Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

With a carbon fiber spoiler, do you go to an automatic car wash anymore?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if any owners with a spoiler can chime in if they now use their car in an automatic car wash (not touchless) anymore after fitting a Spoiler with a double sided adhesive, similar to the slim original one.
Wondering if automatic car washes and spoilers fitted with adhesive don’t mix.

Reactions: Msicario
We've owned 8 Teslas now, all of which with either factory-installed or self-installed carbon fiber spoilers. We're also the proud holders of unlimited wash passes that give us access to half a dozen or more automatic car washes in the area. Needless to say, to "get our money's worth" we go regularly. I'd guess that we go 3-4 days per week per car on average year 'round, probably nearly daily during the summer months. Never once have I had an issue with the spoilers or paint. The commonly parroted posts online of them being dangerous & to be avoided at all costs is greatly exaggerated. At least in our first hand experience over the last 7 or 8 years. That doesn't mean that random things can't happen but they're a lot rarer than online posts would have you believe. My guess is getting keyed happens more frequently. At least it did in our personal experience (keyed once), anecdotal as it may be.

Spoiler self-install pro tips from someone who has done several:
Make sure you do so in warmer weather and get the adhesive promotor wipes. Position the spoiler and tape off the area around it fully with masking take. When your done, you should have just an outline of the actual spoiler visible within the masking tape. Clean the area well with soap first and then rinse thoroughly with water. Finally wipe briefly with isopropyl alcohol. Once it's dry, wipe it with the adhesive promotor. Now place your spoiler back in position and tape it with several long strips of masking tape running up towards the glass. Once done, flip the spoiler up towards the glass (you'll see why these strips need to be long here as short strips won't reach with the distance the center section comes away from the car) and remove the double-sided tape covers. Flip it back down and put all of your weight on it to press it against the surface for at least 5min. Having someone help with this part is ideal as it's probably the most critical. Remove all masking tape. Then let it sit for 24hrs, no rain or car washes for a couple of days while the tape fully cures.

Reactions: nemuro
We've owned 8 Teslas now, all of which with either factory-installed or self-installed carbon fiber spoilers. We're also the proud holders of unlimited wash passes that give us access to half a dozen or more automatic car washes in the area. Needless to say, to "get our money's worth" we go regularly. I'd guess that we go 3-4 days per week per car on average year 'round, probably nearly daily during the summer months. Never once have I had an issue with the spoilers or paint. The commonly parroted posts online of them being dangerous & to be avoided at all costs is greatly exaggerated. At least in our first hand experience over the last 7 or 8 years. That doesn't mean that random things can't happen but they're a lot rarer than online posts would have you believe. My guess is getting keyed happens more frequently. At least it did in our personal experience (keyed once), anecdotal as it may be.

Make sure you do so in warmer weather and get the adhesive promotor wipes. Position the spoiler and tape off the area around it fully with masking take. When your done, you should have just an outline of the actual spoiler visible within the masking tape. Clean the area well with soap first and then rinse thoroughly with water. Finally wipe briefly with isopropyl alcohol. Once it's dry, wipe it with the adhesive promotor. Now place your spoiler back in position and tape it with several long strips of masking tape running up towards the glass. Once done, flip the spoiler up towards the glass (you'll see why these strips need to be long here as short strips won't reach with the distance the center section comes away from the car) and remove the double-sided tape covers. Flip it back down and put all of your weight on it to press it against the surface for at least 5min. Having someone help with this part is ideal as it's probably the most critical. Remove all masking tape. Then let it sit for 24hrs, no rain or car washes for a couple of days while the tape fully cures.
I'll guarantee your paint is swirled, or you installed a complete wrap of the car. The darker the color, the more noticeable it is. Not everyone is anal with their vehicles, which is why they are still in business.

• Funny
Reactions: The Long C_0_N
Oh, you have swirls. LOL
From the person who "would never take their car through an automatic carwash" but is now somehow the self-proclaimed expert on the topic. Right.

It's crazy how many people on this forum are experts offering up undeniable facts on something they've literally never experienced for themselves.

