Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WWYD? Paint Chip from Tint Place

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TL;DR - tint shop chipped paint (very small) on brand new Red Model Y. They offered to pay for repair and rental car. Told me to take it to a body shop that is not Tesla Authorized and I had bad initial experience with. What would you do? Thinking of asking tint place if I could get a quote from the Tesla Authorized shop and they'd still pay.

If you like more detail:

I took delivery of my 2023 Red Model Y on 8/18 and had it at a local reputable tint shop from 8/21-8/25 to get all the glass (except top glass) tinted, front PPF, and ceramic coating done. When I picked it up, it looked amazing. The manager brought up to me that they did find a paint chip (all the way through to white) on the driver side door and asked me if it was there when I dropped it off. It definitely was not, but I had no photos of the driver side to show that. They said they take pictures before they move the car from the spot I parked it in, but he said his photos also didn't show anything. They did use the red paint blending stuff for now, but he said his place will cover the cost to get it fixed at a body shop and for the cost of a rental car. He said they work with a specific body shop in southern NJ and asked me to take it there for an estimate.

Here's the thing, accidents happen. He says he doesn't know how it happened, but in my opinion he did the right thing by bringing it to my attention (I likely wouldn't have found it right away), and also by offering to cover a proper body shop repair where they will blend it etc. I still have concerns. I took it to the body shop this morning but I'm concerned about having it fixed there for a couple reasons.

1) The experience I had this morning. It was pouring rain when I arrived this morning for 9am appt. I was told I had to drive it there for them to look at in person. This is 45 min from my house. I didn't see there was an office entrance on the opposite side of the building from the parking lot (dirt and sand) that I parked in. I walked into the shop garage doors on the side where I parked and someone in there working on a car asked us if we need help. I told him I had appt for 9am to look at the chip. He then flicked his lit cigarette out of the garage doors right next to my son and I and told us hold on while he goes to get someone in the office. There was a big open space we were standing in within the garage door entrance to their shop. Large enough for at least 2 cars. The guy came out and asked me to walk around outside to the other side of the building to the office doors - no problem. Dog comes running up to us as soon as we enter the office barking and scared my son. Both wound up fine. We have a dog, so didn't mind that too much, just didn't expect it. Lady tells me they can't look at it because its raining and they wont be able to see the damage, and there is no room in the garage. Tells me to send photos instead. I told here there is more than enough room in garage, she said there is not.... I asked why I couldn't send pictures to begin with, her answer "I didn't know it was going to be raining and we like to see in person if we can" OK, why not call me that morning or day before and tell me not to come if it's raining. Huge waste of time. Left with bad feeling about the place. Was also told they couldn't get car in to Oct 9 and it would be there at least a week.

2) They are not an authorized Tesla body shop. Should I care about this? I think I would feel much better about it being done at a Tesla authorized shop. Assuming I lose warranty on the work if done elsewhere?

3) Can't get me in until Oct 9th at earliest - want car for at least a week. Thinking this is normal and Tesla authorized place would be the same if not worse?

7.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Must say to me that is way outside of the major concern box. In 6 months you’ll likely have a dozen more obvious than that from driving. Just my opinion
I've had my 2018 Model 3 for 5 years and have nothing close to this in size. Sure there are micro chips here and there, but this one is about the size of a pea and if the tint shop hadn't put temporary color correction paint in there, it would be very obvious. I get its a car and it'll get imperfections over time, but on the 7th day of ownership, 1st day getting it to actually drive it, its disheartening to have a paint chip like that.

I spoke with the Tint shop owner yesterday and he continues to be excellent. I asked him if I could take it to a body shop of my choosing, one that is Tesla authorized, and he said that's fine. I'm still getting a quote from the place he sent me, but I'm getting another from a more local Tesla Authorized body shop as well.

I've had my 2018 Model 3 for 5 years and have nothing close to this in size. Sure there are micro chips here and there, but this one is about the size of a pea and if the tint shop hadn't put temporary color correction paint in there, it would be very obvious. I get its a car and it'll get imperfections over time, but on the 7th day of ownership, 1st day getting it to actually drive it, its disheartening to have a paint chip like that.

I spoke with the Tint shop owner yesterday and he continues to be excellent. I asked him if I could take it to a body shop of my choosing, one that is Tesla authorized, and he said that's fine. I'm still getting a quote from the place he sent me, but I'm getting another from a more local Tesla Authorized body shop as well.
As they admit fault and sound fairly sincere it sounds like you have a positive answer to manage your expectations. Good luck!