Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you buy FSD before the $1,000 increase on July 1st?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to see where other people are on this question. At the current state of development, I don't think it appears worth it anyway. Just seeing how my standard autopilot equipped car works, I don't see them getting to full self driving before i'm done with the car in 5 years or so. Would be nice if they had a transfer program. What if I only keep this car three years and move to a cyber truck?

At any rate, its coming to the point where its now or never for me. Frankly 8000 dollars is ridiculous. 7,000 is too but if it keeps going up, I"m not going to be buying it at any cost as its just getting crazy already. So I'm contemplating buying at the end of June. I'm also quite worried about the real possibility that either they don't get the stuff done in a realistic timeline or competition starts to creep up lowering the value potentially by thousands of dollars.

So curious to hear what others think. I would ask that people that have already bought refrain from posting as I don't want this to just be about justifying the purchase.

flyingpig.png

This is going to get a lot of Dislikes, but Tesla is not even leading the AV race anymore.
If you want the first AV out there, it most likely will be a different brand.
Waymo (Google) and Cruise (GM) have both demonstrated very reliable AVs in some pretty bad urban traffic.
Tesla has not even tried to test in downtown San Francisco, or to pick up passengers in the suburbs without a driver.

What's the price up to now?

Has the basic AP feature set changed since spring last year? I bought EAP with the vehicle and I'd be very sad going back to only that AP feature set.

P.S. I upgraded to FSB last spring during the end of the $2K special price. I had done so rolling the dice that they'd come through on stoplight/stop signs, I pegged that value to me as at least covering the upgrade price. They did come through! With a caveat; I'd be over the moon if they hadn't dropped the +5 from the max speed. Still it has worked out.

• Informative
Reactions: mcorf
This is going to get a lot of Dislikes, but Tesla is not even leading the AV race anymore.
Waymo (Google) and Cruise (GM) have both demonstrated very reliable AVs in some pretty bad urban traffic.
Tesla has not even tried to test in downtown San Francisco, or to pick up passengers in the suburbs without a driver.
You can't really "who's ahead" compare geo-fenced systems to AP in a meaningful way. They are on very different paths, although GM might be trying to cross over with "Ultra Crusie"? Even if GM is, well that's not a shipping or even demo'd system.

Neither Waymo nor Cruise sell cars to consumers though- so that's a pretty pointless comparison.

(and the hardware they're using for those results would add tremendously to consumer cars costs)

GM the sells-to-consumer folks currently offer nothing better than Supercruise- which is actually quite good if you're ok with basically just standard (non-e) AP functionality, and only on a very specific set of highways, but that's it.

There's a "better" version "coming soon" and it has been for a while now.

Another vote for no here, basic autopilot already help me reduce an overwhelming majority of the stress from driving, even in LA traffic (before right now). I would rather spend $7k (or $8k afterwards) on something else, or pay towards my loan for my car.

However, if they ever do a monthly option in the future, I may consider it during long trips or vacations where it might be more useful during those times.

Last edited:
Nope, not for me. I love the idea of having it, but the fact that it doesn't "stay with your account" is probably the deal-breaker. If I sell, trade, or it somehow gets totaled, I'd have to repurchase it all over again. I think it's also worth mentioning that we're purchasing on the 'promise' that it will deliver this--meaning, we are buying something that we can't have now (yes, i know. investment)

You miss navigate on autopilot too, but from what I've read I'm not sure how useful that is. People seem to say that it can't get out of the way if something is blocking the road on the lane is merged by cones or something like regular autotpilot, but then I'm confused on how it can auto change lanes.

I have FSD and I would not recommend buying it for $7k or $8k. Current autopilot features are great, they make driving safer. Summon is something I've used about 5 times just because friends were curious and I don't trust it any farther than I can see it. Navigate on Autopilot is OK but I have found it to be a little unpredictable and if I can't stop paying attention then what's the point? If they offered my a $7k refund for it right now I'd take the money and run.

Even if the car could drive itself, I'm not loaning it out for robotaxi use... this is my dream car and I bought it to keep clean, drive hard, and enjoy with my friends and family. I don't want to put 1000s of extra miles on it or have some drunk 20 something year olds puking in the back seat during their ride home from the bar.

Other thing is, what about future car purchases. Next car you pay 10000 for it? That's just nuts. Subscription potentially makes more sense I think.

Using the FSD subscription thread the price floor will increase from $117 to $133/month come July.

But based on the logic of some forum members there the FSD subscription price should drop from $10 to $8.60/month come July, hahaha.