Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter charge failure: don't use scheduled charge when very cold.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think the cabin has a glycol radiator, only PTC heater and AC evaporator. Is there a specific post out of the 14 pages that says otherwise?

I can't find a specific one for that, and there may indeed not be a path for heat to the cabin, even though one was clearly considered at the time of patent. However, at the very least, the use of drive train heat to warm the battery relieves the battery of that and reduces the load on it. So perhaps that accounts for my observation that heating demand drops significantly as a trip proceeds, with constant outside conditions.

If I'm not mistaken, the diagram posted by Doug_G higher on this page shows no glycol connection from the drive train to the battery, whereas the observations of Range mode effects to which I pointed earlier clearly indicate that the drive train does dump heat to the battery as well as to the radiators. If that function is missing from the diagram, then maybe the function to dump heat in the cabin is also missing from that diagram? Just sayin...

Last edited:
I can't find a specific one for that, and there may indeed not be a path for heat to the cabin, even though one was clearly considered at the time of patent. However, at the very least, the use of drive train heat to warm the battery relieves the battery of that and reduces the load on it. So perhaps that accounts for my observation that heating demand drops significantly as a trip proceeds, with constant outside conditions.

If I'm not mistaken, the diagram posted by Doug_G higher on this page shows no glycol connection from the drive train to the battery, whereas the observations of Range mode effects to which I pointed earlier clearly indicate that the drive train does dump heat to the battery as well as to the radiators. If that function is missing from the diagram, then maybe the function to dump heat in the cabin is also missing from that diagram? Just sayin...

Battery can scavenge heat from motor/ inverter along with its own self heating to reduce pack electric heater demand. In its alternate position, this valve
valve.PNG

routes the coolant from the motor/inverter through the battery pack before going on the big loop back to the motor/inverter.

Battery can scavenge heat from motor/ inverter along with its own self heating to reduce pack electric heater demand. In its alternate position, this valve
View attachment 283929
routes the coolant from the motor/inverter through the battery pack before going on the big loop back to the motor/inverter.

I have had a hard time with this diagram. What does this switch look like when it is in the "alternate position.?"