Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window metal grates to prevent window break in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can Tesla or any car company develop some kind of break in solution for cars? My main idea is to have some foldable metal wires that can go up when the car is parked automatically. Like when you leave the Tesla these metal wires go up whenever the car is locked. It will be square shaped so it's easily storable when the car is on and needs to be put away. Kind of like window blinds.

Even if they could be cut, it would increase the amount of time a burglar needs to break into your car. Most car burglars may not even carry wire cutters since nothing like this has been developed. It would need to be for every window though to make it not worth while to try break in. Since hiding your stuff is not enough anymore, like these burglars will still break in for a chance of taking something.

If they still want to break the window, they can, but then these metal wires will likely only allow the burglar to stick their arm inside the car, but not their full body, and no backpack or bags will be able to be taken out because it won't fit through the square metal wires. Maybe all they can take is a wallet or iPhone if they are lucky and if it's in arms reach, but hopefully the car owner who has these metal wires installed wouldn't allow anyone to see this.

. Hopefully it can be installed where its permanent and the only way you could defeat is by using wire cutters, but hopefully they can be as thick or hard to cut as possible so hopefully it will take too long thus not worth the hassle.

I'm also hoping my glovebox and frunk will be the most secure parts of the car if I place my car in a high crime area like San Francisco at night. My main thing I don't want stolen is my stash of arcade cards that could have a few thousand dollars worth of tickets combined as well as some gift cards. They are in a card binder. It always stays in the glovebox, I never will put that arcade cards in the center console storage where it could be opened by a car break in thief. I hope there is no way for a thief to open a Tesla glove box, I don't see any opening handle on it like most car glove boxes do. Maybe they can try a crow bar but I even tried putting my fingers under it, I don't see if it be worth trying to force open a glovebox that may have nothing in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: thefrog1394
I'm also hoping my glovebox and frunk will be the most secure parts of the car if I place my car in a high crime area like San Francisco at night. My main thing I don't want stolen is my stash of arcade cards that could have a few thousand dollars worth of tickets combined as well as some gift cards. They are in a card binder. It always stays in the glovebox, I never will put that arcade cards in the center console storage where it could be opened by a car break in thief. I hope there is no way for a thief to open a Tesla glove box, I don't see any opening handle on it like most car glove boxes do. Maybe they can try a crow bar but I even tried putting my fingers under it, I don't see if it be worth trying to force open a glovebox that may have nothing in it.
It might also be a good idea to not announce to the internet where you keep extremely valuable items in your car and what town you're located in.

This is never EVER going to happen. The market for it is all but nonexistent(aka you only!) and anything portable enough to be removable/temporary will be easy to break or remove and/or hard to stow. You'd want them on all four windows... are you going to go around all four windows to put these in every time you park in your urban hell-hole(exaggeration, but that's what you seem to be describing)? Even if they are automatic as you suggest as a possibility, they'll make the doors thicker, car heavier, and almost no one will want them.

I'm sure there are some brands that use laminated glass for the side windows and maybe even back window. Maybe even Tesla or Tesla aftermarket suppliers do. That's a far more likely-to-happen solution to your problem, but even laminated glass is no match for an axe or hatchet.

In answer to your question about the glovebox, set a pin to open it and then the thieves will have to take an extra 10 seconds to break it open. The only good news is the thief may just not know it exists since there is no handle.

My advice: stop storing valuables in your car and stay away from high crime areas.

Dude if somebody wants in they get in. I saw a guy take a chainsaw to the wall of a house to "make" a door so he could rob it. If somebody wants in they will get in and that includes busting open a glovebox.

Actually in Bonaire (small South American island). When you rent a vehicle you sign an agreement to not lock the doors. The rental car companies don't want the windows being broken just because some idiot left stuff in the car. If you lock the doors the rental car company will never rent to you again.

In a high crime area, dude you can't expect the glove box or locked doors to stop anybody.

After the first break-in, you won’t store valuables in a car again.

Regardless, no car is or will be “break-in proof”. All you can do is deter perps and hope that any lengthy break-in will make them go away and find a different target.

There are “security” tints that you can install on your glass pieces. Glass will still shatter/break, but the thickness of the tint will hold the shape/location of the window. With enough force and time, someone can still breakthrough it but it negates the quick in/out perps are looking for.

Edit: one more thing I forgot. Windows make good emergency exits… by strengthening the glass/window or putting barriers up, you’re taking that away.

Bars on your car would take a LOT of thought and engineering to make it work. Investigate your idea a bit more, make some prototypes and test them out.
Screenshot_20231003_111203_Chrome.jpg