Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
New York Times
Opinion | Elon Musk, the Donald of Silicon Valley

He is prone to unhinged Twitter eruptions. He can’t handle criticism. He scolds the news media for its purported dishonesty and threatens to create a Soviet-like apparatus to keep tabs on it. He suckers people to fork over cash in exchange for promises he hasn’t kept. He’s a billionaire whose business flirts with bankruptcy. He’s sold himself as an establishment-crushing iconoclast when he’s really little more than an unusually accomplished B.S. artist. His legions of devotees are fanatics and, let’s face it, a bit stupid.

I speak of Tesla chief executive Elon Musk, the Donald Trump of Silicon Valley.

That's about one of the worst comparisons I've ever seen. Yes, both are ranting on Twitter to some degree. One is quite possibly mentally ill who somehow managed to fail upwards and rants about things that are factually false. It's very rare he ever gets his facts straight.

Elon has pretty much done nothing but succeed against the odds. The number of people who create billion dollar companies from scratch are very few, but Elon is alone in creating three companies worth more than a billion today (Paypal, Tesla, and SpaceX). He didn't start Tesla, but he was an early investor and saved the company when it was teetering on collapsing. He also doesn't own any significant part of Paypal today, but he made it what it is. He had plans to take Paypal much further than where it is now, but he had the company sold out from under him.

And what Elon rants about is mostly setting the facts straight when others get them wrong. And even when he rants an opinion, he can usually back it up with some kind of facts and his conclusion, while open to debate at times, are factually sound. Even when he can't be proven right, there is usually some possibility he is right.

Basically he is comparing two outspoken public figures and claiming they are equivalent when about the only thing they have in common is being outspoken public figures.

Stephens piece has to be classified in the op-ed section because classifying it as “opinion” enables the NYTimes to rationalize that it’s very bad journalism. The facts are wrong and the piece is incredibly biased. And calling defenders of Tesla “stupid”? He obviously hasn’t talked to very many.

In order to call it bad journalism, you first have to figure out whether it made or lost money for the New York Times. If it made money, it's good journalism, if it lost money, it's bad journalism.

Reactions: Electroman
That's about one of the worst comparisons I've ever seen. Yes, both are ranting on Twitter to some degree. One is quite possibly mentally ill who somehow managed to fail upwards and rants about things that are factually false. It's very rare he ever gets his facts straight.

Elon has pretty much done nothing but succeed against the odds. The number of people who create billion dollar companies from scratch are very few, but Elon is alone in creating three companies worth more than a billion today (Paypal, Tesla, and SpaceX). He didn't start Tesla, but he was an early investor and saved the company when it was teetering on collapsing. He also doesn't own any significant part of Paypal today, but he made it what it is. He had plans to take Paypal much further than where it is now, but he had the company sold out from under him.

And what Elon rants about is mostly setting the facts straight when others get them wrong. And even when he rants an opinion, he can usually back it up with some kind of facts and his conclusion, while open to debate at times, are factually sound. Even when he can't be proven right, there is usually some possibility he is right.

Basically he is comparing two outspoken public figures and claiming they are equivalent when about the only thing they have in common is being outspoken public figures.

Yes but Elon certainly should have known better than to publicly admonish journalists the way he did. Thought it was the stupidest thing when Trump started doing this and to see Elon doing the same thing is perplexing. Find this new fight of Elon's very troubling and tremendously misguided. I'm a huge Elon fanboy but this cannot continue. Let us fight the clickbait media and Elon can focus on what he does well...like making tons of cool stuff.

I'd really really really like to know and understand what exactly is it about journalist that takes them beyond critique?
Are they so very knowledgeable that I have to quietly accept their picture of reality?
Are they so very insecure that I have to pay attention on my words not to hurt their feelings?
Are they ... hmm, what exactly?

They are by definition people who cannot do anything else than just speak.
If they could, they would.

The world is what it is primarily because their words are untouchable, their reality the only one acceptable.
And anyone disagreeing with them must keep silent.

EfOf.

Reactions: landis and ATC@LWSK
New York Times
Opinion | Elon Musk, the Donald of Silicon Valley

He is prone to unhinged Twitter eruptions. He can’t handle criticism. He scolds the news media for its purported dishonesty and threatens to create a Soviet-like apparatus to keep tabs on it. He suckers people to fork over cash in exchange for promises he hasn’t kept. He’s a billionaire whose business flirts with bankruptcy. He’s sold himself as an establishment-crushing iconoclast when he’s really little more than an unusually accomplished B.S. artist. His legions of devotees are fanatics and, let’s face it, a bit stupid.

I speak of Tesla chief executive Elon Musk, the Donald Trump of Silicon Valley.

That's not even wrong.

(with thanks to @mongo)

• Disagree
  • Love
Reactions: Aieukl378 and mongo
That's not even wrong.

(with thanks to @mongo)

Maybe, as of late:
"He is prone to unhinged Twitter eruptions. He can’t handle criticism. He scolds the news media for its purported dishonesty and threatens to create a Soviet-like apparatus to keep tabs on it."

And because of this(the above) he's going to be compared to Trump and instead of aligning himself and Tesla with the media he's choosing to publicly belittle them with the consequences being this piece being published in the NYT...and there will be more.

Because I know Elon is a smart dude I think he'll apologize and move on...just hope it's soon before it gets worse.

Not this whatsoever:
"He suckers people to fork over cash in exchange for promises he hasn’t kept. He’s a billionaire whose business flirts with bankruptcy. He’s sold himself as an establishment-crushing iconoclast when he’s really little more than an unusually accomplished B.S. artist. His legions of devotees are fanatics and, let’s face it, a bit stupid.
I speak of Tesla chief executive Elon Musk, the Donald Trump of Silicon Valley."

