Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your first gratuitous Model S Drive...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At 312 miles, it may be a little long even for the 85kWh pack (though average speed will probably be about 50 mph, so there's some hope.) Fortunately, the New Hampshire utility has EV charging at its Manchester NH location, where I can add a few "insurance" miles on my way home.

As a Roadster owner, let me insert some realism here. The Roadster is specced at 245 miles. That's the Ideal Range if you do a Range Charge on a new battery. The practical Actual Range is more like 180 miles - meaning accounting for speeds below 25 or above 50, plus stops/slow downs/hills. That's 74% of the claimed. I'll grant that 200 miles is do-able if you can keep your speeds down, but that's hard to do on the freeway, and there are other power drains if you're not on the freeway.

If you do a Standard Charge, the Ideal Range is typically under 190. I don't know off-hand what a practical Actual Range is because I haven't kept track, but I'd guess 145 miles is the comfortable upper end.

My calcs say the 85kWh battery will have a Standard Charge Ideal Range of 230 miles. The Standard Charge Actual Range will be more like 175 miles.

So, unless you're willing to make your first real drive start with a Range Charge, I'd suggest keeping your round trip to under 175 miles. And that's if you've got the big battery. And that's if you can resist testing out the 0-60 performance after every stop. If you're willing to do a Range Charge, then you might be able to do 230 miles.

As for charging en-route, what's the amperage there? A typical (eg, Leaf J1772) 32amp charging station will only put about 25 miles into your batteries every hour.

Last edited:
First road trip planned in your new Tesla?

This is something I haven't yet been able to organize with my Leaf, but has anyone planned a memorable road trip to break in their new Tesla? Maybe some scenic routes rife with local flavor, a nice ride to someplace with good hiking, surf or cycling, etc.?

Texas is working on something called the "Texas Triangle", which in theory would electrify the freeways between Houston, San Antonio, Austin and Dallas for EV travel. The nice thing about the Tesla is that this is not necessarily essential in order to make the trip. When I get mine, I plan on driving to Austin for some good cycling and maybe a visit to the 512 brewery.

Threads Merged

As Model S deliveries become slightly more imminent, there's a an opportunity for buyers to consider their first drive.

P.S. *caffeinekid* Welcome to TMC ! Feel free to look around and participate in discussions. There is also a local sub-forum for events and items specific to TX here: Mountain-Southwest

Last edited:
I'll try and pick up my Model S close to the week-end and drive south from Sydney through the Royal National Park, along Sir Lawrence Hargrave Drive and across the new Sea Cliff Bridge. It was featured in that SHELL F1 Commercial at 43 to 51 seconds.
sea_cliff_bridge.jpg

Then follow the coast road south through Wollongong and turn inland at Albion Park to follow the Illawarra Highway up the escarpment, about a dozen switchbacks, through Robertson, Moss Vale and finishing at my house in Bundanoon where I stll need to get a 32 Amp plug installed.
Hmmm where is that number for my electrician?

Last edited:
Hi Eberhard,
When I built the house I specially put in 3 phase for an EV so it should not be a problem.
However in Talking to the local Tesla sales manager he has only confirmed single phase charging.
For the Roadster here they are using a 3 phase 32 amp plug but only wired for a single phase.
I'll probably wire it single phase and upgrade later as the garage is not far from the breaker box so I don't think it will be much to upgrade later if needed.
Of course the electrician's quote may change my mind.

Hi meloccom,

tesla announced Model S with 3-phase charger for Europe. Hope they give more details soon. Maybe 3-phase will be available in Australia too. Meanwhile I have to charge my Roadster mono-phase at 32A as you do.