Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Mod3 PXXD be quicker than the S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm... In another thread, the League of Lowered Expectations is claiming a Tesla Motors official 'confirmed' the Model ☰ will have a base battery capacity of 'less than' 60 kWh. I have always presumed that the usable capacity of a 60 kWh battery pack would be less -- perhaps 54 kWh -- so I would hope that is what was meant (if it was said at all). I just sincerely doubt that Elon would allow that after GM has already announced a 60 kWh capacity for the BOLT.

Geez what's the obsession with kWh? The important metrics are performance and range. Plus, I'm sure there will be at least 2 and maybe 3 kWh options. I predict that - breaking with the trend of the S and X - model designation on the 3 will be something other than kWh. So, you won't have a 355 or a 370 or a 390, but rather a 3 and a 3 'tall' and a 3 'grande' (substitute your own naming, it won't be starbucks, and it won't be typical auto, like LS or S or XE. "Ludicrous" should have taught us that.).

• Funny
Reactions: Red Sage
Hmmm... In another thread, the League of Lowered Expectations is claiming a Tesla Motors official 'confirmed' the Model ☰ will have a base battery capacity of 'less than' 60 kWh. I have always presumed that the usable capacity of a 60 kWh battery pack would be less -- perhaps 54 kWh -- so I would hope that is what was meant (if it was said at all). I just sincerely doubt that Elon would allow that after GM has already announced a 60 kWh capacity for the BOLT.
It does make some sense if you look at it from the whole, "doing more with less" angle. That is if the Mod3, using a smaller battery pack, is faster and goes farther than the Bolt.

It does make some sense if you look at it from the whole, "doing more with less" angle. That is if the Mod3, using a smaller battery pack, is faster and goes farther than the Bolt.

read the link I just posted and stop the bickering. @wallet.dat it appears you and the "do more with less" camp win.

the base model will be < 60kwH.

but this is good news (maybe) for those of us buying the bigger battery....assuming Tesla passes on some of their savings to us (but I won't hold my breath).

I think the top end Model 3 will be close to if not better than the current P90D. But, by then I think we're going to see an even better Model S, as in P120D with insanely ludicrous or something that can hit the 2.5s mark. Of course the Model 3 won't outdo the Model S, but the top end 3 will definitely outdo a base S, just like a P90DL beats a Roadster. Tesla will offer the best that the car can do.

The S will likely get more refined interior and other options to make it more of a luxury car to differentiate.

The S will likely get more refined interior and other options to make it more of a luxury car to differentiate.
If by 'more refined' you mean softened, and quilted, and laced, and embroidered, and pillowed...? No. That ain't gonna happen. The design team has been firm on this. They will NOT be moving to a 'more traditional' interior design scheme -- EVER.

Skip to the Q&A Session that begins around the 28:00 mark or so.

Read this article written last June. http://seekingalpha.com/article/3258855-will-teslas-model-3-compete
This guy is an engineer and basically backed into the configurations using known targets for energy density, cell size, etc. His predictions turned out to be almost 100% accurate from what we know so far. He predicted the wheelbase down to the fraction of an inch and was correct.
The M3 will not go faster than the P90DL because Tesla doesn't want it to. The VP doing the M3 test rides can be heard saying essentially that in one of the you-tube videos. Now that said, I do think that the Model S will be probably P120D by the time M3 comes out, and they will make it slightly faster as well (maybe 2.6 s)
I will still take a low 3 second car. It will be the fastest car almost all of us have ever owned.

If by 'more refined' you mean softened, and quilted, and laced, and embroidered, and pillowed...? No. That ain't gonna happen. The design team has been firm on this. They will NOT be moving to a 'more traditional' interior design scheme -- EVER.

Not that it will look like other cars, but more fit and finish, better materials. They've already dropped piano black from the Model S and added more wood options. I've read many, MANY comments from people who love their Model S, but wish the interior was up to par with similarly priced ICE cars.

I will still take a low 3 second car. It will be the fastest car almost all of us have ever owned.

It will be the quickest for me for sure. The best my Honda Fit can do is supposedly 8.3 seconds, but I guess they had no passengers, no AC, and very little gas in the tank, because I sure don't go that quickly.

