Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also wonder how common it is. I have a 2017 S. Had my yellow screen replaced 8 months ago. And it has returned again
How common? Every car built after approx 2016 will have it happen, that is why they don't want to change over screens. The expense of the screens is one thing but the labour costs would be enormous on a service model that is already stretched beyond its capacity, that is why they are fighting hard against you the customer not to have to do it.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
New to the forum and this message thread. I noticed yellowing on the main screen two months ago. It was a few pixels wide and appears to be getting worse. It is now over a cm wide on all edges and rounding at the corners. Is this typical?

Does the binnacle screen also have this problem? Yesterday in bright sunlight I believe I saw a yellow border, especially at the bottom of the screen.
IMG_20190815_145031.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
vexige , that is nasty, I feel for you having to look at that every day.
Is Tesla's policy on this screen the same as the MCU screen? Cosmetic, it'll be fine!

Out of interest was that yellowing like the MCU screen where it just appeared one day without warning or is this more gradual?

A quick update, so I finally found some time, was about to file for arbitration but decided to email the SC first and apparently the fix is available, so scheduled the car in 2 weeks. If they fix it, great. If not, I will file then.

PS> On a bright side, the soonest appointment was only a week away! Last time I booked the wait was a month long. Definitely a positive change good to see. Who knows, there may be a new MS in my future after all, let's see how things develop with Tesla.

I scheduled through the app last night for the yellow screen border fix and was originally scheduled to have mobile service come next Friday 8/30. Received a text message this morning that only the SC is able to apply the UV fix at this time so I will be taking it there. I will update when I get it back. This will be performed at the Bellevue SC.

So, I got my result today and my decision was DENIED. "Customer did not provide a preponderance of evidence that there is a manufacturing defect in materials or workmanship that substantially impairs use, safety, or value of the vehicle that is covered by the warranty."

Note, the arbitrator, "Patti", at the beginning of the call, was like "Hi Ryan!" - almost as if they knew each other. I would not at all be surprised at this. She didn't really even seem to listen to what I was saying, and Ryan just meandered around his usual stuff; I think this was a done deal going in.

Remember my screen started yellowing within 90 days. So NCDS is certainly believing Tesla in a lot of instances that this is a "wear item" that needs replacement (even within 90 days) like brakes, tires, etc.

At this point, due to the other problems I've had repeatedly with my Model S, I'm probably going to pursue a lemon law buyback.

Note that if they hadn't done this, I probably wouldn't have.

My IC screen is yellowing as well, and I'm supposed to get that replaced next week, I'm guessing that's going to be a denial as well.

I haven't even had my car a year, and honestly the ownership experience has been one of the worst ones I've ever had.

Last edited:
The attached pictures are a couple of months old, mine is now well over a cm deep into the screen and coming up for a cm on the IC. I am still shocked that Tesla are digging their heels in about this.

Attachments

• NLjKmG09S5+AzCsiGzJEog.jpg
    NLjKmG09S5+AzCsiGzJEog.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 1IkHXCyTQzmtXfPSHAlI1Q.jpg
    1IkHXCyTQzmtXfPSHAlI1Q.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 06.56.50.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 06.56.50.png
    932.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Informative
Reactions: Matias
As far as I know, no lawyers are dealing with this for any customers. Seems like some people get lucky in arbitration, and some of us (like me) don't. This really makes me uncomfortable going forward because it seems like Tesla's warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on, they can arbitrarily decide pretty much anything isn't covered so long as the car "still gets you from point A to point B" as Ryan says.

Anything else? Wear or cosmetic or sunlight, depending on which customer they're shafting at the time.

Does anyone know of a UK based lawyer that is dealing with these issues for the UK customers?

I’ve not heard of anyone taking further than their local SC, so far. Up until fairly recently I think most would have the screens replaced, and are now ‘happy’ to wait for the alleged UV solution to arrive ‘soon’. I’m not sure what the route would be for us as we don’t have the arbitration system.

