Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you diversify your TSLA soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

OrthoSurg

Jun 2, 2017
Montreal
What is your trigger to sell some TSLA and buy some ETFs to diversify/diworsify?

Certain pre determined stock price?
Certain pre determined age from retirement?
When you retire?
Progressively when you come close from retirement?
You stress threshold when you stop taking Xanax when the stock price recovers?

Share your wisdom with everyone.

I will diversify if I ever get again back to my retirement goal. I have realized that is no possible to have a peaceful retirement by only holding Tesla and also I don't want to spend my retirement starring at stock ticker all day. Maybe I will sale enough stock to cover my core retirement (2/3 of stock) and let the rest ride it out with some hedging from CC Leaps.

As far as the CEO thing, it has been rough lately but that too shall pass; the sell off was mostly impart to the bear market. Financial are more important than what a CEO does or says and they will win in the long term.

I have a lot of different investments already, not just TSLA. I do a a significant (for my net worth) amount of TSLA, but I'm just too "conventional", I guess, to put all of my eggs in one basket.

I think TSLA is great, but the future is unknowable. What unforeseen events could occur that would cause a single company to crater? I don't know if they are truly "unforeseen", so I keep my money spread out a bit.

I do keep a significant amount in index funds, and have a decent bond portfolio, too. Guess that makes me boring.

Reactions: kabin and kcveins
Hmm, interesting topic that I haven’t thought too much about. I was planning on getting to a certain share goal, and then ride it out by selling weekly CCs for $1 premium. With the >50% drop this past year perhaps I should reconsider. If we drop below $150, I will be underwater, but can handle the pain. I was hoping to buy Tesla’s for several family, but only if we get back to ATH retirement. Currently, I’m sleeping better by selling CCs-CSPs straddles, so perhaps I’ll just keep that up since it’s relatively easy to receive $2-$3/wk premium on monthlies. As for my portfolio, I’m essentially all in TSLA, except a 2-yr emergency fund in cash/CDs.

I believe in the company and the mission, so it will take a a significant failure (or completion) of the mission or the company to get me to diversify. I’ll probably stay until they are no longer increasing sales of S3XY, Semi, Megapack, and solar. Once EVs are at least 80% of vehicle sales, and if Tesla doesn’t have at least 30% of that market, I’ll probably sell, but not until they are selling at least 5M/yr. Maybe after another Gigafactory or two are scaled up. If they fail to achieve 5M/yr by 2025 (and no other company is doing more), then that’s a sign that they are not on mission and I might diversify.

I'm not expecting the same looney tunes stock market performance for the next year or so. And after that, production onshoring production will likely continue to feed worldwide inflation.

I think TSLA can make up some recent losses but maybe after more pain. I keep a sensible portion of TSLA stock and increase it when the SP goes down. It might even be smarter to trade TSLA versus hold it.