Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter is coming. Best All-weather tire and rims for snow and mixed conditions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my MY 7 seater in February and promptly put it to the test in a snowstorm in the mountains of N. Arizona. It passed with flying colors, but I’m pretty sure I will want all-weather tire that are snow rated come December. Does anyone know of good options for the Gemini wheels (19”)?
I saw this last spring:
But they put new 18” wheels on. I’d rather not spend an extra 2.5k on the wheels in addition to the tires.
What are people here planning for with their MY come November/December?

Reactions: jsight
If you found the OE Continental ProContact RX tires performed well last winter then unless you live at the higher elevations or plan on frequently taking the Model Y into the mountains when skiing why not wait until you need to buy replacement tires. (The Continental ProContact RX has the lowest rated performance score (4.6/10) ,when driving on snow and ice, of any of the all-season tires for the Tesla Model Y sold by TireRack.)

If you check on TireRack, right now, they have 5 different winter/snow tires in stock that will fit the Tesla Long Range Model Y with the 19" Gemini wheels.

If you want to purchase all-season tires, right now the Vredestein Quatrac Pro grand touring all-season tire and the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus ultra high performance all season tire are in stock at TireRack.

If you are serious about buying winter tires or replacement all-season tires for this winter buy them soon as the more popular brand and model of tires may not be available it you wait.

Last edited:
If you found the OE Continental ProContact RX tires performed well last winter then unless you live at the higher elevations or plan on frequently taking the Model Y into the mountains when skiing why not wait until you need to buy replacement tires. (The Continental ProContact RX has the lowest rated performance score (4.6/10) ,when driving on snow and ice, of any of the all-season tires for the Tesla Model Y sold by TireRack.)

If you check on TireRack, right now, they have 5 different winter/snow tires in stock that will fit the Tesla Long Range Model Y with the 19" Gemini wheels.

If you want to purchase all-season tires, right now the Vredestein Quatrac Pro grand touring all-season tire and the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus ultra high performance all season tire are in stock at TireRack.

If you are serious about buying winter tires or replacement all-season tires for this winter buy them soon as the more popular brand and model of tires may not be available it you wait.
Michelin PS4 seem to be good performers as well. Expensive but might be worth it if
You don’t drive in the snow a lot.

Absolutely love the performance of the Vredestein Quatrac Pros I put on right after buying my Y last December. Drove ~10K New York / New England / Pennsylvania winter miles last winter and they were terrific. Now up to 19K and they have been great in all conditions (very good in wet).

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy
Absolutely love the performance of the Vredestein Quatrac Pros I put on right after buying my Y last December. Drove ~10K New York / New England / Pennsylvania winter miles last winter and they were terrific. Now up to 19K and they have been great in all conditions (very good in wet).
I was planning on doing the same thing to replace the crappy OEM Conti's. Did you end up selling the stock tires? If so, where did you list and how much were you able to get for them?

Come again?

Do you mean the Pilot Sport 4 or the Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires? Those tires are quite different.
good catch. The all season 4.

I just got them on today. They are slightly noisier but I did see they overfilled the tires. Much gripper than what was on there. We will see how wet performance holds up.

How did the Quatracs impact noise and consumption?
I put them on within 30 miles of purchase, so I don’t have a direct basis for comparison. But I’m getting the expected range while driving (generally more Wh/mile than rated, but that can be the case for so many different reasons). The car is by no means quiet, but that was true on my test drive as well and I don’t feel like tire noise is the main issue.

I put them on within 30 miles of purchase, so I don’t have a direct basis for comparison. But I’m getting the expected range while driving (generally more Wh/mile than rated, but that can be the case for so many different reasons). The car is by no means quiet, but that was true on my test drive as well and I don’t feel like tire noise is the main issue.
The car has a lot of road noise and some wind noise as well. Not as quiet as Lexus but on the surface street and acceleration is significantly quieter. Highway cruising is louder.

I’m planning on running EV01+ 19x8.5 with CrossClimate2 235/50-19. It’s a newer tire but an innovative design that seems to address good performance in rain and snow, as well as a quiet and smooth ride. Good reviews so far particularly snow biased. Also currently under the Michelin sale at Costco.

I have these on my wife's QX50 and they are fantastic. If I hadn't had gotten separate 18's with Blizzaks for my MY, I'd get these. I am probably going to put these on my old workhorse MDX as well before winter comes.

I got 255/40R-20 MICHELIN PILOT ALPIN PA4 N-SPEC N0(PORSCHE) XL for my MYP last December (with some 20" 20X9 ASANTI BLACK LABEL ABL-27 GLS BLACK wheels) and I was pleasantly surprised at how well they stood up to the torque from the Performance.

Personally I'm a huge fan of having dedicated winter and summer tires - but I live in Colorado. I go through 2 sets of tires at the same rate as 1 set twice - while greatly reducing the risk of needing to pay for repairs.