As far as I know, no lawyers are dealing with this for any customers. Seems like some people get lucky in arbitration, and some of us (like me) don't. This really makes me uncomfortable going forward because it seems like Tesla's warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on, they can arbitrarily decide pretty much anything isn't covered so long as the car "still gets you from point A to point B" as Ryan says.

Anything else? Wear or cosmetic or sunlight, depending on which customer they're shafting at the time.
Surprised that there isn’t a class action on this. With well over 6000 customers affected worldwide I’m sure many would chip in for a class action in the US.

I love my Tesla, love what Tesla and Elon have done to disrupt the Automotive industry, and Environment is one of my core values so will always support the drive to a more sustainable future. It's just appalling that loyal customers paying £100k+ are being treated with such contempt for what is a manufacturing defect and a very easy fix "JUST REPLACE THE FAULTY SCREENS!".

Had been preparing to order my wife a Model 3, this is on hold until my screens are fixed. I wonder how many other customers are feeling the same way?

Reactions: PhilDavid
I love my Tesla, love what Tesla and Elon have done to disrupt the Automotive industry, and Environment is one of my core values so will always support the drive to a more sustainable future. It's just appalling that loyal customers paying £100k+ are being treated with such contempt for what is a manufacturing defect and a very easy fix "JUST REPLACE THE FAULTY SCREENS!".

Had been preparing to order my wife a Model 3, this is on hold until my screens are fixed. I wonder how many other customers are feeling the same way?

I am the same, don’t have the yellowing screen yet though, one factor is most likely because the car is mostly parked in cooled garages and living in Sweden means it is cold most of the year.

But I have many friends who are on the fence about when and which electric cars to buy. They have been impressed with my S mostly but most of them are waiting for the german brands due to uncertainty about Teslas service. If I could tell them the service level is easily on par with the germans they would jump at a Tesla but at this rate I am not even sure I will buy a Tesla when it is time for me to switch cars in 2 years.

Reactions: Didgie
I am not even sure I will buy a Tesla when it is time for me to switch cars in 2 years.

I think many are in that situation, me included. I have 18 months left on my finance and normally I’d be into the next car well before the finance finishes. Not so sure this time, too much bad stuff going on.

I’m all for the save the planet bit but that comes hand in hand with a sense of corporate responsibility and governance that doesn’t seem to exist at the middle/upper levels.

I recently tried to convince a friend to get a Model 3 but when they asked about the yellowing of my screen and how I was being treated I simply had to tell the truth, they decided to go with their existing manufacturer based on the service they had received from them up to that point.

I'm up for a new car in 2 years, at which point I am hoping the competition is on par so I can choose to leave Tesla 'if necessary'. I have a long history of fierce brand loyalty but not when being treated badly. I wouldn't be holding off on a Model 3 or even contemplating looking elsewhere if it weren't for how I am 'personally' being treated regarding this screen issue. When you have options it's the little things that count!

Does anyone know of a UK based lawyer that is dealing with these issues for the UK customers?

Also in the UK with first signs of changes on my screen. I;m about to beard the Service centre over this. If we're not offered a satisfactory solution then I suggest we try to find enough UK owners to get together on this. UK consumer rights will be different to other countries and require a UK approach (whatever that will be). I'd guess several owners getting together and contacting assorted media watchdogs and the press might shame Tesla into doing the right thing if the UV ix doesnlt work/takes too long to be done or isn't warrantied.

Also in the UK with first signs of changes on my screen. I;m about to beard the Service centre over this. If we're not offered a satisfactory solution then I suggest we try to find enough UK owners to get together on this. UK consumer rights will be different to other countries and require a UK approach (whatever that will be). I'd guess several owners getting together and contacting assorted media watchdogs and the press might shame Tesla into doing the right thing if the UV ix doesnlt work/takes too long to be done or isn't warrantied.
Count me in.

Reactions: r1200gs4ok
It's only easy if they're sure the new screens won't suffer the same fate.