Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the pre-facelift versions show signs of age on a tech platform compared to the refreshed model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My family has recently gotten their first Tesla, which is a 2016 Model S with the old front fascia. We intend to keep it for the next coming years, and the car itself is amazing in every possible way. It definitely carries the "wow" factor, and we could not have been more satisfied with it, but I am stuck wondering if the facelifted models will exceed this level of perfection. Will it somehow manage to make the pre-facelifted model "older" considering the tech inside? Is the difference between the facelift and the pre-facelift remarkable?

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I think it's irrelevant. Admittedly, I am awaiting the delivery of mine with the new front in the next few weeks. About the only thing of value that truly changes is the LED headlights so far as I understand it (amid a slew of speculation over various other unconfirmed changes) - the "bioweapon defense mode" isn't something I think adds value - unless there's a zombie attack coming.

Trying to figure out what the "next" great features to be added is impossible to figure out as they seem to be added on whenever Tesla can get it into production - much of it is secretive until it's formally released. I wouldn't regret your choice, otherwise every few months you'll go nuts over new changes.

Unconfirmed/speculated changes include: 100kWh pack, Autopilot 2.0 changes, ventilated seats options, door pockets and other storage.

So far as I know, there hasn't been any deliveries with the new front end (post-the new pricing), although they should start delivering very soon.

Reactions: msnow
Personally, I think it's irrelevant. Admittedly, I am awaiting the delivery of mine with the new front in the next few weeks. About the only thing of value that truly changes is the LED headlights so far as I understand it (amid a slew of speculation over various other unconfirmed changes) - the "bioweapon defense mode" isn't something I think adds value - unless there's a zombie attack coming.

Trying to figure out what the "next" great features to be added is impossible to figure out as they seem to be added on whenever Tesla can get it into production - much of it is secretive until it's formally released. I wouldn't regret your choice, otherwise every few months you'll go nuts over new changes.

Unconfirmed/speculated changes include: 100kWh pack, Autopilot 2.0 changes, ventilated seats options, door pockets and other storage.

So far as I know, there hasn't been any deliveries with the new front end (post-the new pricing), although they should start delivering very soon.
Congratulations on your purchase :) I agree, the LEDs seem to be a huge upgrade from the xenon headlights.

While the car is amazing, I'm stuck wondering if it will be made "inferior" to the facelifted ones in the foreseeable future.

The truth of the matter is that Tesla are constantly tweaking the car, and whenever you buy it will shortly be "inferior" to the ones following. The first time a change happens, it feels like a shock - there are "pre-XXX" cars and "post-XXX" cars, and yours is one of the pre-XXX ones! After the next couple you get used to it - your car is just one point on a long scale, it's pre-XXX and pre-YYY, but it's also post-AAA and post-BBB. Is the facelift uniquely significant? Probably not - while it's easily visible, it's the least important feature of the car once you are actually driving it. And when it comes to resale, obviously it is a factor, but so will all the other upgrades before and since.

In my case, my car was delivered not long before the cars with autopilot hardware started arriving. And then if I'd waited a bit longer I could have ordered a 'D' car (but would have had to wait much longer to get it). And then later I could have had a '90 battery. But I already had, for example, parking sensors and folding wing-mirrors which the early cars didn't have

The truth of the matter is that Tesla are constantly tweaking the car, and whenever you buy it will shortly be "inferior" to the ones following. The first time a change happens, it feels like a shock - there are "pre-XXX" cars and "post-XXX" cars, and yours is one of the pre-XXX ones! After the next couple you get used to it - your car is just one point on a long scale, it's pre-XXX and pre-YYY, but it's also post-AAA and post-BBB. Is the facelift uniquely significant? Probably not - while it's easily visible, it's the least important feature of the car once you are actually driving it. And when it comes to resale, obviously it is a factor, but so will all the other upgrades before and since.

In my case, my car was delivered not long before the cars with autopilot hardware started arriving. And then if I'd waited a bit longer I could have ordered a 'D' car (but would have had to wait much longer to get it). And then later I could have had a '90 battery. But I already had, for example, parking sensors and folding wing-mirrors which the early cars didn't have

And to add to what you said, I'd say the current model has basically gotten to a relatively stable level. About the only thing that could potentially change significantly is the battery pack and equipment changes for AP but I've got a feeling that's years off and may be able to be retrofitted.

Personal opinion is the "nose-cone" version of the S will be considered a classic design and the fact it will be unique within the Tesla line makes it desirable and eventually collectable.

A Jag E type has really antiquated tech but it's gorgeous. Fortunately, the nose cone S is still state of the automotive art in most areas.

It is like this with ANY car or brand over time. With the MS it will take a good 5-10 years until any particular "year model" is inferior to the next, and even then it is a car so if it meets your needs, then it is never inferior. There is only so much that can be added to cars at this point - mainly range and autonomous driving, but many/most people actually like to drive still. ;-)

I wasn't referring to the exterior, nor the image when I mentioned the word "inferior", rather the tech underneath. My english isn't perfect so it is a slight challenge for me to word myself correctly.

If the LED headlights and HEPA filter aren't important to you, then most likely it won't be much different until an update to Autopilot hardware comes out - I was thinking that would be next year, but the evidence suggests it'll be sometime this year.

But if you'd waited, you wouldn't get to use the car now. There is no right answer. :)

While I like the new front end and agree the new headlights are an upgrade, I have been able to enjoy my car for the past 11 months. It is state of the art as far as driving goes. The continuing OTA software upgrades are the coolest feature of this car. Originally I had planned to wait for the Model 3, but once I drove the S I simply did not want to wait any longer. I am happy I did not wait.

If the LED headlights and HEPA filter aren't important to you, then most likely it won't be much different until an update to Autopilot hardware comes out - I was thinking that would be next year, but the evidence suggests it'll be sometime this year.

But if you'd waited, you wouldn't get to use the car now. There is no right answer. :)

Agree here also. I like the new look but I'm mainly waiting until some major more range is available; say 125kWh+, much more new AP hardware, improved interior quality/speed of electronics, etc.

I figure that is 3-5 years out or so, so no worries until then - the current MS with the nosecone will remain state of art and always great looking until then ;-)

Having a pre-AP MS I've thought about upgrading to a new P90D but I'll wait until AP 2.0 comes.

The Karstyle facelift for all Model S before Tesla's big change is remarkable. It is also $3500 but one has to look quite closely to tell that it still has the old headlights. In the Pacific NW where we get a ton of rain our air quality is quite good so the HEPA filter is less attractive. Maybe i should go a CPO car. Gotta make that decision in 4-6 months. hmm.

Your concern is short lived.. even the facelift will have upgrades in the next 6-12 months making them aged too. Similar to how people are confused as to how to game the Tesla new releases, the used car market will simply be just as confusing.

CPO 70D will become 75D..
CPO Non-activated autopilot will have autopilot..