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: imherkimer
The problem Tesla has isn't really fake news.

It's the obsession news sites have with everything surrounding Tesla.

In a lot of ways it's a double edge sword because on the one hand it afforded Tesla massive success in being able to get hundreds of thousands of people to put a $1K of their hard earned money on a car sight unseen that was a long ways away from being delivered. Which is really unheard of at such a scale.

Of course this magnifying effect is also true of negative things. Any negative gets blown out of proportions. The recent issue regarding the Model 3 brakes is a perfect example. In most cases there would be a small blurb about a problem spotted in a specific make/model of a vehicle regarding inconsistent braking distance. Where you might hear about it if you're really into automotive news.

But, EVERYONE heard about it because it involved a Tesla.

In this particular case it was right up Elon's alley to handle the situation, and to put out the flames. I think he did a fine job of it. Where he took responsibility for it, and promised to fix it.

What he hasn't handled right is the Autopilot accidents.

I have NO QUESTION that these are being disproportionally reported that makes Autopilot look bad.

This is a bad thing to Tesla itself, but it's actually a good thing when it comes to automotive safety.

The problem is a lot of people have ADAS (driver aids) systems in their cars, but they don't really know how they work. This is especially true of adaptive cruise control. So what happens is people get overly confidence in them, and they trust them without knowing the limitations of them.

The correct way of handling the situation would be to find data to show that the Tesla system wasn't all that different. To use it as a way of educating not just Tesla owners, but owners of other systems who might not understand how those work.

But, instead Elon decided to attack the customer. That they didn't have their hands at the steering wheel. That was horribly bad tactic because owners like myself know the system doesn't always know if I am or if I'm not. It also doesn't make a lick of a difference as I can hold the steering wheel while texting. It's doesn't require any engagement in the driving task at all. So what was the point of revealing the time span that the system didn't detect the hands? Most people would likely assume the driver wasn't paying attention so there is no need to double down on it.

Elon has lost a massive amount of credibility over the last 6 months if not longer.

The failure to delivery anything on the FSD front. This is a package they've been selling for over a year with nothing to show. At this point most assume it's vaporware.

Lots of people feel that Elon did a bait and switch in regards to the $35K Model 3.

On TMC we're isolated from a lot of the negativity, but on sites like Arstechnica, Jalopnik, etc it's pretty much a blood bath in the comments sections.

What's fun is to post something identical on both an Arstechnica article, and a TMC thread about the same thing. To see how many likes, and dislikes it will get.

On this site I have 3 disagrees on my comment about Elon needing to rebuild his credibility. Where I've seen it take a massive hit in recent months in how people perceive him. The person above me also got 3 disagrees even though he (I'm assuming a bad horse is a male horse) did a great job of explaining why Elon came off looking unhinged to a lot of people.

Coincidently the three disagrees were from the same people so I think they were voting with their identity, and not on what was actually written.

A couple weeks ago I posted roughly the same thing as Elon has been really been unhinged for a couple months now. But, I posted in on an Arstechnica article. That got a lot of likes and very little disagrees.

Kinda feels like high school all over again.

Yeah, especially since you’ve gone on and on about a few disagrees and how they can’t possibly be valid for this reason or that. If it’s consistency you crave in that department, just PM those people who disagree with your posts and send them a direct link to your same comments on various other sites so they can assure you they still disagree. :rolleyes:

Well...maybe when you have a media that is no longer focused on reporting facts but is instead focused on sensationalism, when you have a media that has screwed up our culture to the point that men are supposed to act like women and for women be more like men and that talk science but don't have a clue about science or math because they flunked math & science in school, they need to be taken on. Elon has observed what many of you are missing and that is that in today's media, Trump's tactics work. He boxes them into attacking him which exposes their bias and effectively discredits them with people that are not locked into their views. The more they respond the more their bias shows and the less objective they appear to be. Once credibility is lost, no one will listen to what you have to say. Perception unchallenged becomes reality. Elon, can't allow the perception that EAP is killing people to go unchallenged or soon politicians will jump on the bandwagon to have it banned. Elon is smart enough to see what will come if he takes no action.

Yes but Elon certainly should have known better than to publicly admonish journalists the way he did. Thought it was the stupidest thing when Trump started doing this and to see Elon doing the same thing is perplexing. Find this new fight of Elon's very troubling and tremendously misguided. I'm a huge Elon fanboy but this cannot continue. Let us fight the clickbait media and Elon can focus on what he does well...like making tons of cool stuff.

If *we’d* been successful at fighting the clickbait media, Elon wouldn’t be doing what he is now to try and correct them. *We* failed. Odds are in his favor that he won’t.

Well...maybe when you have a media that is no longer focused on reporting facts but is instead focused on sensationalism, when you have a media that has screwed up our culture to the point that men are supposed to act like women and for women be more like men and that talk science but don't have a clue about science or math because they flunked math & science in school, they need to be taken on. Elon has observed what many of you are missing and that is that in today's media, Trump's tactics work. He boxes them into attacking him which exposes their bias and effectively discredits them with people that are not locked into their views. The more they respond the more their bias shows and the less objective they appear to be. Once credibility is lost, no one will listen to what you have to say. Perception unchallenged becomes reality. Elon, can't allow the perception that EAP is killing people to go unchallenged or soon politicians will jump on the bandwagon to have it banned. Elon is smart enough to see what will come if he takes no action.

Well, we as Elon supporters defend Tesla and shoot down the false reporting. This is not a thing Elon need to get mixed up in...and taking a page from the Trump playbook is just a horrible idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.