Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla make the "by the end of January 2015" promise for torque sleep? (P85D)

Will Tesla make the "by the end of January 2015" promise for torque sleep? (P85D)

• Yes, as promised

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • Nope, will be late

Votes: 89 73.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well the result of this poll is pretty sad for Tesla and shows that most expected them to miss their date. :(

With it being Saturday, and ~14 hours left to the end of January (PST) I'm pretty sure they've missed the mark.

Well, my "soon" for the efficiency is probably mid February. For autopilot, June-ish.

For the efficiency issue if it isn't fixed I'm going to just start by harassing service about it. When/if they don't correct it, I'll contact Tesla and advise them that the specifications of my vehicle do not match the monterey sticker (which happens to be a violation of federal law...) and request that this be corrected. If no dice there, I'll get someone like this guy on the case.

For autopilot, basically the same process, but in July probably.

I'm hoping there is no need. But, while I may sound like an a*****e for all of this, I don't like feeling like I got ripped off. That's how I feel at the moment about the efficiency problem, and that's how I'll feel if I have no autopilot this summer. When I get ripped off, I pursue remedies. Simple as that.

You'd really bring that 'lawyer' into this over something that is being addressed by Tesla? Ok.

Saddens me that some on this forum are so angry. You bought a car from a startup company.brand new model. You know that you get updates. Free. Over the air. Maybe it's time to seek a higher power as you are not in control of everything in life. No one is preventing you from selling your vehicle. This lawyering up only distracts a company from actually getting the updates finished. Chill out. You have a great car. Enjoy it. Maybe take a step back and try to realize that torque sleep and autopilot is not crucial to your life. It's coming. They are doing their best. Support them. Encourage them. Don't harass. It will not help you get what you want. Reflect on your life for a moment. And what's important. I'm sure you are gonna flame me for this, but it will only reflect poorly on you as it won't bother me in the least.

There's an important distinction between not releasing completed software and not releasing incomplete software. As with everything else, I'd rather wait for software that works than get software "on time" that doesn't. I think we can assume that the Tesla firmware guys are making a good faith effort to release promised software updates on time, but if they catch any deal breaker bugs then it's their duty to delay release in order to get it right.

You'd really bring that 'lawyer' into this over something that is being addressed by Tesla? Ok.
Of course that Megna-guy is way over the top, but when do we stop just letting Tesla get away with this and actually make them own up to promises and what they have sold?

Facts are simple:

1. Tesla sold a vehicle with sub-par range.
2. They knew about nr1 but didn't say anything to the customers taking delivery of their new cars. Thus they gave the customers no option of backing out of a deal.
3. They only own up to the missing range after numerous complaints and compelling data found by wk057 and others.
4. They give themselves a precise deadline for delivering a fix.
5. They most likely will not make that deadline.

@meltoots your comment is just sad. The 11year old "startup" you are referring to have a market cap of more than 25billion USD and are making thousands of highly expensive cars per week. The user you are bashing is on his households _third_ Model S. "just selling" the car will of course also lead to financial loss. Dont forget that some people actually use their cars for work and missing range and/or added downtime due to charging could actually be quite bad for someone who values their time. That might prove quite crucial in someones worklife at least. Not to count the feeling ripped off part which I personally relate to.

- - - Updated - - -

There's an important distinction between not releasing completed software and not releasing incomplete software. As with everything else, I'd rather wait for software that works than get software "on time" that doesn't. I think we can assume that the Tesla firmware guys are making a good faith effort to release promised software updates on time, but if they catch any deal breaker bugs then it's their duty to delay release in order to get it right.
That is perfectly fine and correct, but Tesla needs to learn that making firm promises actually comes with expectations to follow them up in the real world as well. It was Tesla that set this deadline wholly on their own terms.

The communications department at Tesla is looking more and more like a mickey mouse-organisation to me.

That is perfectly fine and correct, but Tesla needs to learn that making firm promises actually comes with expectations to follow them up in the real world as well. It was Tesla that set this deadline wholly on their own terms.

The communications department at Tesla is looking more and more like a mickey mouse-organisation to me.

Agreed. "... by end of January 2015" was an unusually specific statement, not really consistent with the estimates for other upcoming software updates which use phrases like "coming months". So either the torque sleep update is just a couple days late and everyone will forget about the delay, or they'll never again give specific month promises.

