Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Tesla's value just dropped about 4-5k overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Google the history of tesla pricing yourself.

Typically Tesla has raised the price of their cars when adding features, which has percolated into the general history of CPO pricing, but that hasn't happened with the MCU, which was a free upgrade. That makes it harder to justify a price increase for the new MCU in the aftermarket.

The best comparison point might be to study what happened to used P vehicles after Tesla merged the Premium Package into the P-series, adding features while reducing the price--but one would need to adjust for price, and, let's face it, nobody bought the performance versions without the premium package before the switch.

EV-CPO doesn't seem to offer price trends. Or at least, I can't find it. That's one busy looking website.

Reactions: Got-EMF
Let’s be real, everyones car that got delivered in the past 30 days without the new mcu got shafted. Just like the thousand others who got shafted before them months ago.

I super wish Tesla would just stop with all the improving of things so that we can dispense with this needless continued “shafting” of literally the most satisfied owners of any car brand on earth.

WHY DOES TESLA HATE THEIR OWNERS SO MUCH

But no one prefers a slower MCU.
Unless of course it take a year or longer for the new MCU to catchup to the old one in terms of features and/or reliability (failure rate, not cheap to replace the MCU). AP2 is more powerful, but year and half later and still not on par. Model 3 MCU still can't turn on heated seats.

Last edited:
Given that it took new hardware, we can likely count this as another unfulfilled "promise":
Don't worry. Only people people who own one think like this. To the rest of the world, including a bunch of posters here this will count as "see, he delivered on his promise of faster browser". Not the first time, not the last time that Elon delivers, but only to new customers. I have a bad feeling FSD will be delivered exactly the same way.

I super wish Tesla would just stop with all the improving of things so that we can dispense with this needless continued “shafting” of literally the most satisfied owners of any car brand on earth.

WHY DOES TESLA HATE THEIR OWNERS SO MUCH

Ironically, it's because Tesla hasn't been improving things that the situation is so bad.

If they had improved the MCU by just 10% every year, the changes would have been so subtle year-over-year that nobody would be clamoring for an upgrade, and resale value would not have dropped so sharply.

But because they sat on their hands for years, improving nothing about the MCU and screen, the gap is huge once they finally got off their duff.

Imagine if Tesla, all of a sudden, jumped from a 40 kWh battery to 150 kWh. Existing owners would get pennies on the dollar for their cars. Try selling your Tesla when your financing is underwater. This situation is not that extreme, but it's similar in character.

• Love
Reactions: viper2ko
Lol, i doubt even half the potential buyers would know the MCU was updated once I sell. As long as there isn’t a refresh of interior or exterior design most people will not know about it.

And even if you are right this is a car that drops like 40-50k over 3 years so it was bound to happen at some point. I would be more worried about ehat the Audis will do to resale value in a few years.

The way it looks after the software update is plenty fast for me either way so I will not cry because the newest cars are even faster, and I take delivery in 2-3 weeks with the old MCU.

By the way, the salt on this forum after the MCU refresh is hilarious, it really is the storm in a water glass that the internet is known for.

Last edited:
Would you notice if your smartphone were replaced by a five year old model? Hard for me to go back to that kind of techno-funk smell :)

Ofc, since you are using a phone for hours per day. Do you sit and continuously press your car screen hours per day? Even though the Tesla’s have a nice infotainment system I do not think it would be fun enough to entertain me for hours per day. The old MCU with the new software looks really good and will get better with vector maps, there being an even faster one will not take from that. If some refrsh brings something I can’t live without I would just have to switch to a new one in a year.

I would say i use the UI of my TV more than any car infotainment and that one is laggy even though it is a brand new TV, does not make me mad if this years version doesn’t have lag.

As for the average buyer they will not have a clue about it either way, people really aren’t very informed about stuff.

This post has been written on my iPad mini 4 which has a 3 year old processor and no lag, it is amazing what you can do with optimization.

Last edited:
Would you notice if your smartphone were replaced by a five year old model? Hard for me to go back to that kind of techno-funk smell :)
I don't spend anywhere near the amount time on the MCU as I do using my smartphone. The slow interface is annoying, but not enough for me to pay even $500 to upgrade. I might pay $100 for some physical buttons to mount next to the screen somewhere that I could define to do things like turn on headlights.

Ironically, it's because Tesla hasn't been improving things that the situation is so bad.

If they had improved the MCU by just 10% every year, the changes would have been so subtle year-over-year that nobody would be clamoring for an upgrade, and resale value would not have dropped so sharply.

But because they sat on their hands for years, improving nothing about the MCU and screen, the gap is huge once they finally got off their duff.

Imagine if Tesla, all of a sudden, jumped from a 40 kWh battery to 150 kWh. Existing owners would get pennies on the dollar for their cars. Try selling your Tesla when your financing is underwater. This situation is not that extreme, but it's similar in character.

As posters have said, some have little use for significantly faster MCU response. I don't know what it costs to have a custom designed MCU, but I would expect that the contract specified a cost for a given number of units, or for a given amount of time. Just because AMD, Intel, or whomever updates chips regularly to one up the competition doesn't mean that Tesla's MCU will automatically or could receive these improvements without additional redesign and/or cost and/or contract renegotiation. Are we going to benefit because the MCU computes our watts per mile faster?

Teslas are not an investment. You lose 5 - 10 thousand once it's registered and probably another thousand or so a month after that.

High property values are great for people selling, not so great for buying or paying taxes.

You neglect to contemplate that the price for the superior car would simply be higher -- since it has more value.

But there is a relative ranking concept.

Best illustrated in this video

objective utility of a car in isolation, but everything to do with the relative ranking of two cars when compared side by side, forcing the price lower from the top of the market down. Any car which has moved down in rank has lost $3K in resale value; poof.

Speaking of which, I just had my MCU replaced. I had to go run whatsmyua to see if it reported the new hardware...which it didn't, but the reason I was wondering is because the replacement is considerably faster than the previous one.

Did Tesla make any changes at all to the 2011 chipset? Did they up the clock speed or any other changes?

Speaking of which, I just had my MCU replaced. I had to go run whatsmyua to see if it reported the new hardware...which it didn't, but the reason I was wondering is because the replacement is considerably faster than the previous one.

Did Tesla make any changes at all to the 2011 chipset? Did they up the clock speed or any other changes?

Well there is some debate over which chip is actually in the cars, most ppl seem to acknowledge at least one switch to faster hardware before. Also the new update 2018.10.4 is apparently making it much smoother, if it is due to upping clock speeds and optimization or just optimization I don’t know.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18