Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally an actual demand lever.
It will be interesting to see if this helps increase sales significantly.

I have noticed that because the leader said he thinks about 300 miles is enough range some people dismiss people who want more range.

If Tesla’s has spare battery capacity for the Y then no harm in offering a version with the longest range possible, which will then tell us what the actual demand for longer range is.

Last edited:
YES.
We cannot break a promise .
Yes, I wish Elon sold his shares differently than dumping in the open market . I wish he never bought the birdie. I wish he doesn’t tweet political stuff as he is the face of Tesla . But these issues don’t give us the right to break a deal once made in good faith and promised compensation .
We can always try to have the board draw up guidelines for handling of future compensation and share sale etc .
A promise is a promise and a Deal once made cannot be rescinded unilaterally .
Hasn’t Musk broken several promises regarding his stock selling?

So, not important in the scheme of anything.

Valid to a certain extent. I could come up with dozens of reasons why it probably isn’t an issue. Can you come up with, say, three reasons from the other side? It’s an exercise in looking for a path forward that you may have overlooked by defaulting to the ‘this is bad’.
“To all concerned:

You may be aware that there has been a recent adjustment with the Supercharger organization which is presently undergoing a sudden and thorough restructuring. If you have already received this email, please disregard it as we are attempting to connect with our suppliers and contractors. As part of this process, we are in the midst of establishing new leadership roles, prioritizing projects, and streamlining our payment procedures. Due to the transitional nature of this phase, we are asking for your patience with our response time.

I understand that this period of change may be challenging and that patience is not easy when expecting to be paid, however, I want to express my sincere appreciation for your understanding and support as we navigate through this transition. At this time, please hold on breaking ground on any newly awarded construction projects and planned pre-construction walks. If currently working on an active Supercharging construction site, please continue. Contact [email redacted] for further questions, comments, and concerns. Additionally, hold on working on any new material orders. Contact [email redacted] for further questions, comments, and concerns. If waiting on delayed payment, please contact [email redacted] for a status update. Thank you for your cooperation and patience.”

I personally think that contractors are interested to get their payment and not receiving it “would be an issue “.

PBD compares Musk's move to limit super charger expansion to Rockefeller - an interesting theory. I'm not saying I buy it, but I enjoy listening to speculation.
I’m not buying this. They’re making it out to be 4D chess. It’s looking more and more like he got bored with Twitter, jumped back into Tesla, felt the urge to assert himself with Big Bold Moves and started flailing wildly. Pigeon management. In five years this supercharger team move and the the CT will be case studies in business schools of what not to do.

I’m not buying this. They’re making it out to be 4D chess. It’s looking more and more like he got bored with Twitter, jumped back into Tesla, felt the urge to assert himself with Big Bold Moves and started flailing wildly. Pigeon management. In five years this supercharger team move and the the CT will be case studies in business schools of what not to do.
Wait, didn't you guys *want* him to focus on Tesla?

In 5 years he'd be celebrated as the man returned US astronauts to the Moon and CT would be the best selling EV truck in the US, the supercharger team move would be compared to his Starlink team move as an ingenious management maneuver only he can pull off.

PSA: Those that manually verified our shareholder status will NEED to re-submit latest (April 2024) statement again in our Tesla account (Profile Settings > Shareholder Preferences Preference). In order to be eligible for future shareholder perks, including invitation to upcoming annual sharefholder meeting.

Those people their broker does have latest April statement, me included, just uploaded what you have (end of March) and hope for the best.
View attachment 1044232

The fly in the ointment is you have to give your password to the account(s) with the shares. This means a data breach could easily wipe you out.

In five years this supercharger team move and the the CT will be case studies in business schools of what not to do.
You make it sound like the cybertruck is objectively a failure. Where is the evidence for this? Is it late? Definitely, but to quote a famous japanese video game maker
A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever.
The cybertruck will be around a long time. There seems to be no shortage of demand, and reviews from actual real CT owners are exceptionally good. Even reviews from mainstream auto review sources are extremely good, despite tesla's history of zero advertising and elon's controversial personality.

