Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger PCN fine at new Tongham / Farnham location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surely it wouldn't be hard for tesla to implement an automatic site register once the car plugs in/out. I would have thought that a simple command to export/update to the site/hotel via csv file would suffice. I had one last year at a holiday inn. I had just picked up an i3 and was running on fumes per say and struggling with broken chargers and chargers that were in quarantine sites with no access. The holiday inn was shut and deserted and my mind was only set on having to get this charger going (had to register and put credit on bp app since contactless was not working) and to be fair, this might of saved the day as all I did was send the receipt/screen shot of the bp app that had all the details. Still caused me needless hassle imho.

Agree with others.... it's a money spinner as well as unnecessary grief and somewhat archaic system.

Surely it wouldn't be hard for tesla to implement an automatic site register once the car plugs in/out. I would have thought that a simple command to export/update to the site/hotel via csv file would suffice. I had one last year at a holiday inn. I had just picked up an i3 and was running on fumes per say and struggling with broken chargers and chargers that were in quarantine sites with no access. The holiday inn was shut and deserted and my mind was only set on having to get this charger going (had to register and put credit on bp app since contactless was not working) and to be fair, this might of saved the day as all I did was send the receipt/screen shot of the bp app that had all the details. Still caused me needless hassle imho.

Agree with others.... it's a money spinner as well as unnecessary grief and somewhat archaic system.
It feels like this should actually be a requirement for supercharging leases. If you want to offer SC, you've got to accept a list of car reg's and times, and stop mucking about with penalty charges for people legitimately using the superchargers.

It's a PITA for me as an able bodied person, but if you've got a kid in the car, or struggle to walk a distance, there is an accessibility element here, surely?

Morning all,

Quick warning to those who intend to use the new supercharger site at Tongham / Farnham, Surrey. It's a 250kW, so quite appealing for those in the area.
The car park requires you to register at the hotel reception in order to avoid a PCN fine.

If you've been issued a PCN, contact the reception desk who may be able to assist.

A lesson learned to check the signs (assuming they exist). I would have expected parking charges at public pay and display car parks, but this just seems like a money spinner. I struggle to comprehend why a hotel in the middle of nowhere, next to a major A-road, needs to have this level of enforcement. The Hogs Back Hotel is part of the same group as the hotel in Kings Lynn that operates a similar ANPR / parking enforcement system.
Apparently, these rip off charges have been successfully challenged in court. They rely on our "life's to short and can't be faffed " attitude and laugh all the way to the bank.

GOT ME!

I spoke to the hotel, and they couldn't care less. Hit them with some nasty and 100% on point reviews.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-04-18 at 09.47.57.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-18 at 09.47.57.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: Andrew_SE23
GOT ME!

I spoke to the hotel, and they couldn't care less. Hit them with some nasty and 100% on point reviews.
Did you get the fine while you were charging or is simply because you were at the location.
Tesla need to provide advice for each location regarding the presence of the "preying" mantis and how to avoid their insatiable blood sucking lust ....

( Me to SWMBO : "It's OK; I am calm" ).

It defies common sense that Tesla should invest ££££ in their superb bourgeoning
network without providing protection against the beasts in the bushed or the cts behind cameras.

Where were the cameras at Guilford when every .., yes every charging space was occupied by a non EV car......now that would have been a good use of celluloid .....
..... What's that SWMBO's saying "Kodak is a thing of the past!"
What! Why was I not told!?!

I AM CALM!!!!

Did you get the fine while you were charging or is simply because you were at the location.
Tesla need to provide advice for each location regarding the presence of the "preying" mantis and how to avoid their insatiable blood sucking lust ....

( Me to SWMBO : "It's OK; I am calm" ).

It defies common sense that Tesla should invest ££££ in their superb bourgeoning
network without providing protection against the beasts in the bushed or the cts behind cameras.

Where were the cameras at Guilford when every .., yes every charging space was occupied by a non EV car......now that would have been a good use of celluloid .....
..... What's that SWMBO's saying "Kodak is a thing of the past!"
What! Why was I not told!?!

I AM CALM!!!!
I was fined whilst charging. I have made several reviews about it on Google and trip advisor and made a formal complaint to the hotel. I'll see if anything comes back, however, this scam appears to well developed and working.

