (not self-proclaimed ones) who have dedicated their lives to studying the specific issue they are working on. However, their voices are often drowned out by the louder voices of individuals who lack knowledge or awareness (or are actually aware of it which makes them kind of evil) of the consequences of their public opinions and actions, stirring up societal unrest against those who genuinely want to make a positive difference.

I understand your concern, but it has only been recently that individuals like Joe Schmoe have been given a platform to voice their opinions. We are currently in a time where it is unclear if this trend is beneficial for society as a whole. Elon Musk may believe that it is, as he advocates for empowering the masses, but the unfortunate truth is that the majority of people are often incorrect in their assessments (including myself, yourself, and Elon Musk). The world's issues, both significant and trivial, are far too intricate and constantly evolving for anyone to fully comprehend. Those who have the best chance of understanding these problems are the actual experts (not self-proclaimed ones) who have dedicated their lives to studying the specific issue they are working on. However, their voices are often drowned out by the louder voices of individuals who lack knowledge or awareness (or are actually aware of it which makes them kind of evil) of the consequences of their public opinions and actions, stirring up societal unrest against those who genuinely want to make a positive difference.
Before the internet...in my field and probably yours...the experts who you saw in the media were often not the best but the ones who self promoted the best (or worse those with a face for television or any qualified women who was beautiful). The journalists, who mediated everything the average person ever saw were often the least informed.
The world of experts now has to compete with the voice of the lay person...to me, that’s a huge improvement.

The truth is the average Joe Schmoe is not bringing facts, reason, or understanding to a discussion. Most people simply do not take the time to dig into a topic and gather data. Instead they react with emotion that bolsters their existing opinions. The result is we end up with mob behavior pushing an agenda. Nonsense from the bottom up is not an improvement from nonsense from the top down. I don't know the solution but Twitter obviously is not it.

The truth is the average Joe Schmoe is not bringing facts, reason, or understanding to a discussion. Most people simply do not take the time to dig into a topic and gather data. Instead they react with emotion that bolsters their existing opinions. The result is we end up with mob behavior pushing an agenda. Nonsense from the bottom up is not an improvement from nonsense from the top down. I don't know the solution but Twitter obviously is not it.
When you bring your ideas and experience of driving and owning a Tesla to this forum...do you think that they should be dismissed out of hand because you are not a company expert employee ? I do not...I think the lay person has a point of view that a wise ‘expert’ should consider

When you bring your ideas and experience of driving and owning a Tesla to this forum...do you think that they should be dismissed out of hand because you are not a company expert employee ? I do not...I think the lay person has a point of view that a wise ‘expert’ should consider
You example doesn't work because in this case I have direct knowledge, as well as over 15 years of constant research into all related topics. What happens most of the time is people make knee jerk emotional responses without any experience or research.

You example doesn't work because in this case I have direct knowledge, as well as over 15 years of constant research into all related topics. What happens most of the time is people make knee jerk emotional responses without any experience or research.
But there is my point in a nutshell...you value your own opinion and judgment for the reasons you say....but so can other people....there are tens of thousands on this very forum who have valid opinions...be it on Tesla, ice cars, Twitter or whatever subject

I can’t believe this has to be explained to you but…Someone’s opinion on a brand or item is not the same as a group of idiots pushing each other’s vaccination misinformation out to all their other idiot followers. The fact is the majority of people are too stupid to use social media with any caution or skepticism so they end up as useful idiots pushing misinformation for a group they don’t really know for reasons they don’t understand. The herd mentality is dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.