Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow dotted line on power meter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The current state of charge/SOC (how much energy was left in the battery. It's bad for the batter to draw high power when the SOC is low so Tesla limits the amount to protect battery life.

in my post you'll see that i noted that the battery had more than 200 miles at the time. so. are you saying you think that may be too low a soc to do full on accel? not in my previous experience.

i just had the experience of having power limited, not sure where/how much, but saw it pop up as i neared 100mph a couple nights ago. just having fun on the way home on a deserted back road, a place i usually floor it. never saw the power limit come on before. it was about 50º out, car had more than 200mi in the battery (85kWh), and i'd been driving mellowly for at least 15 mins at that time. so, what would limit the power here? didn't see anything in the manual about it. anyone with similar experience, or an idea why it would be so limited?

thx

I had a similar experience also with it about 45F outside. I was on a interstate to interstate ramp and was taking the turn at about 65 then jumped on the accelerator when it straightened out. When I got to about 320kW (basically the top of the meter) and was at 85-90 speed the yellow dotted limit turned on. I let off the accelerator and it disappeared again. I think for maximum power draw the battery has a tighter temperature limit and it wasn't quite there.

I also have the same thing (actually the start of that same interstate to interstate ramp) when it is 40F out my regen is limited to 35-40kW, in a place where I normally get 60kW, but there is no dotted line to tell me, even when the regen is limiting. And I have to use the brakes.

I think there is a complex algorithm about battery temps and actual limits of regen and accel. But after a threshold they are not displayed on the dash. A little bothersome, but in general you have to be paying attention to really notice the difference.

intersting. thanks. happy the bms is so good. so.. has anyone gotten to 130 mph?

I have only just hit triple digits. Then brought it back down to 90ish. After a month I am just starting to feel really comfortable with the car. I don't know when I will have a good place and time to see it way up there in speed.

In my GTI I was driving from Atlanta to Nashville and hit my speed limiter. I kept it there for about 4 minutes. I probably burned close to a eighth of a tank. It was about 2 am and the interstate was DEAD empty flat and straight.

I have an observation about the yellow regen limit line. Just because there is no line it doesn't mean there isn't a slight limit. The temperatures today got well above freezing for a change, and I noticed I was getting the full 60 kW regen.

Later the temperature fell back to freezing, and after dinner I noticed there was no limit line. But when I decelerated off the highway I only got 55 kW.

I've also noticed that you never get regen all the way to the yellow bar.

Its like the regen limit line is shown a bit too high. I wonder if that is deliberate or if it's a minor bug?

Can someone explain what these 2 yellow lines are?

View attachment 13111

I know that B is to show regen is limited but how do you read it? I saw A for the first time this morning.

A - Limit consumption.
B - Limit regen.

Both triggered by weather conditions (too cold). B usually slides to around 40 kW, and then vanishes, as the car (battery) warms up.

With the temperature in the 40s (F) outside, I've been seeing B daily for a week or two now. Within 5 miles, it disappears.
I've only seen A once.

There's a "C" that shows up for speed when your SOC/range gets low. At least I think that's why. I've only seen it once, when my Projected (pre 4.0) range was < 10mi.

Ah. Just what I came in here to find out. Saw the "B" Dashed line today for the first time. It's been very cold…

Last edited:
I have an observation about the yellow regen limit line. Just because there is no line it doesn't mean there isn't a slight limit. The temperatures today got well above freezing for a change, and I noticed I was getting the full 60 kW regen.

Later the temperature fell back to freezing, and after dinner I noticed there was no limit line. But when I decelerated off the highway I only got 55 kW.

I've also noticed that you never get regen all the way to the yellow bar.

Its like the regen limit line is shown a bit too high. I wonder if that is deliberate or if it's a minor bug?

My experience exactly.

Somewhat off topic, but how do you get that project range widget on the right hand side? I've never seen that. Also, how do you get the center display to show projected range? Mine currently shows rated range.

Press and hold the scroll wheel and it will bring up the options for that wheel. Scroll to the function you want and press the wheel to select. It was there by default in my car (I think).

You set up "rated or projected" in the vehicle control panel in the "settings" pane.

Press and hold the scroll wheel and it will bring up the options for that wheel. Scroll to the function you want and press the wheel to select. It was there by default in my car (I think).

You set up "rated or projected" in the vehicle control panel in the "settings" pane.

Interesting, my car doesn't have that scroll wheel option. I just looked, but I'm going to go check again.

Interesting, my car doesn't have that scroll wheel option. I just looked, but I'm going to go check again.

I thought every Model S had a scroll wheel. Two of them on the steering wheel. Do you have the Tech option? :confused:

Tesla scroll wheels.png

Last edited:

I thought every Model S had a scroll wheel. Two of them on the steering wheel. Do you have the Tech option? :confused:

I think he meant that that display option isn't in the menu when using the scroll wheel. I'm on the latest and haven't checked, but I know I didn't have it on 5.0 or 5.6. And I only have options for ideal or rated range, not projected...

I think he meant that that display option isn't in the menu when using the scroll wheel. I'm on the latest and haven't checked, but I know I didn't have it on 5.0 or 5.6. And I only have options for ideal or rated range, not projected...
Doh! I thought he meant ideal or rated. I don't think I get projected either and I'm on 5.8. The only place I see that is when I bring up the "Energy" App. I wish my Speedo would show me projected instead of rated. I haven't gotten "rated" once since I got the car. I always get about 15% less. I don't think I'm a lead foot either.

Doh! I thought he meant ideal or rated. I don't think I get projected either and I'm on 5.8. The only place I see that is when I bring up the "Energy" App. I wish my Speedo would show me projected instead of rated. I haven't gotten "rated" once since I got the car. I always get about 15% less. I don't think I'm a lead foot either.

Yeah same here. I actually wish it were user settable. My lifetime is 363 with my 20" Michelin PSS tires, so that would be what I'd want to set it to.

Yeah, I may only have a lowly 60, but they were nice enough to toss the scroll wheels in. :)

Check out the attachment for what my car shows. I am on 5.8 too.

Also, here is a video of the options I have for my scroll wheels:

Video

tesla1.jpg