I was fined whilst charging. I have made several reviews about it on Google and trip advisor and made a formal complaint to the hotel. I'll see if anything comes back, however, this scam appears to well developed and working.
Outrageous situation.
Good that you spread the word although we are still too few and mildly weird in the general public's view for them to have sympathy - possibly quite the reverse🥲.
Tesla should be made aware; they might not give a rodent's rear end but at least they won't be able to deny knowledge in the future ( when we march🥳).
😀

I suspect they will - spent a lot of money to have retrospective restrictions added by landlord. If nothing else they might choose to put something into the small print of landlord agreements in future, which would they could then give the landlord a hard time ... well, here's hoping.
Pope's hope springs eternal 😀 like the triumph of optimism over experience.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
View attachment 826675

Well, nothing useful to see here. Excuse the photo quality.

I appreciate there's a lesson learned, for any car park where chargers exist. The hotel are happy to waive the notice for you if you call them. It's just a waste of everybody's time!

I just hope this message helps someone. :)
Hi , Still going on with little warning , on the hotel web site every other post is regarding this issue , my wife just got a pcn yesterday for the same place ... if only we had looked on here - will certainly be more vigilant in future , surely not beyond tesla to warn you on the station details ?

Charged at Tongham - actually it was my brother-in-law who charged my car - didn't understand the tiny wee notice stuck to the charging cable so a couple of weeks later i received a PCN. I appealed and was turned down! Having then researched on this Forum I e-mailed the Hotel and they had the Notice cancelled! They seemed happy to do so! Just make sure you don't pay the fine because once you have you won't get your money back.
wish i had read this 2 days ago , weve just paid :mad:

I honestly don’t know how so many people get caught out by these. It’s not like parking restrictions are uncommon in the U.K. if anything it’s a surprise to find a parking space that isn’t on my drive that doesn’t have restrictions.

You’ll never get caught out if you simply check for restrictions when using one someone’s land that isn’t yours. It’s really not difficult.

Putting 1 star reviews everywhere is not helpful to anyone either. It’s the quickest way for the super charger to be booted out of said car park and then no one benefits.

Reactions: Cardo
It’s the quickest way for the super charger to be booted out of said car park and then no one benefits.
Or, the land owners value the ££s paid by Tesla.
Tesla may not realise that their customers, in addition to paying for their "fuel" are being charged for standing on the space leased by Tesla to facilitate that "refuelling.

Even my local BP allows an hour free parking.

However ubiquitous parking restriction may, as you suggest be, in the brave new world of the EV, the definition of parking needs to be redefined and a distinction made between charging and parking.

As long as we are prepared to take it where the sun don't shine, these heartless " no grounds for appeal" shysters will get away with it.

I, for one, will be contacting the relevant managers at Tesla UK and maybe Elon.
I would urge the membership to make likewise representations and maybe we can achieve some resolution to this nonsensical situation.

Or, the land owners value the ££s paid by Tesla.
Tesla may not realise that their customers, in addition to paying for their "fuel" are being charged for standing on the space leased by Tesla to facilitate that "refuelling.

Even my local BP allows an hour free parking.

However ubiquitous parking restriction may, as you suggest be, in the brave new world of the EV, the definition of parking needs to be redefined and a distinction made between charging and parking.

As long as we are prepared to take it where the sun don't shine, these heartless " no grounds for appeal" shysters will get away with it.

I, for one, will be contacting the relevant managers at Tesla UK and maybe Elon.
I would urge the membership to make likewise representations and maybe we can achieve some resolution to this nonsensical situation.
These places don’t charge you to charge, though. You just need to pop into the reception and enter your reg into the computer. Alas, people frequently fail to read the numerous signs (at the entrance, by the chargers, on the screen and now usually on the cables) and end up getting a ticket. For a country where people should know they have to double and triple check what the parking arrangements are whenever they stop, I’m amazed by how many come onto this forum to have a moan.

Reactions: Andywil
These places don’t charge you to charge, though. You just need to pop into the reception and enter your reg into the computer. Alas, people frequently fail to read the numerous signs (at the entrance, by the chargers, on the screen and now usually on the cables) and end up getting a ticket. For a country where people should know they have to double and triple check what the parking arrangements are whenever they stop, I’m amazed by how many come onto this forum to have a moan.
One of the things I don’t miss over there is the constant ‘stick stick stick’ and no ‘carrot’ attitude

Things like this just reinforce the ‘everyone is out to get the motorist’ narrative - over here, things are more mature and relaxed. It wouldn’t cross my mind to have to register to charge my vehicle, much in the same way as I wouldn’t have told the garage I was pumping gas

ANPR in these situations is a brickbat solution. If there is a problem with parking, what’s wrong with sending someone out to check number plates? Or use the ANPR system properly - if the plate is read entering and exiting and the duration is under say 60 minutes, it’s more than likely because you’re charging you car