Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Wipers won't freaking stop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
did use the Dash Cam feature to record the windshield condition when it auto wipes and when I had to override, and I seriously can't see any difference in the camera views. There are rain drops in the video, but it's barely visible. Perhaps the computer is better at figuring it out than our eyes?

Or maybe the camera used with auto wipers has a better view of rain on the windshield than the camera used for dashcam.

But it seems like it'd make more sense for those cameras designed for FSD to focus beyond the windshield, minimizing "noise" from stuff on the windshield.

Reactions: DrChaos
In the past ~6 months they have gotten better with software updates but for some reason they constantly turn on in my garage. I am hopeful that they will continue to improve but I am confused as to whatever triggers them to turn on.

Unfortunately, neutral networks don't generally lead to explainable behavior. Perhaps they're sensitive to tiny streaks on the windshield in front of the cameras, or flickering of the lights in your garage, or the position of the car in the garage relative to reflections or background images. You might experiment with how to make the symptom as repeatable as you can, then see how changing factors like these affects it.

If you learn something, please let us know.

Like all vision-only cars, my wipers go into Auto when using cruise control or lane-assist and cannot be taken out of auto. In the fall, I had a major issue with the wipers turning on randomly on dry, sunny days, this was especially true when driving through mottled shadows cast by the sun through the trees in the morning and afternoon.

This finally went away as we slipped fully into winter, but it is back with avengence again and this time it doesn't need mottled shaddows to trigger. The past two days I could not use cruise control at all because the wipers simply will not turn off. I have cleaned the windshield in the sensor area with a microfiber cloth to a near invisible and streak free appearance and inspected to confirm that I see no clouding, residue, or other obstruction on the camera side of the glass.

It's getting to the point that I may try to get Tesla to pay for new wiper blades or even a windshield due to the wear and tear caused by uncontrollable dry operation of the wipers. I would rather have the ability to turn off the wipers and have the cruise control kick me out if it thinks it can't see well enough than this bullshit.

EDIT: I still love the car and the stock, just not as much as if my wipers would turn off!

Reactions: Sporty
I picked up my Model Y in September but haven't driven much on the highway until yesterday. Using Autosteer to my destination in the daylight went fine, except for one random phantom brake episode. On the way home, at night, Autosteer seemed to start this random (quite random) windshield activity. So I just went to Cruise control only... but the wipers started up again. My daughter was helping me problem solve (she found those cards by swiping left and right... clever girl) but the "wipers off" button was grey and not accessible. I had to turn off cruise control to then get the "wipers off" button to work. Clean car and windshield, no moisture anywhere. I'm gathering this is a not uncommon software bug? Annoying (because apparently I cannot keep a steady speed by myself...)
Having the same issue on my 2021 MY. Comes on when I activate cruise, off button is greyed out. Trying a power off- reboot now.

Picked up a Model Y a few weeks ago and today, on a bright and sunny day in California, the wipers just turned on and even went to hyper speed at some points. It's infuriating when it happens, since there are no longer convenient controls near the steering wheel and you have to fiddle with the touchscreen.

What's worse, the car didn't let me turn the wipers off, I could only change their speed or set them to auto. Who thought this was a good idea? It was definitely unsafe for me to try to figure out how to stop them while driving. I had 2 Model S's and a Model X, and they all had crappy vision-based rain sensors, but at least I could quickly fix them using the stalk. Model Y's controls are a whole new level of dumb. Fixing (or rather breaking) what doesn't need to be fixed, for the sake of removing physical controls.

The only other insight I can offer is the wipers seemed to have started when I was driving facing the sun. Once I changed direction, they stopped. Then picked up once I was facing the sun again.

When driving back, I was able to set the wipers to the off position while moving, so as someone suggested, this is likely related to Autosteer. Why can't we turn off the wipers while on Autosteer? Makes no damn sense.

Whelp, this just happened to me. Due to bugs... actual bugs. I must have hit a cloud of gnats or something after which I couldn't use autopilot or even TACC without the wipers running incessantly. My god how dumb is this. I hate auto wipers with a passion to begin with. It's a technology that just never gets it right other than in the most obvious simplistic cases.

But now, it breaks TACC and autosteer too!!! So annoyed about this.

I ended up pulling into a gas station at a rest stop and scrubbed off the tiny dead bugs. There were some in the camera area, but not a lot. I know I could easily write an image processing algorithm to easily differentiate static dirt from rain drops though. I mean come on. No change over time = not raining! They have to be doing this to determine speed adjustments already anyway. Radar wouldn't have had this issue either.

And of course someone had to make a joke about me getting gas at the pump while I did it. Fun times.

I have this problem since yesterday. Yesterday there was a small drizzle in the area, that's why it came on. However in the afternoon even when the sun is up and it's 71F, the wipers come on sporadically. This morning on my commute, same thing, and even with " wipers off" command on my RIGHT steering wheel, it's not turning off..

Status
Not open for further replies.