Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Entire Supercharging Team Fired?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
News yesterday is that the entire 500+ person word-wide SC team has been let go. That is alarming. Why would Elon sack the execs and all the employees of this important part of Tesla's business? Could Tesla be selling the SC network off to a third party? Opinions? Other theories?

29226473368_d3a9e965d2_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My take is since NACS is adopted, Elon probably counting on others to expand it further...
Only 38% of Supercharger sites and 47% of stalls are in North America. The supercharger team was responsible for charging around the world.

That's a good point, i wasn't sure if the team covered US or the world...
It absolutely does, just a few posts up is an article about people in AUS being told to stop working on a supercharger.

An interesting point as well is that about 1/3 of all superchargers are in China. So in one of the few cases where an American business actually has a stronghold in China, we're giving up on it.

It absolutely does, just a few posts up is an article about people in AUS being told to stop working on a supercharger.

An interesting point as well is that about 1/3 of all superchargers are in China. So in one of the few cases where an American business actually has a stronghold in China, we're giving up on it.
Tesla actually is relatively weak in China, it only makes up 11000/963,000 DC stalls or about 1.1% of the DC market whereas in the US it makes up a whopping 62% of the DC fast charging market with 24000 stalls.

According to data from the China Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure Promotion Alliance (EVCIPA), as of the end of August 2023, there were a total of 7,208,000 charging infrastructure units (public and private) nationwide, of which 2,272,000 were public charging stands (963,000 DC charging stands and 1,307,000 AC).

Tesla only has 11000 stalls in China:
Tesla opens more chargers to other brands of EVs in China

US EV Market Passed the 1 Million Sales Mark in 2023

• Informative
Reactions: primedive
How many MuskHuffers are still willing to defend the company’s actions as calculated and rational after today and the leaked supplier email?

This is the result of an egomaniacal billionaire amped up on ketamine receiving pushback from a woman and showing the world who’s boss to preserve his ever more fragile ego.

For bonus points, she may have also refused his offer to breed her.

If China has such a strong public DCFC situation, why did Tesla even bother to build out anything there? Seems like wasted effort.
I think they realized it later on and they slowed down the installs in China drastically (the article I linked from late last year even noted Tesla just repeated previously mentioned figures, indicating little to no growth).

All of this was clearly well planned as part of a strategy by Tesla after a hard decision by Elon. Because you send this kind of thing out days afterwards when it's all well planned:

The Electrek article mentions the same theory I said was most plausible (that this was a power struggle with Tinucci and making an example of her):
"We have heard from several sources who told us that the reason for these firings is because Rebecca Tinucci, former head of Tesla’s EV Charging division, resisted Musk’s demand to fire large portions of her team."

The Electrek article mentions the same theory I said was most plausible (that this was a power struggle with Tinucci and making an example of her):
"We have heard from several sources who told us that the reason for these firings is because Rebecca Tinucci, former head of Tesla’s EV Charging division, resisted Musk’s demand to fire large portions of her team."
subtext?

Kidding. It's funny because it's sadly plausible.

So nobody else can build and maintain DCFC stations?
I think that's a point people are missing. GM is building out the Ultium network and Mercedes is building their network. As NEVI funds start rolling through the system (it's been a long process), more and more non Tesla chargers will be coming online. And yes, Teslas can use these with a CCS adapter. Kinda ironic, right?

• Funny
Reactions: KJD
I think that's a point people are missing. GM is building out the Ultium network and Mercedes is building their network. As NEVI funds start rolling through the system (it's been a long process), more and more non Tesla chargers will be coming online. And yes, Teslas can use these with a CCS adapter. Kinda ironic, right?
Sorry to repeat myself, but this is throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Suppose Tesla had a massive but not total layoff and said:

“Thanks to NEVI, fewer Tesla Superchargers will be needed in North America. We thank the Supercharger team led by Rebecca Tinucci who helped Tesla reach this milestone. Going forward, Tesla drivers may see fewer Tesla Superchargers by percentage but more fast charging stations across North America. And with a software update later this year, your Tesla will be able to navigate and charge seamlessly with any compatible charger.”

Then we’d all be praising Musk for his wise decision. Instead, we’re worried for the future of our expensive cars and questioning our decision to buy into the Tesla ecosystem.

Armchair quarterbacks. While Elon certainly appears to act out publicly, none of us know the details or the inside story. It's easy to tell yourselves you know better, when you really couldn't. We will see how this plays out. Elon's achievements are many, whether his apparent faults hurt his businesses in the long run remains to be seen.

I will say the Superchargers I have used have all been underutilized. While I know there are waiting lines at a few, I've never been to one where even half the slots were in use, and sometimes only a couple. Many of them should be at higher utilization - business 101.

Last edited: