Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frustrating Auto Wiper Mode.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WattGuy

Feb 2, 2024
USA

I'm sure many Tesla owners would agree that the current version of the Auto wiper function is unacceptable until Tesla fixes the problem. When the wipers are on Auto, they often either wipe too fast when it's hardly raining or not fast enough when there's a downpour. I suggest that on the Cards display, have the wipers available until not needed, rather than pressing and holding the button each time to display and make your selection. Having it accessible at a glance would be safer and available anytime. -WG

Reactions: Sporty
Yes auto wipers are abysmal. The fastest way to manually set speeds is to tap the end of the left stalk. This does a single wipe and brings up the wiper speed card. Then you can push left and right on the left scroll wheel to switch options. This has the benefit of not having any real delay, you can also tap directly on a speed if you're able to safely.

Yes auto wipers are abysmal. The fastest way to manually set speeds is to tap the end of the left stalk. This does a single wipe and brings up the wiper speed card. Then you can push left and right on the left scroll wheel to switch options. This has the benefit of not having any real delay, you can also tap directly on a speed if you're able to safely.
All very useful,👍 As I mentioned, it would be nice to have the wiper card stay visible until it is not needed.

You'd think this would be enough to activate the wipers, wouldn't you? On my M3 they sometimes work OK at low vehicle speeds (35 MPH), but they rarely work correctly at freeway speed.

Attachments

• IMG_9324.jpg
    IMG_9324.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 42

I'm sure many Tesla owners would agree that the current version of the Auto wiper function is unacceptable until Tesla fixes the problem. When the wipers are on Auto, they often either wipe too fast when it's hardly raining or not fast enough when there's a downpour. I suggest that on the Cards display, have the wipers available until not needed, rather than pressing and holding the button each time to display and make your selection. Having it accessible at a glance would be safer and available anytime. -WG
I am reading conflicting advice on whether or not adding RainX to the windshield helps with auto wipers or actually makes the problem worse. Anyone had experience with this?

I agree. I had VWs for years and their wiper system was flawless. I'm convinced they even saved me once from a collision. I always left it on. Got splashed going into a corner and they came to life before I could even react letting me see that cars were stopped ahead. I truly believe that it should be considered a safety feature. In my MY and 3 I keep them turned off as they are quite unreliable as you stated.

They're also dependent on day/night/street lighting. The fact they sometimes can work at all is amazing to me. If you showed me a feed from the car's cameras, like video of the dashcam/sentry recording, I'd have no clue what speed to wipe at. The most you'd see is maybe a hazy blemish now and then. Autopilot cameras are not focused on the windshield, they're aimed to minimize interference from rain.

When i got my M3P ( aug 2023) the first weeks the wipers acted weird. Wiping in panic mode in dry weather conditions. After some searches on Tesla forums i cleaned the camera section of the windshield thoroughly and since then they work fine in auto mode. Very occasionally i have to request manually an extra wipe when raining but overall very satisfied with wiper behaviour

Reactions: BeeGood
When i got my M3P ( aug 2023) the first weeks the wipers acted weird. Wiping in panic mode in dry weather conditions. After some searches on Tesla forums i cleaned the camera section of the windshield thoroughly and since then they work fine in auto mode. Very occasionally i have to request manually an extra wipe when raining but overall very satisfied with wiper behaviour

That makes sense. I am told I should not wash my car because the Tesla paint may fall off. Maybe the glass can be washed without risk of breakage. ;)

New 2024 picked up 3 weeks ago - they Auto doesn't work at ALL - never go on and if you have wipers on and go to auto they stop! On old 2021, they worked??? HORRIBLE

I think the problem is simply unsolvable using current setup.
It is just another Elonism.
AI can not solve what it can not see.
Front cameras are just simply too close to the windshield and are designed to look on the road.

Just use common sense and start using IR rain sensor on the windshield.
Then AI can actually get some quality relevant data to make its decisions regarding wiper action.