I also didn't have a choice about new wheels since there were no offset 21" winter tires in the MYP size available last winter and I took delivery December 26th. This may be different now - 8 haven't checked.

Reactions: BigYuse
I’m planning on running EV01+ 19x8.5 with CrossClimate2 235/50-19. It’s a newer tire but an innovative design that seems to address good performance in rain and snow, as well as a quiet and smooth ride. Good reviews so far particularly snow biased. Also currently under the Michelin sale at Costco.
I just installed this exact setup on my Y. Happy so far. Had Induction wheels and stock goodyear before. Ran them bald and they sucked. Crappy in the snow too. With the EV01 and CC2, so far getting the same efficiency (without aero covers) and they are slightly noiser. Noise is a low growl/motor winding up sound. Think it might go away as they break in. The setup has taken out some of the real harsh feeling from lines in the road. My head can stay on the head rest now. Wife was very impressed with them so far as well.

I just installed this exact setup on my Y. Happy so far. Had Induction wheels and stock goodyear before. Ran them bald and they sucked. Crappy in the snow too. With the EV01 and CC2, so far getting the same efficiency (without aero covers) and they are slightly noiser. Noise is a low growl/motor winding up sound. Think it might go away as they break in. The setup has taken out some of the real harsh feeling from lines in the road. My head can stay on the head rest now. Wife was very impressed with them so far as well.
That's awesome to hear, same width 235 on the CC2? I'm not surprised at the noise as they have a funky skinny tread pattern and not the typical large blocks, hope it goes away. I was just concerned that 235 may not be wide enough, although I will mainly be using them for road trips and mountain snow driving I think it should be appropriate.

Reactions: sgong6
Yes 235 width CC2. They work perfect with 8.5” wide rims. Still good curb protection. Haven’t done any full throttle pulls yet, but I’m not worded about traction at all on the narrower tires

D8F1E0C0-75B4-46A7-AB0C-085FB5658C9B.jpeg

7A047314-7280-4841-8E60-DC4A715CEA4D.jpeg

I got 255/40R-20 MICHELIN PILOT ALPIN PA4 N-SPEC N0(PORSCHE) XL for my MYP last December (with some 20" 20X9 ASANTI BLACK LABEL ABL-27 GLS BLACK wheels) and I was pleasantly surprised at how well they stood up to the torque from the Performance.

Personally I'm a huge fan of having dedicated winter and summer tires - but I live in Colorado. I go through 2 sets of tires at the same rate as 1 set twice - while greatly reducing the risk of needing to pay for repairs.

I also didn't have a choice about new wheels since there were no offset 21" winter tires in the MYP size available last winter and I took delivery December 26th. This may be different now - 8 haven't checked.
Thanks DP, I'm in Durango in queue for MYLR. Do you swap them yourself or take to a shop? I may have to go to ABQ for tires but local shops are good for swapping. Cheers.

Thanks DP, I'm in Durango in queue for MYLR. Do you swap them yourself or take to a shop? I may have to go to ABQ for tires but local shops are good for swapping. Cheers.
I used to do seasonal swaps myself, but discovered that Discount Tire does seasonal swaps (where tires are already balanced on the wheel) for free.

Also free flat repairs. (And if a wheel stud is stripped, will give you a coupon to have that fixed for free at Brakes Plus - this alone saved me like $800 vs subaru dealer (my spare car till Cybertruck) when I had one stripped stud on each wheel). I actually bought the above listed tires and wheels from tirerack, but honestly discount tire has earned my loyalty for future purchases.

Edit to add photo of above listed tire/wheel
20201230_155850.jpg

20210401_172751.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SuzyQ4
VredesteinWINTRAC PRO - SIZE: 255/40R20
I have a Model Y performance and I just switched out my suspension and coil overs from unpluggedperformance.com. The bumpiness was giving me whiplash. I kept the ride stiff and sporty but soft for passengers. It is such a better a ride!!

Has anyone tried these tires???? I live in NJ and I am a realtor and work all over the entire state in all weather conditions. I put over 23,000 miles on my car in under a year. I heard we may be expecting a harsh winter like last year, so I want to be prepared as I didn't realize I had summer tires on my car and it was like playing Russan roulette while driving, because nothing stops me from helping my clients! I have seen amazing reviews for these tires in the harsh weather at fast speeds. I should mention I am a speed demon... so I need extra traction on icy snow covered roads. The problem is, when do we actually change out the tires here? They are rated for under 45 degrees but that doesn't always happen until the end of November but then we can get warm days and ho days out of now where... and in March the same thing... Any help would be much appreciated! I had the Michelins on my Stinger GT2 and they were good tires but the tread life was terrible which is why I wanted to try something different.