Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wants to replace my Model Y Standard Range battery pack with an LFP pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive a 2021 Tesla Model Y Standard Range that I bought almost exactly three years to the day from today - in March 2021, ordered in January 2021. In case you're not aware this was a very short lived version of the Model Y and was only offered for sale for about 6 weeks in early 2021. Nearly identical in every way to the LR model but with only rear wheel drive and 244 miles of range.

It's been at the service center for about two weeks with a battery issue. They called me yesterday and said that it's going to take a long time to get a replacement pack for my car (I presume there's not many of them around). Then they offered to replace my pack with a new LFP pack. Said they have most of the parts in stock and might be able to have it ready the next day. Asked me to come in and sign something to authorize that work.

Verbally they explained that the acceleration would be impacted by about .5 seconds on 0-60 and mentioned that they had to upgrade the suspension a bit to handle a little more weight. Also would get about 10 miles more range. I suggested that it would be just like the current RWD car with 260 miles and the advisor concurred.

I rushed over and signed it before they closed as I was excited to get my car back quickly.

Well today I get a message that they need another part and the ETA is about 1.5 weeks away. So I'll have to wait.

In the meantime I get to ponder if I'm really pleased with this deal or not.

Cons:

car will be heavier, slower, less efficient.. might go through tires sooner, might handle worse

Pros:

brand new battery pack, not refurbished
new pack better than my three year old pack which was not really delivering 244 miles on a full charge (not that I charged fully)
longer life span of battery since a) it's new and b) it's LFP

Since I've got time to wait and ponder, I wonder if I should accept this deal or push for something else (that might be better).

Any suggestions

View attachment 1030922
What makes you think its brand new? I am very confident that its a refurb. I had to have my battery replaced due to hitting something in the road and Tesla told me and many others, that only brand new cars get brand new batteries. Everyone else gets Refurbs! Nowhere in that letter does it say Brand New!

Tesla told me and many others, that only brand new cars get brand new batteries
That isn't true. It may be the case for the majority of warranty repairs, but they certainly have put new batteries in vehicles in some cases. (Even for out of warranty repairs they have given some people the option of a refurb, or paying more for a new pack.)

That isn't true. It may be the case for the majority of warranty repairs, but they certainly have put new batteries in vehicles in some cases. (Even for out of warranty repairs they have given some people the option of a refurb, or paying more for a new pack.)
Not when I had my battery replaced. Information came straight from multiple people at Tesla including the insurance company. Only new cars then received brand new batteries. I had my work done at a Tesla dealer.

Not when I had my battery replaced. Information came straight from multiple people at Tesla including the insurance company. Only new cars then received brand new batteries. I had my work done at a Tesla dealer.

It is perhaps more correct to say that Tesla promises replacements which may be refurbished and have at least the capacity that the failed battery had before the failure, but Tesla may choose to install a new battery at its discretion, presumably if it is unable to come up with a refurbished battery that matches the capacity of the vehicle's battery before it failed. I.e. you should only count on getting one that is the same as what your failed one was before failure (which is apparently what most customers actually get), but you may get lucky and get a better battery or even a new battery.

Indeed, it appears that the supply of SR/SR+ NCA packs for warranty use is getting scarce, so Tesla is now offering at least some Model 3 SR/SR+ customers LFP packs as warranty replacements: LFP batteries offered for warranty replacements . So this Model Y SR warranty replacement with an LFP pack is not unprecedented. Unless you really value the 0.5 second faster 0-60 time, you may find the LFP battery to be better due to likely less degradation (particularly at high state of charge) and lower risk of a battery fire.

No difference that matters. The only time I really step on it off the line is when I’m taking someone for a demo ride. So after three years of ownership the demo drives are fewer and far between. So while there may be a slowdown I can’t really tell as I hardly ever punch it.
Now that SR batteries can be unlocked to 320miles range, do you feel like if you waited for the standard battery replacement, you’d have the option to upgrade now by unlocking range? Perhaps this is why Tesla was delayed on getting your standard one as they simply didn’t produce them anymore and they were now LR limited ones? 🤷🏽‍♂️

No, SR batteries cannot be unlocked. (SR batteries are different than the batteries in the 2023/2024 RWD vehicles.)
Sorry I meant ‘locked up’ LR batteries which seems to be the case for the last 3-4 months. Oops!

So I guess they weren’t offering an updated new battery. It was the old kw but new SR battery vs LFP. Got it.

I drive a 2021 Tesla Model Y Standard Range that I bought almost exactly three years to the day from today - in March 2021, ordered in January 2021. In case you're not aware this was a very short lived version of the Model Y and was only offered for sale for about 6 weeks in early 2021. Nearly identical in every way to the LR model but with only rear wheel drive and 244 miles of range.

It's been at the service center for about two weeks with a battery issue. They called me yesterday and said that it's going to take a long time to get a replacement pack for my car (I presume there's not many of them around). Then they offered to replace my pack with a new LFP pack. Said they have most of the parts in stock and might be able to have it ready the next day. Asked me to come in and sign something to authorize that work.

Verbally they explained that the acceleration would be impacted by about .5 seconds on 0-60 and mentioned that they had to upgrade the suspension a bit to handle a little more weight. Also would get about 10 miles more range. I suggested that it would be just like the current RWD car with 260 miles and the advisor concurred.

I rushed over and signed it before they closed as I was excited to get my car back quickly.

Well today I get a message that they need another part and the ETA is about 1.5 weeks away. So I'll have to wait.

In the meantime I get to ponder if I'm really pleased with this deal or not.

Cons:

car will be heavier, slower, less efficient.. might go through tires sooner, might handle worse

Pros:

brand new battery pack, not refurbished
new pack better than my three year old pack which was not really delivering 244 miles on a full charge (not that I charged fully)
longer life span of battery since a) it's new and b) it's LFP

Since I've got time to wait and ponder, I wonder if I should accept this deal or push for something else (that might be better).

Any suggestions
My only concern is that since this configuration has never existed, what "off the shelf" Frankenstein's monster springs and dampers are they going to use?

Keith

<edit>Nevermind, you got the springs and shocks from the RWD Model Y LFP cars that the rest of the world gets. </edit>

Last edited: