Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger team sacked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He has now damaged the brand given an awful lot of people will no longer trust the company.
You know what is the best thing about being the richest or the second richest person (for someone pedantic) on this planet - there are millions ready to work for them for peanuts. Unfortunately we will never have that luxury so won’t understand that part of that world.

Watching the mental gymnastics of his acolytes as they describe this as some 5D chess move is cracking entertainment.
I saw a comment on a social thread yesterday that went, "the MSM are playing draughts while Elon is playing chess."

My initial thought was that a) there isn't much reporting in the MSM, it seems to be mostly Tesla owners reacting on SM, and b) what happens if the game actually is draughts and not chess ;)

Reactions: Durzel

It seems abundantly clear that, whatever explanation we accept, the firing of the Supercharger team was not well-considered (and our readers seem to agree). Even if headcount reduction is necessary, the whole team shouldn’t be laid off. Even if it was necessary as a retaliatory measure – which would not be a good rationale – it still would be wiser to retain some part of it so as to avoid the chaos suggested by the email above.

Tesla... no it's Messla. Their board of directors is clearly in violation of their feduciary responsibility to the stock holders if they allow this chaos to continue. Fire Musk now or risk being sued.

I just voted all my shares against Musk's outrageous pay package and todderish "I'm taking my toys" move from Delaware to Texas. Pay packages are meant to retain talent. Musk is singlehandedly cratering demand at Tesla and needs to go.

I don’t agree with all doomongers who think musk is bad for the company. They said the same thing about Steve jobs and we know what happened after he was forced out.
Steve killed off projects that weren’t going anywhere. This is more like killing off the iPhone.

The Supercharger network is one of the main reasons you’d pick a Tesla over another EV, even if you feel another EV was superior otherwise. It was going extremely well, they were doing a great job and customers loved them. Reviews of the cars would often mention the Supercharger network as a big reason to pick Tesla over another brand.

He goes to China, then fires an extremely important part of his company. Wonder if they offered him $100 billion to give them FSD tech and then sink the company 😉

Reactions: MD70
He goes to China, then fires an extremely important part of his company. Wonder if they offered him $100 billion to give them FSD tech and then sink the company 😉

They wouldn’t pay a Jiao for FSD. By all accounts, there are several Chinese FSD products with similar, if not better performance and human interaction than Tesla’s offering.

And more importantly, they all have access to full lane level Chinese mapping data where as Tesla have only recently acquired access to a highly filtered version, so Tesla on a back foot with that. It’s a myth that FSD does not use mapping data so will be hampered by not having the same richness of data that the local offerings have.

Nobody has thought, that having a separate supercharging team was better than integrating the role with another part of the company. I can see the benefits of merging the supercharger division in to the power division, as they are integrating solar and mega packs into supercharger sites. The uk’s problem is the DNOs when it comes to opening up new sites. I am waiting for a couple of sites that would benefit me, the sites are just waiting for the power to be connected.

It seems abundantly clear that, whatever explanation we accept, the firing of the Supercharger team was not well-considered (and our readers seem to agree). Even if headcount reduction is necessary, the whole team shouldn’t be laid off. Even if it was necessary as a retaliatory measure – which would not be a good rationale – it still would be wiser to retain some part of it so as to avoid the chaos suggested by the email above.

Tesla... no it's Messla. Their board of directors is clearly in violation of their feduciary responsibility to the stock holders if they allow this chaos to continue. Fire Musk now or risk being sued.

I just voted all my shares against Musk's outrageous pay package and todderish "I'm taking my toys" move from Delaware to Texas. Pay packages are meant to retain talent. Musk is singlehandedly cratering demand at Tesla and needs to go.

Tesla is done.

Musk will never step down, his ego is too big. An organisation runs on the good will of its employees, he might have vision but I fear his lost touch with reality, there is a reason why doing drugs isn't advised.

Leadership matters, anyone from Teslas Autopilot, drivetrain, software teams can walk into a job at Ford, BMW, Toyota, Google etc etc. Look at what's happening in RedBull, it wouldn't take much to loss your most important talent.

Tesla now is almost unrecognisable as the company whom I was happy to spend ££££££ with back in 2015.

Tesla is done.

Musk will never step down, his ego is too big. An organisation runs on the good will of its employees, he might have vision but I fear his lost touch with reality, there is a reason why doing drugs isn't advised.

Leadership matters, anyone from Teslas Autopilot, drivetrain, software teams can walk into a job at Ford, BMW, Toyota, Google etc etc. Look at what's happening in RedBull, it wouldn't take much to loss your most important talent.

Tesla now is almost unrecognisable as the company whom I was happy to spend ££££££ with back in 2015.
I certainly hope not, I think this is going to get very messy this year with shareholders trying to oust Musk, and clean up the board as a whole as it's clear they can't stand up to the CEO when he's making bad decisions.

Sacking people when you've had a bad quarter and forecasts are saying the industry is going to have another is understandable, the problem was Elon getting angry at Tinucci pushing back and then firing the entire team down to ego.

Couldn't really come at a worse time for NACS either as most manufacturers had just moved over, and chargepoint operators really haven't had much of a chance to start building out their own NACS.

As many have said, the company needs a measured grown up in charge, Musk wants the FSD department at a guess, that's all an he would be gone.

Reactions: MD70 and Durzel
Can you point me to any information about these? I’m genuinely interested in reading more about all systems in the market.

A search for something like “chinese autonomous startups” is a good starting point. As well as startups, there are also some better known names. Several large western vehicle manufacturers are investing in some of these companies.

The sector is so fast paced that every month something big seems to occur so stories just a few months old are quite stale. Worth paying attention to the upcoming autonomous city tests >= L3.

China have been quietly concentrating on EVs for a while now and their ducks seem to be aligning. The Chinese market also expects that many vehicle classes have a high level of driver assistance so a large market to satisfy and lots of home grown talent able to meet that demand.

Tesla have a large amount of competition that by all accounts, the Chinese market see Tesla as expensive and boring. One of the reasons that some believe why they didn’t exhibit at the recent Beijing Motor Show is that it would have shown them up against cheaper and more exciting home grown offerings.

At very best I think Tesla will end up as one of many offerings and not THE offering. Which is how it should be. A market dominated by one company is not a good thing. IMHO.

Reactions: Roy Batty
At very best I think Tesla will end up as one of many offerings and not THE offering. Which is how it should be. A market dominated by one company is not a good thing. IMHO.
I totally agree and welcome a future with multiple autonomous driving systems. I just couldn't find an abundance of credible sources reviewing systems that are better than the Tesla one. I'm not saying the Tesla one is particularly good.

Shareholders should definitely vote to enrich the at times world’s richest man who has barely paid any attention to the company since buying Twitter, and who fires entire teams of people at 1am over email because of some professional pushback from an executive who is almost certainly far more knowledgeable on her department than he is.

Just stunning mismanagement.

There’s been noticeably little “it’s 5D chess, you don’t get it” from the usual suspects about this, which is telling. There’s no way to spin this as a smart move.

Shareholders should definitely vote to enrich the at times world’s richest man who has barely paid any attention to the company since buying Twitter, and who fires entire teams of people at 1am over email because of some professional pushback from an executive who is almost certainly far more knowledgeable on her department than he is.

This kind of leadership style essentially causes everyone to lose trust in the boss, and start questioning their own job. How any EV owner thinks the Tesla SC team have done a bad job is beyond me, so if Musks thinks they are 'disposable' as a team, who's next?

If you are talented individual working at Tesla why would you want to keep on working in an organisation that has you questioning if you will be sacked tomorrow because of what mood Musk is in? If I was any of Teslas competitors in Ai, software, drive train development I would be sending out offers of employment to anyone who's good and working at Tesla right now.

Last edited:
Frankly this has me questioning my order of my Model 3 Long Range from just the other week. There are of course still the existing superchargers and of course a lot of other networks in the UK but more just is having 2 EV's the right way to go. They have one bad quarter and EV sales hit a bump and all of a sudden the infrastructure investments are being pulled back massively.

Then of course the focus is clearly on FSD and robotics first, cars and everything else comes second and just doesn't seem important to Elon anymore. Maybe if it was about buying stocks and that approach I could see pumping the stock price then maybe but as a consumer buying a car, this doesn't fill me with confidence at all.

Reactions: Brolan and MD70
I just couldn't find an abundance of credible sources reviewing systems that are better than the Tesla one. I'm not saying the Tesla one is particularly good.

I was looking for a different article , but give this a look if you haven’t found it already- systems reviewed were last year and already newer versions developed and even newer planned. So article, albeit quite recent is also a bit stale.

Ease of use seem to be something these systems concentrate on. Whilst not to everyone’s taste, the Nio video from 2021 show quite a different approach to FSD.

The other videos worth a watch. Seems very capable even in road scenarios that are rarely seen in FSD videos.

Some other systems also doing L3 and L4.

Reactions: KennethS
Musk has always maintained Tesla isn’t a car company. I think few predicted the way Musk decided to prove it was to stop activity that supported it as a car company. I’m holding back saying he’s killing Tesla, but he’s getting close. He’s more Gerald Ratner than Steve Jobs at the moment, he opens his mouth and people think “oh dear.. what now…”

This kind of leadership style essentially causes everyone to lose trust in the boss, and start questioning their own job. How any EV owner thinks the Tesla SC team have done a bad job is beyond me, so if Musks thinks they are 'disposable' as a team, who's next?

If you are talented individual working at Tesla why would you want to keep on working in an organisation that has you questioning if you will be sacked tomorrow because of what mood Musk is in? If I was any of Teslas competitors in Ai, software, drive train development I would be sending out offers of employment to anyone who's good and working at Tesla right now.
Yup, though I do wonder whether this is broadly par for the course in America. It seems job protection is basically non existant, and there have been a number of significant & sudden job losses in the big tech companies in recent months. The only saving grace - I guess - is that these people probably accept that this treatment comes with the territory and is somewhat offset by their decent salaries. That doesn't apply to everyone though, there will be plenty of regular Joe non-engineers hit by this.

Musk's behaviour towards workers is just juvenile, and callous. When Meta laid off a bunch of people Mark wrote an email reassuring them about various health benefits, etc, thanking them for their contribution, basically making it sound unfortunate but necessary. I'm not suggesting that Zuckerberg is the benchmark, but as far as I understand it Tesla staff have been finding out they're fired when they can't log into their laptops or their keycards don't work after they've commuted in. If there had been an email that had gone round to the 500+ person team that Musk wiped out I'm sure we would have seen it by now.

None of this is new, of course. He did the same thing at Twitter. I saw a thought provoking comment earlier from someone who essentially said "all of the people, including me, that wished Musk paid more attention to Tesla are probably rethinking their choices now".

Reactions: MD70 and MrBadger