I'm just here to offer my small sample set of first-hand experience as a data point to counter all of the FUD from those who have no idea yet still present it as if it's fact. I couldn't care less if you believe me or not. Just keep parroting your FUD that you heard someone say once on the world wide web so it must be true because... swirls!

Enjoy looking at your car in the hermetically sealed bubble it lives in so you never get bird poop or a rain drop in it. Life must be exhilarating with all of the risks you take on a daily basis.

From the person who "would never take their car through an automatic carwash" but is now somehow the self-proclaimed expert on the topic. Right.
LOL - From the looks of your profile pic, I have more years driving and maintaining vehicles, than you have years since birth. I've learned from experience, having taken cars with better paint than a Tesla, through automatic washes. I personally don't care what you do with your vehicle, but there are people that might. Do you happen to own a car wash? :)

Thank you for going in detail, I was beginning to think I'm the only one not babying it.
Many thanks for the write-up of the spoiler install, you were just in time as I plan to fit mine with 3M VHB in the coming days, fingers crossed.

LOL - From the looks of your profile pic, I have more years driving and maintaining vehicles, than you have years since birth. I've learned from experience, having taken cars with better paint than a Tesla, through automatic washes. I personally don't care what you do with your vehicle, but there are people that might. Do you happen to own a car wash? :)
Wild assumptions and personal attacks aren't helping your cause.

... Clean the area well with soap first and then rinse thoroughly with water. Finally wipe briefly with isopropyl alcohol. Once it's dry, wipe it with the adhesive promotor. ...

For the record, there are two commonly used adhesion promoters: 3M 111 is for painted surfaces, and 3M 94 is for vinyl and plastic.

I bought a can of each and don't trust what comes from China in the unidentified packets. (Yes, I realize from the MSDS that all are 97% alcohol but the "magic" is in the other 3% substance; the alcohol is merely a degreaser/dewaxer.)

• Informative
Reactions: fredzos and nemuro
It's understandable to have concerns about using an automatic car wash with a spoiler attached using double-sided adhesive. While some owners may have had success with it, there are potential risks to consider.

The high-pressure water and brushes in automatic car washes can put stress on the adhesive, potentially leading to the spoiler detaching or causing damage to the car's exterior. To minimize these risks, here are a few pieces of advice:

• Hand Wash or Touchless Car Wash: Consider hand washing your car or using a touchless car wash instead of an automatic car wash. This can help avoid any potential issues with the adhesive and ensure gentle cleaning.
  • Inspect Regularly: Regularly inspect the spoiler and adhesive for any signs of damage or detachment. Look for loose edges, bubbles, or areas where the adhesive may be compromised.

Ultimately, the decision to use an automatic car wash with a spoiler attached using adhesive depends on your comfort level with the potential risks involved. If you're hesitant or concerned about potential damage, it may be best to explore alternative cleaning methods to protect your car's exterior.

Reactions: nemuro
It's understandable to have concerns about using an automatic car wash with a spoiler attached using double-sided adhesive. While some owners may have had success with it, there are potential risks to consider.

The high-pressure water and brushes in automatic car washes can put stress on the adhesive, potentially leading to the spoiler detaching or causing damage to the car's exterior. To minimize these risks, here are a few pieces of advice:

• Hand Wash or Touchless Car Wash: Consider hand washing your car or using a touchless car wash instead of an automatic car wash. This can help avoid any potential issues with the adhesive and ensure gentle cleaning.
  • Inspect Regularly: Regularly inspect the spoiler and adhesive for any signs of damage or detachment. Look for loose edges, bubbles, or areas where the adhesive may be compromised.

Ultimately, the decision to use an automatic car wash with a spoiler attached using adhesive depends on your comfort level with the potential risks involved. If you're hesitant or concerned about potential damage, it may be best to explore alternative cleaning methods to protect your car's exterior.
Every car manufacturer these days uses double-sided tape to affix spoilers, panels and other exterior body parts and has for decades now. Industrial grade tape and glue are used extensively in car assembly these days because it lasts. If this FUD about automatic car washes that people spread was true the wash would be backed up all day long and not moving from body parts just falling off of cars non-stop. In the rare even that it does happen, it was likely a self-install that was done haphazardly and likely would have blown off on the highway or something anyway. If done properly, it will last the life of the car. Automatic car wash or not.