Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud pop/noise when starting to drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 22 Model S Plaid and sometimes when I go to drive first thing in the am, a super loud pop (like a rock hitting your windshield) occurs when I press on the accelerator (almost like the parking brake is breaking free or getting stuck). Of course Tesla is saying that's normal but I'm sure it can't be. Anyone else or any ideas? You can see video below too for reference. Thanks

Thanks guys.....I think it's crazy you spend that much money on a car that does that and makes everyone in the parking lot think your car just broke in half just because it's cold and was wet but it is what it is I guess. I appreciate you letting me know.

This issue of brake pads freezing to rotors in not unique to Tesla. My Honda Odyssey would also do it if I parked the car after it rained and rotors were wet, then let it sit overnight. It may be a little more likely to happen in an EV due to how having regenerative braking and very little use of the friction brakes. You can help reduce the likelihood of occurrence if you do a couple hard stops right before you park it when it's wet. Those hard stops using the friction brakes will help heat up the rotors, tending to evaporate off the water, and reducing the risks of pads seizing to the rotors.

Reactions: byeLT4 and ucmndd
This issue of brake pads freezing to rotors in not unique to Tesla. My Honda Odyssey would also do it if I parked the car after it rained and rotors were wet, then let it sit overnight. It may be a little more likely to happen in an EV due to how having regenerative braking and very little use of the friction brakes. You can help reduce the likelihood of occurrence if you do a couple hard stops right before you park it when it's wet. Those hard stops using the friction brakes will help heat up the rotors, tending to evaporate off the water, and reducing the risks of pads seizing to the rotors.
Thank you for that advice! I will try that. =)

Reactions: morepower