We still don't know just how many of those reservations will be converted to sales, but there is zero sign of it being a problem. They are still only accepting configuration from the super-expensive 'foundation series' orders, and even at that price, they have not run out of orders yet. The only recall or issue of note has been a pedal cover, since fixed. In the meantime triple-a-list megacelebrities are falling over themselves to be pictured with the vehicle, a vehicle we all know they had to pay top dollar for, which they are then promoting at zero cost to Tesla.

You might be right, but I am placing a big bet on the cybertruck indeed being a business school case study, due to its massive success with zero marketing.

Wait, didn't you guys *want* him to focus on Tesla?

In 5 years he'd be celebrated as the man returned US astronauts to the Moon and CT would be the best selling EV truck in the US, the supercharger team move would be compared to his Starlink team move as an ingenious management maneuver only he can pull off.

Some people excel in accentuating the negative. They will only ever look for the worse in any situation. Maybe this behavior triggers endorphins which become addictive over repetition?

These sort of people may also have a reduced aptitude for making lemonade when they have been presented with an abundance of lemons.

I don't think they could count them as sales, as the purchaser can back out at any point in the process. Maybe they should create a third category for vehicles in inventory/transit that are matched to an order. But there is nothing comparable for other OEMs, so it would just get added back to the inventory for comparison to peers.
This is really not complex:
1. Tesla recognizes sales on completion of delivery to final purchaser.
2. Almost all others recognize sale when transferred to dealer/distributor, not always defined the same way.
Conditionality, I.e. buyer attempting return after purchase is either a warranty return or a sale of a used car.
There really is not anything vague, uncertain or inappropriate in any of this under GAAP.
FWIW, decades ago I bought a BMW M3 convertible that was deeply defective. In the end, after some legalistic wrangling, they bought the car back and I ended with a different model. Although that was a warranty return in fact, it was treated in accounting and contractual terms as a trade in , one that just happened to be at exactly the entire purchase price of the M3. The accounting convention they used allowed them to sidestep a charge to warranty expense. That one could have been questioned.

In the vast majority of cases the ‘conditionality’ to which you refer could apply to other OEMs but not to Tesla. We should applaud Tesla’s accounting disciplines.

Finally, many other OEM have prepaid or pre-committed vehicles that are so identified in transit. High end and newly introduced high-demand vehicles are often designated that way. In such cases the vehicle, if designated for a final purchaser in production, is frequently transferred to dealer at final production even prior to shipping. That is quite rare in mass market but not uncommon for high end vehicles.
Again Tesla NEVER does that!

Unless one LEASES the M3--all leases get the $7.5k EV tax credit which brings the M3 down to $299/month...an absolute steal.
When I buy a car, these are my reasons:
  1. Years 4-10 I can put on robotaxi network and make dollars
  2. Years 1-4 it drives itself
  3. It's a Tesla with all the other bells and whistles
Leasing is a non starter for me as I can't guarantee robotaxi pay to play. If Rivian get Tesla FSD, I won't look in detail as they are a bit big for RTs in UK. Yes, I'm different to most.

Reactions: ShareLofty
When companies and people leave other locations for States such as Texas it’s often because opportunities and Governance are not show stoppers.

Unlike a lot of comedy of the past (ie Johnny Carson) which was politically neutral, punch lines today are typically associated with a political POV.
Actually not so much those things but two things: taxes and minimal zoning. Of course both of those do subsume, perhaps, to givernsnce.
Very wealthy individuals often redomicile to Florida for two reason: minimal personal taxes and general ‘household’ rules. That does not necessarily mean such individual spend much time there..
Corporate legal domicile frequently has not connection to actual business conduct. That is why many corporations no longer e namoured of Delaware Chancery Court relocate to Nevada where Corporate domicile is consistently hospitable.
As for choosing Texas? I only can quote my own tax attorney, onetime holder of TSLA. “What were they thinking?”. He argues that the new Texas Business Courts:

…Were deigned for explicit political control.