...and DEFINITELY compared to my first car, a 1985 Reliant K, that I used to joke could go 0-60.... eventually :D

Not that it will look like other cars, but more fit and finish, better materials. They've already dropped piano black from the Model S and added more wood options. I've read many, MANY comments from people who love their Model S, but wish the interior was up to par with similarly priced ICE cars.

It will be the quickest for me for sure. The best my Honda Fit can do is supposedly 8.3 seconds, but I guess they had no passengers, no AC, and very little gas in the tank, because I sure don't go that quickly.

...and DEFINITELY compared to my first car, a 1985 Reliant K, that I used to joke could go 0-60.... eventually :D

My current car can do it in the low 5's...but I can definitely commiserate/look back and laugh about the first car. I had a 1987 Hyundai Excel...LLLOOONNNGGG before they became a semi-respectable brand. Had a pair of vice grips as my passenger window crank.

If I had a steep downhill and a tailwind, I could do 60....maybe.

We've come a long way since those days.

I have read a few hundred comments of that sort over the past couple of years. And though those guys say these things about 'materials', and how they 'feel'...? When pressed, they always come back to the way the interior of the Model S LOOKS instead. They have spent so much time walking up to expensive 'luxury' cars and seeing the same things over and over and over again, that they have come to expect it, and associate it with a certain price point by default. I learned just over thirty years ago that most 'luxury' manufacturers were just doing their own version of a Rolls-Royce interior, and failing. It astounds me that all these years later, they are still reaching for the same goal and continually falling short. This is why I am not impressed by traditional themes of 'luxury' at all -- they look backward, to the past, to a period where horsedrawn carriages and stagecoaches were the epitome of 'luxury' -- and still attempt to replicate it out of pure habit. I'd rather look toward... 'The FUTURE!'
6c6dbb6e5ffc674b9c28b2197198fadd.jpg

"It belongs in a museum!" -- Indiana Jones

3eeaee843f6d5dddbca3256a180b756f-650-80.jpg

Ah. That's MUCH better!

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectroFroggy
It depends on whether or not Tesla tries to set the bar like Audi and BMW do with their "regular" car lines or their M/RS type car lines.

The quickest "regular" 5 series is the 550i and it has 0-60 times of about 5 seconds. The 340i being smaller/lighter has slightly better 0-60 times... the delta is bigger if comparing AWD versions.

In the case of the M cars which are sort of no-holds-barred performance (and RWD only at this time) BMW makes a point of having the M5 (3.7 seconds) outperform their M3 (3.8 seconds) by just a hair.

I wouldn't be surprised if Musk goes the M route with ludicrous mode on these cars. Someone who dropped $140,000 on a completely tricked out future P100D with ludicrous mode doesn't want a $75,000 Model 3 being faster... even if technically it is extremely feasible.

Reactions: Jaff
R.I.P. Porsche-Ferrari-BMW-ect..

People buy those cars for more than simply flat out acceleration. Have you ever actually driven a Ferrari or Porsche 911? The engine note, direct steering engagement, lightning sharp handling, AND acceleration make them incredibly primal cars to drive. They have very little to be worried about from the Tesla 3 which is an entry level luxury sedan.

Hmmm... 'Primal'. I'll have to add that to the list of trite recycled descriptive marketing terms that will allow high end ICE to survive the next couple of decades before being put out to pasture... Amazing how cars known for blindingly fast acceleration are now so focused on 'more than' that...

Let's see...
HISTORY
TRADITION
LUXURY
CULTURE
EXCLUSIVE
CUSTOM
UNIQUE
ARTISAN
CRAFTED...
PRIMAL

God.

• Funny
Reactions: spottyq
All we know so far is that JB has said that the Model 3 drivetrain has all new technology and 215 miles from a sub-60kWh battery is the first snippet of information which hints as to what that might mean.

Part 2 of the Reveal is going to be very interesting.

My .02 on Ludicrous mode performance --

There's no way Tesla will make the Model 3 faster than either the S or the X, for all the obvious sales/marketing reasons.

So, I think that Ludicrous mode 0-60 will run somewhere between 3.5 - 4.5s. I suspect, if feasible, they'll try break 4s just for marketing/psychological reasons. So, a final guess would be 3.8 or 3.9s. That would keep it under 4s and also comfortably away from the S and X performance.

And, I really hope they can do that for ~$50K.