Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter 2015 GTA to Southern US Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At what speeds, and over how long a distance, did you get 230 Wh/km?

Because I live up in Port Perry I am typically on country roads with 80kph speed limits, so I drive 80-95, very efficient speeds. If I'm heading into Toronto I have been sticking to 100 on the 401 just to see how efficient I can be (normally I'd drive 110)

I keep the cabin at 18.5C, not hot. I find that very comfortable.

I will experiment as the temperature warms up to see how this changes. If we get a 4-5 degree day and I need to travel into Toronto I'll measure it again.

As for a full charge in Niagara to reach Cranberry PA, yes, I agree (with mrElbe), and that's why I'm thinking of departing in the morning, it's about 2.5 hours to Niagara, then I can do something fun with the kids while I charge up and have lunch too. Or even better I stop in Buffalo and charge there. No bridge crossing risk after that. Should be easy to get to Cranberry after that.

That's the thinking so far ... less than 24 hours after I posted my initial question. I am evolving things as I research. I really appreciate everyone's feedback and I hope this is useful to others too. Many of us must be thinking of this kind of trip at some point, and who knows when Buffalo gets built.

Because I live up in Port Perry I am typically on country roads with 80kph speed limits, so I drive 80-95, very efficient speeds. If I'm heading into Toronto I have been sticking to 100 on the 401 just to see how efficient I can be (normally I'd drive 110)

I keep the cabin at 18.5C, not hot. I find that very comfortable.

I will experiment as the temperature warms up to see how this changes. If we get a 4-5 degree day and I need to travel into Toronto I'll measure it again.

As for a full charge in Niagara to reach Cranberry PA, yes, I agree (with mrElbe), and that's why I'm thinking of departing in the morning, it's about 2.5 hours to Niagara, then I can do something fun with the kids while I charge up and have lunch too. Or even better I stop in Buffalo and charge there. No bridge crossing risk after that. Should be easy to get to Cranberry after that.

That's the thinking so far ... less than 24 hours after I posted my initial question. I am evolving things as I research. I really appreciate everyone's feedback and I hope this is useful to others too. Many of us must be thinking of this kind of trip at some point, and who knows when Buffalo gets built.

AFAIK there are a lot more 70/80A EVSE's in Niagara Falls Canada thanks to Sun Country, on the other side you are much more limited in choice. Something to keep in mind....

Last edited:
I plan on doing the same trip at March break but to Florida starting in Mississauga so I have the same issue as you have.

I am not thinking about not doing it - it is doable with planning and some patience.

My plan is to pick the fastest charger at the last possible point on the Canadian side before crossing the border. There is a new HPWC at the Comfort Inn near the Fallsview area border crossing so this might be the best option if it is fully online at 100A(80A). There is also a Sun Country charger at the White Oaks Hotel that is across from a mall with lots to eat and do.

I plan on doing the same trip at March break but to Florida starting in Mississauga so I have the same issue as you have.

I am not thinking about not doing it - it is doable with planning and some patience.

My plan is to pick the fastest charger at the last possible point on the Canadian side before crossing the border. There is a new HPWC at the Comfort Inn near the Fallsview area border crossing so this might be the best option if it is fully online at 100A(80A). There is also a Sun Country charger at the White Oaks Hotel that is across from a mall with lots to eat and do.

Awesome ... we can share info. Do these hotels require you to be a guest to use their charger? I just don't want to arrive and get stuck unable to charge for a long time. But it's probably a chance I have to take if I want to take the Model S.

Do you feel comfortable driving from Niagara to the Cranberry PA supercharger on a single charge?

My current plan is to leave at night and travel a couple of hours to Ellicotville and stay at the Holiday Valley Inn overnight and then head directly to Somerset PA. The cheaper option I researched is an RV park a little further down 219 that rents RVs to stay in and has 14-50 charging. I charged last week at the White Oaks Inn without staying there (as I shopped across the street) with no problem but it isn't close enough to the border. The charger at Comfort Inn at Fallsview is in their parking garage but it is a HPWC donated by Tesla. I received an email from Tesla recommending this so I'm pretty sure it would be free. From there to Cranberry is about 354km so it should be possible with conservative driving and keeping the heating off. There are some other slower chargers along that route as a backup plan in case you end up low.

Here is my complete route in case you are interested. I have a relative we're visiting in Charlotte which is why we have the detour.

=====================
March 11th
=====================
1. Home - Holiday Valley
- 218 km

=====================
March 12th
=====================
2. Holiday Valley - Somerset PA
- 318 km
- MAP
3. Somerset PA - Woodbridge VA
- 309 km
- MAP
4. Woodbridge VA - South Hill VA
- 268 km
- MAP
5. South Hill VA - Huntersville NC
- 332 km
- MAP

=======================
March 13th
=======================
6. Huntersville NC - Santee SC
- 271 km
- MAP
7. Santee SC - Savannah GA
- 176 km
- MAP
8. Savannah GA - St Augustine FL
- 284 km
- MAP
9. St Augustine FL - Orlando FL
- 185 km
- MAP

Last edited:
I like your route. Thanks for the details. Man, I just wish the Buffalo SC would get moving. It shows as being permitted but no action anywhere to be found. I wonder why Tesla is delaying this when the permit is already in place? It's such an important SC location for us GTA folks passing into the USA.