Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Litmus test:

If you can look at video from Chuck’s cameras and determine the right time to go purely from that video, the cameras are sufficient and so can AI. By looking at the output of the cameras you remove the advantage eyes have over the camera.

Since we can all do this, the limitation has never been visual acuity of the cameras. It’s been the quality of the control code/neural nets on the planning side.

It’s possible for conditions to exist which make this turn slightly difficult but we have rarely seen Chuck test those. Apples apples.
Simple turns are not having to cross traffic, especially high speed traffic going in both directions. Chuck's turn is not simple but any measure.

Chuck's ULT is easily fixable:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240517-085135.png
    Screenshot_20240517-085135.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Visual acuity is definitely better than Tesla camera. Or for that matter any camera.

If you're speaking in terms of pure ability to resolve specific objects (as opposed to a big landscape scene), this is not accurate. Foveal receptor density is not that dissimilar to the pixel density of the IMX480 sensor that is on the HW4 cars. So the ability to achieve some sort of similar arc-minute acuity is theoretically possible, although the ability to move the eye in a dynamic scene obviously confers a considerable advantage beyond pure acuity.

I find most of my disengagements these days are navigation problems. This is just one of the problems in my neighborhood, navigation has you doing a u-turn as apposed ro a protected left turn.

Nav shows this kind of thing for a few intersections near me as well, but 12.3.x has generally ignored the nav and done it the correct way anyways. For most of my cases, the Nav's silly U-turn isn't very far ahead, usually <= 1/4 mile. Perhaps the distance to the U-turn makes a difference in whether FSD can figure out the shortcut.

Related to that point: While in the last stretch of driving home, the main road of my neighborhood runs fairly close behind my house (behind my back fence, across a thin treeline). I pass the rear of my house shortly before I make two quick right turns and drive back the other way to my actual driveway (past another 10 houses or so on the way). FSD has had some variable behavior during this final stretch: sometimes it acts normally and waits to put on the blinker for the first right turn about when a human would (well past the back of my house, close to the turn itself). But sometimes, it edges a little closer to the right-hand curb and puts on the blinker much earlier and slows a bit, just as I'm nearing the back of my house on the main road. It seems like it's basically hunting for an impossible shortcut because my house (the wrong side of it) looks so close in terms of absolute distance.

It's much easier for a human, as we have a visual range of about 3 miles. If the Telsa had cameras with a 2500 feet distance, it would likely perform much better.

Humans have a "visual range" of 16,000 light years. My Tesla sees the sun which is 93 million miles away.

Doesn't help with UPLs.

That wasn't the question though. Do you consider Chuck's UPL a simple turn?
With turns like that, if there's significant traffic, I turn right and do a U-turn.

Chuck Cook's turn problem is the median is too short. The road builders have the land enough for at least 2 cars to wait before changing to the right lane. I wonder why they didn't use it.
It is technically a left turn lane from the highway and NOT a merge into trafic lane. In GA it is illegal (and I bet FL too) to pull into a left turn lane unless you are turning left off the road it is on. In fact there is a YouTuber named Jeebs who's girlfriend or wife pulled into one and got a ticket in Nevada I think.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I find most of my disengagements these days are navigation problems. This is just one of the problems in my neighborhood, navigation has you doing a u-turn as apposed ro a protected left turn.
View attachment 1048041
Absolutely, I see a lot of silly stuff like this too.

Tesla needs to open up a way to crowdsource corrections for these routing issues, and be responsive to fixing them. I'm sure it's on their roadmap, but maybe not their priority until we get a little closer to robotaxi-ready.

Absolutely, I see a lot of silly stuff like this too.

Tesla needs to open up a way to crowdsource corrections for these routing issues, and be responsive to fixing them. I'm sure it's on their roadmap, but maybe not their priority until we get a little closer to robotaxi-ready.
Tesla likely uses Mapbox's Navigation engine. It may be customized in some way but routes would be Mapbox's fault/credit.

I had an issue today, truck pulling a boat on a trailer didn’t have any brake lights on his boat trailer

He slowed down pretty fast and my car was coming up on him pretty fast as well, seemed like my car was only judging the distance from his vehicle and not his boat trailer

My car may have slammed brakes once it got close to him but it felt like I was going run right into the back of the trailer, I didn’t feel like it was slowing fast enough so I disengaged
I've had similar disengagements in the past along this same line as well. I've had many rigs gear brake on the highway to slow down - especially in heavy/slow traffic - FSD has always had challenges when it doesn't see brake lights - which is not uncommon with rigs or manual transmission cars that sometime use gear braking. It eventually picks up the fact that the lead vehicle is slowing down - but it results in FSD braking late and unnecessarily heavy - which escalates the risk of getting rear ended IME.

Yes - 3 miles away a car is a dot or a speck of dust moving.

Anyway, the point is - our eyes didn't evolve to combat UPL. So, what our eyes can do is not what we need for UPL.
the problem with UPL is to constantly extrapolate the vehicles location that are moving in from the left side, as well as from the right side and find a safe enough time gap to be able to move your vehicle across both sides of the road. Now if any vehicle speeds up while you are performing the extrapolation, you are in trouble.

Last edited:
I just started my FSD(S) trial.

Is there an accepted way to terminate a drive without it showing as a disengagement?

I drove to the store and it took me to the front door, correctly. However when I attempted to take over in order to park, it asked about my disengagement, which seemed wrong. How should I take over in that case?