Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 - Remove rear trunk beep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a small speaker inside the rear hatch trim. I was applying sound deadening to my car earlier this year and went to remove the trim. While I was in there I planned to disconnect the speaker. To my surprise, in the process of removing the trim, I accidentally ripped the wires out of the speaker. Mission accomplished? My rear hatch is quiet now.

If you do decide to do this, buy extra plastic clips as you will inevitably break some in the process.

Reactions: rickyjb
I'm pretty sure OP is referring to the liftgate beeping sound.

There's a small middle speaker in the liftgate trim that has a white connector. Disconnect that and you're good.

I believe you can just pop out the speaker grill and then unclip it.

Here's an unrelated thread post but it shows what I'm talking about:

Recontenting the speakers in the rear hatch?

Another option if you're already taking apart the liftgate is by disconnecting the wire from the other side. Check out the video below and you can see the white connector at the 7:05 mark.

Good luck.

There's a small middle speaker in the liftgate trim that has a white connector. Disconnect that and you're good.

Another option if you're already taking apart the liftgate is by disconnecting the wire from the other side. Check out the video below and you can see the white connector at the 7:05 mark.

Good luck.

Can confirm that it works to kill that sound and with no errors for one year now

I wanted to add some notes to anyone else who lands here looking for how to stop the blare.
  1. Just prying with spudger tools, I was unable to pull the speaker cover off without the metal clips getting bent out of shape. I was only able to remove them intact when I inserted a flat tool to press on the metal side close to me. Even then it takes a lot of force to pull the clips free (the far side also has a retention spring that I couldn't reach). I was able to bend the metal clips that were damaged back into shape before reinstalling (don't try to reinstall with the clips still in the holes - you must remove them and reattach to the panel after reshaping).
  2. If any of the clips do come off the panel and are left in the holes in the hatch be very careful with your fingers - pulling the plastic out caused little metal needles to bend and poke up and into my fingers as I was tugging on the panel :'(
  3. When reinstalling, snap the far center clips around the buzzer first. The hatch is not well supported and they will not snap in without supporting the plastic behind them. All the others went in fine just by pressing the panel in place.
You might be able to disconnect the white buzzer connector without popping all the snaps in the back. There is a little white button inside the black buzzer connector housing that needs to be pushed in and then the connector comes off readily (you can see the hole in the pic that you need to push down into to release the white connector). The right tool could do this with most of the panel snaps in place (I only suggest this because they really were a bear to pop on my 2018 P100D). Here's a pic under the panel for reference (before disconnecting the buzzer in the middle):
20211219_133104.jpg

Reactions: Russell

Thank you for this. Super easy trick and you can always restore it. No need to reassemble everything.

I actually opened just the front side of the grill and was able to take off that white plug.