Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X: What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 15K Miles and just over a year of ownership:

90% is between 229-231

Odd thing is the my Tesla app on iOS says charging is complete usually at 227 or 228 miles, but the vehicle charges to 229-231. Probably just a bug with the app...

My June 2016 X75D has 17,350 miles, and the nightly 90% charge is now 208 miles,

Initially it was 210, then went up to 212. I'm pretty pleased with how little I've lost.

I charge nightly using the UMC to 90%. I have charged at home to 100% no more than 10 times.
I've supercharged about 10 times, once to 100% (at Potomac Mills, aka Woodbridge, Va)

Question: I understand that the 90% is to protect your battery. I think the science is that either a very low or high charge is unhealthy when at a wait state. But what if you are going to use the car for a significant distance (over 50 miles) immediately. Any harm in going to 100%? Only had my 100D for 2 days. My Closest supercharger is about 45 miles away from here. Thinking of topping it off when I pass by.

Question: I understand that the 90% is to protect your battery. I think the science is that either a very low or high charge is unhealthy when at a wait state. But what if you are going to use the car for a significant distance (over 50 miles) immediately. Any harm in going to 100%? Only had my 100D for 2 days. My Closest supercharger is about 45 miles away from here. Thinking of topping it off when I pass by.
I don't know if it is only the wait state that is harmful for the battery, but also the process of going from 90%- to 100% is arduous on the batteries. It is apparently that much harder to cram in the last 10%, so I think that impacts the battery as well.