Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Confusion, what battery will I get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why? It’s the cheap and inferior battery.
NCA is loads better.
(Currently own Model Y’s with both)
Inferior? Doesn't it have double the charge discharge cycle life span?

Also despite the 30% reduction in energy density I thought that's why they build it structurally to reduce weight else where.

Also how do we know they aren't eligible for Federal Tax Credit? Because they are Chinese batteries?

I have to say this is all what makes buying a Tesla stressful...

The sales reps who you would think should be most knowledgeable seem to be the most confused and left in the dark. Which is odd because they work for Tesla.

It's like I have to really dig deep and learn all the details to challenge them and gauge what is going on.

If you’re in the US, they are wrong.
If you are somewhere close to anywhere they’re probably wrong about batteries :rolleyes:

In general the sales persons have about 5% of the knowledge of these forums, unfortunately.
They often doesn’t know, and when they *know* its wrong.

I had my S on the Servicecenter for some issues, and had a coffee in the showroom.
Overheard a discussion about the terrain mode in Y (Off Road or something), which I know NIL about, not owning an Y.
Next day there was a discussion in a Swedish forum about that terrain mode/Off road so I wrote what the seller said.
Soon, I was shot at in the thread as I was clearly wrong. Doublechecked in the manual and it was very clear that what the seller told was not at all correct.
Usually I do not state things like that without knowledge but it sounded safe to use the sellers information…:oops:

I have a 2022 M3 with LFP and 2020 MY with NCA. They are both great.
LFP: ~5% loss in 2 years, 27k miles
NCA: ~9% loss in 4 years, 68k miles

I do like being to regularly charge my LFP to 100% and still having regen.

I didn't bother paying for teslafi on my M3, but the data on my MY is interesting.
Screenshot_20240519_085020_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Nonlin
Also how do we know they aren't eligible for Federal Tax Credit? Because they are Chinese batteries?
Yes. The critical minerals sourcing requirements for 2024 and beyond make them ineligible.

That’s not a thing with LFP, full is still full and regen will be limited just like any other battery.

MY-Y said:
That’s not a thing with LFP, full is still full and regen will be limited just like any other battery.
+1. Though all Teslas now (software) mimic regen when the battery is too full, so you have one pedal driving whether regen is active or not. Evidently there was a short period a few years ago where at 100% charge, the car would not brake if one pedal driving (HOLD) was selected - yikes!

Reactions: ucmndd
Inferior? Doesn't it have double the charge discharge cycle life span?

Also despite the 30% reduction in energy density I thought that's why they build it structurally to reduce weight else where.
Apparently they do but it’s just not that relevant for regular use of a private vehicle - superior resistance to cyclic aging for taxis, ride share and other high mileage use cases, but for regular use, you won’t do enough cycles to notice a difference and LFP has many more downsides than NCA. I’ve listed them here as I own both:

LFP v’s NCA… and the winner is…

LFP isn’t a structural pack as far as I’m aware. The RWD cars are nearly as heavy as the dual motor cars that have bigger batteries.