Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: vibration felt when slightly accelerating refresh Mode S Plaid or LR

Are you experiencing this issue with your Plaid or LR refresh?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not *that* different than how high power ICE cars act on a cold start with the secondary air injection, fuel enrichment etc... I could live with it if that's just what it means to have 1k hp, carbon sleeved rotors, etc. but I wish Tesla would just straight up say whether or not it's a means of heating up the motors faster or something. Especially since the 2021 cars apparently don't do it.
Yeah, we are spoiled as hell with this car. I used to drive around with a fire extinguisher on standby as an oil leak can burn down a turbo car real quick.

Wait, your brand new is vibrating on acceleration? Not just the cold start grind vibration that occurs for the first minute or so?

Am I lucky that I haven't had a hint of anything like this in my 2 month old MSP?
You just might not notice it, or it hasn't started yet. My 2021 Plaid took 1400 miles before it started the vibration. I doubt any new S Plaid is immune. My new 2022 Plaid vibrated right out of the Tesla lot.

When would you notice the start up vibrations?

First drive after sitting for more than a day. Doesn't matter when that is morning, afternoon, or evening. Lasts about a minute. You can feel it in the accelerator pedal (some say brake pedal too). Not felt in the steering wheel at all. When it stops, it's an abrupt stop like something turned off.

First drive after sitting for more than a day. Doesn't matter when that is morning, afternoon, or evening. Lasts about a minute. You can feel it in the accelerator pedal (some say brake pedal too). Not felt in the steering wheel at all. When it stops, it's an abrupt stop like something turned off.
Yep. This. It's an on/off switch for when it turns off. Drives me a bit crazy that nobody knows what causes it, and I refuse to hazard a guess, as it'll be nonsense until we know for sure. The actual vibration doesn't bother me as it goes away quickly, but I would love to know why. The 35-50mph vibration is much more of a nuisance, though it has been minimized to some degree with the 2023.44 update, but I doubt Tesla can eliminate it entirely since they can't afford to make this car RWD fully (which is when it's completely gone).

Well then... just hang on. It'll show up sooner or later. 😅

2K miles so far. Perhaps it's because I've never accelerated more than lightly on anything higher than the lowest suspension setting. In fact, I won't accelerate more than moderately without having suspension setting visible just to make sure. Today, while driving around Santa Cruz for hours, I must have entered the screen 70+ times.

Hmm. Confirmed. '21 Plaid and I've never noticed that.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
You just might not notice it, or it hasn't started yet. My 2021 Plaid took 1400 miles before it started the vibration. I doubt any new S Plaid is immune. My new 2022 Plaid vibrated right out of the Tesla lot.

2023 Plaid with 16000km here (~10k mi). No vibration on acceleration, but it does have the "one minute shake when cold"..

What's more, this is an ex demo car, so I wouldn't surprised if it has hundreds of launches already with this mileage.. :)

Yep. This. It's an on/off switch for when it turns off. Drives me a bit crazy that nobody knows what causes it, and I refuse to hazard a guess, as it'll be nonsense until we know for sure. The actual vibration doesn't bother me as it goes away quickly, but I would love to know why. The 35-50mph vibration is much more of a nuisance, though it has been minimized to some degree with the 2023.44 update, but I doubt Tesla can eliminate it entirely since they can't afford to make this car RWD fully (which is when it's completely gone).
I am quite confident it's a cold start warmup routine ("Waste Heat Mode" from excerpt below). It certainly seems to be more intense and last longer when it is very cold out. But I don't know why there wasn't a perceptible vibration on the 2021 models. Spending way more time in toolbox than I should be, and I see no obvious software switches for such a thing. The only documented hardware change is a change in the oil type... but who knows if there's some undocumented change

1714735878462.png

Wait, your brand new is vibrating on acceleration? Not just the cold start grind vibration that occurs for the first minute or so?

Am I lucky that I haven't had a hint of anything like this in my 2 month old MSP?
Yeah. It's started to vibrate. It's during the entire drive, not just the start. Only under light acceleration, on smooth roads. I'm kicking myself that I just sold my lowering links.

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
I’m just now at Tesla service for unrelated issue and was test driving my 2023 MXP after sitting overnight on their lot in 50s temperatures. The cold vibration which it had from being newly delivered was right away apparent and the tech sitting in passenger seat noted it too but could not explain it. After 3-4 min of driving it went away as usual. But then he told me he thought I had some shaking as if my wheel is bent and now I need to of course check balance again after doing this 3 weeks ago. Why can’t the cars just be smooth and issue free when you drive them casually

I’m just now at Tesla service for unrelated issue and was test driving my 2023 MXP after sitting overnight on their lot in 50s temperatures. The cold vibration which it had from being newly delivered was right away apparent and the tech sitting in passenger seat noted it too but could not explain it. After 3-4 min of driving it went away as usual. But then he told me he thought I had some shaking as if my wheel is bent and now I need to of course check balance again after doing this 3 weeks ago. Why can’t the cars just be smooth and issue free when you drive them casually
Poor design.

The 3/Y don't do this.

Reactions: Propofoln