Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Youngest Model S Owner/First Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing to consider is will you have the income to support paying for insurance and maintenance down the road? Will you be able to buy another Tesla or a better car in 10 years when this car is done? People usually don't downgrade from a certain level of luxury on things like houses or cars unless they have no options.

Congratulations, and good on you for being more future-focused than likely many of your peers. My son, at 31, has had a Tesla plan since 2008 when he started yakking my ear off. But that plan is waiting for Model .

70D great choice, although all your friends will seriously rib you for not getting Ludicrous. It's something to do with the age, I think. :) You'd better use the pre-delivery time to think up some really scathing comebacks!

21"? Don't really see what benefit you get (better traction, better looks) for the downside (easier curb rash, higher wear (more frequent replacement), higher road noise). I'd stick with 19's, but then, that's just me, I'm sure others find the 21's indispensable.

I find the air suspension great for getting into steep driveways and ferry-boarding.

The pano roof is just great. Closed, it cuts out nearly all the heat and the sunlight glare. Open, it's... open! Not quite convertible, but very very nice on good weather days.

One caution about insurance: you mentioned up-thread that you'd be "occasional" with your parents as "primary". But, if you're the one who really is primary, listing it the other way to save some annual $$$ could very quickly void the insurance. And that's something you definitely don't want.

And, I'll echo all the others here, no matter how much you can trust your friends, you cannot trust them to treat your 70D properly and safely. Stick to giving rides only.

Model S at age 18....... very nice, you'll have a lot more attention than I got with my car.....

I had a 1980 Mustang with a 2.3l engine. Drive, Fix, Drive, Fix, Drive, Fix, Fix, Fix, Drive, crash, walk.

I had a 12 year old 250cc 2-cycle Yamaha DT Enduro.... and a bunch of education ahead of me to pay for. The bike was good for 0-60... eventually... as long as there was no upward grade... On a positive note I learned a lot about how to fix machinery.

Fried is 16, has P85D that is getting traded to a P90D. Got it for birthday present

Well that falls in the "wealthy parents do everything for their kids" category. Always works with them :)

- - - Updated - - -

But yes I do have to really control myself. I mean the 70D is right on the limit of the power that I am legally allowed to drive but yet it accelerates faster than the comparative cars.

Wait, there is a legally enforced limit to what kind of car (power-wise) you are allowed to buy/register at a certain age in Australia? Now that is an interesting concept.
Over here, if you have the funds, there is no limit to what even an 18-year old could register as his/her vehicle, from a VW up! to a Koenigsegg Regera ;-)

Well that falls in the "wealthy parents do everything for their kids" category. Always works with them :)

- - - Updated - - -

Wait, there is a legally enforced limit to what kind of car (power-wise) you are allowed to buy/register at a certain age in Australia? Now that is an interesting concept.
Over here, if you have the funds, there is no limit to what even an 18-year old could register as his/her vehicle, from a VW up! to a Koenigsegg Regera ;-)

Not what you can buy or register but what you can drive. So if I'm driving a P85D without an exemption, I would be pulled over and fined and demerited. To apply for an exemption, you have to submit all this paperwork proving how hard your life is going to be if you can't drive this particular vehicle. An exemption is specific to a vehicle. The police can check up on your vehicle when they see you driving down the road with Provisional "P" plates on and find out whether or not it is a "high powered vehicle".

Not what you can buy or register but what you can drive. So if I'm driving a P85D without an exemption, I would be pulled over and fined and demerited. To apply for an exemption, you have to submit all this paperwork proving how hard your life is going to be if you can't drive this particular vehicle. An exemption is specific to a vehicle. The police can check up on your vehicle when they see you driving down the road with Provisional "P" plates on and find out whether or not it is a "high powered vehicle".

Fascinating. Thanks for the info, I had never heard of such a scheme before. Sounds like a very good idea actually.

I'm 34. Growing up in Rural MA I was on my computer more then anything as a kid so I didn't get my license until I was 18 even though I believe the age was 16 then. I just didn't need it. I got my first car while in college (any UMass alum here?) and it was the biggest lemon there was. In 2002ish I got a used Dodge Neon from a used car lot near by that said it only had 17,000 miles on it. Found out real quick why that was the case. Half the time it didn't count miles.... Anyway was problem after problem with the car and was in the shop more then out, but fortunately they did fix pretty much everything for free. One thing they couldn't fix though was the paint. Was an issue with all Neon's of that year where it pealed off like crazy and by the time a couple years later when I got rid of it, most of the paint was gone lol.

I drove that car until May of 2005. At this point I was out of college and got a pretty sweet job and was able to afford a new car. Got a 2005 Prius, the car I drive to this day.. until my 90D is built and delivered :) Prius has been a good ride. Got it back when it was still a rare care. No one had hybrids. Looking forward to now getting rid of gas altogether!

I'm 34. Growing up in Rural MA I was on my computer more then anything as a kid so I didn't get my license until I was 18 even though I believe the age was 16 then. I just didn't need it. I got my first car while in college (any UMass alum here?) and it was the biggest lemon there was. In 2002ish I got a used Dodge Neon from a used car lot near by that said it only had 17,000 miles on it. Found out real quick why that was the case. Half the time it didn't count miles.... Anyway was problem after problem with the car and was in the shop more then out, but fortunately they did fix pretty much everything for free. One thing they couldn't fix though was the paint. Was an issue with all Neon's of that year where it pealed off like crazy and by the time a couple years later when I got rid of it, most of the paint was gone lol.

I drove that car until May of 2005. At this point I was out of college and got a pretty sweet job and was able to afford a new car. Got a 2005 Prius, the car I drive to this day.. until my 90D is built and delivered :) Prius has been a good ride. Got it back when it was still a rare care. No one had hybrids. Looking forward to now getting rid of gas altogether!

How was the Prius? I honestly don't understand hybrids. I mean they still use gas. Taking a complex ICE engine and combining it with a complex electric motor. But people say that they are really good?

How was the Prius? I honestly don't understand hybrids. I mean they still use gas. Taking a complex ICE engine and combining it with a complex electric motor. But people say that they are really good?

I've honestly been very happy with it. It's age is starting to show in its tech now so that's why I'm upgrading, but it still runs like a champ. It gets, depending on the weather 38-52 mpg.. probably averaging around 46-48 so gas savings over the Neon were great. I've done most of the recommended 5000 maintenance and at 125k miles now nothing has really broke that wasn't damaged somehow (i.e. just replaced the air conditioning condenser because a rock hit it, have had flat tires, etc). I'm actually still planning on keeping the Prius as a backup for now just in case.

With all that said, still very much so looking forward to the Tesla when it arrives :)