Agreed. "... by end of January 2015" was an unusually specific statement, not really consistent with the estimates for other upcoming software updates which use phrases like "coming months". So either the torque sleep update is just a couple days late and everyone will forget about the delay, or they'll never again give specific month promises.

They have done this before when announcing that the 6.0 firmware was going to be released in February of last year and it didn't start rolling out until September for what ever reason. So giving specific dates and missing them is nothing new or out of the ordinary for Tesla.

Saddens me that some on this forum are so angry. You bought a car from a startup company.brand new model. You know that you get updates. Free. Over the air. Maybe it's time to seek a higher power as you are not in control of everything in life. No one is preventing you from selling your vehicle. This lawyering up only distracts a company from actually getting the updates finished. Chill out. You have a great car. Enjoy it. Maybe take a step back and try to realize that torque sleep and autopilot is not crucial to your life. It's coming. They are doing their best. Support them. Encourage them. Don't harass. It will not help you get what you want. Reflect on your life for a moment. And what's important. I'm sure you are gonna flame me for this, but it will only reflect poorly on you as it won't bother me in the least.

I agree with you statement. IT is a great car and a great car company. They bend backwards for you, IMO, it is the best car in the world. The service is beyond expectations. I know so, i have an ice vehicle and I expectations is so much lower when it come to the service i receive. VW doesn't offer any GPS updates.. , well at 500$ cost, No thanks. I get my Touareg in and they charge me 25dollars a day for a rental while my SUV is in the shop! Don't forget i have to deal with overpriced oil changes!

I agree with you statement. IT is a great car and a great car company. They bend backwards for you, IMO, it is the best car in the world. The service is beyond expectations. I know so, i have an ice vehicle and I expectations is so much lower when it come to the service i receive. VW doesn't offer any GPS updates.. , well at 500$ cost, No thanks. I get my Touareg in and they charge me 25dollars a day for a rental while my SUV is in the shop! Don't forget i have to deal with overpriced oil changes!

This has been my experience as well. Let's face it, when you purchase any hi-tech item, you should only by based on the features that are shipping when you take delivery. Spend a bit of time on an audio/video equipment forum and you'll find lots of folks who bought based on future features that were never actually delivered. Tesla, so far, has delivered the features--just not as soon as they said they would. That's far better than never. And they have always "made it right", albeit sometimes they have needed a bit of prodding.

In addition, buying version one is almost certain to have some issues (The D is version one of the dual motor Model S). If this makes you uncomfortable, wait six months to a year. If it doesn't, then go for it because you'll not regret having the use while others are waiting. There's no right or wrong either way--it's what you are comfortable with.

Bottom line is that the Model S is a car and not a panacea. It's going to have things you don't like about it--just as in any car. However, it's still arguably the best car you can currently purchase.

Will Tesla make the "by the end of January 2015" promise for torque sleep? (P...

I disagree partly, because Tesla is no longer a startup. The Roadster days have been over for some years now, and Model S is sold as a car that can functionally replace most ICE cars today.

First let me say I don't believe in harassment or being impolite, because that generally leads to no resolution.

However, people bought their P85Ds based on a specific, advertised range that Tesla said would be substantially similar or better than existing P85s. The Marooney stickers listening MPGe on the P85D explicitly confirm a higher highway MPGe. There was NO advanced warning about the incomplete software and its effects on long range travel. I support the mission of Tesla but I can't give them a pass on this one. The company had an ethical obligation to be honest about this issue with customers.

This has been my experience as well. Let's face it, when you purchase any hi-tech item, you should only by based on the features that are shipping when you take delivery.

In addition, buying version one is almost certain to have some issues (The D is version one of the dual motor Model S). If this makes you uncomfortable, wait six months to a year.

Again, there was NO advanced warning. Based on available information, people expected similar highway range to the P85.

Would people be happy if Apple had advertised iPhone 6+ with a 1920x1080 display, but failed to tell people until after launch day that the device would only use 1160x640 pixels until iOS got a software update at some point in the future? You can bet a fleet of Model S that the MacRumors faithful would be marching on Cupertino and demanding TIM Cook's resignation.

What Tesla should have done is been upfront about the range issue from day 1 of deliveries.

Tesla is 12 years old company with market cap 25 billion and 10 000 employees. I wouldn't call it start up. Nowhere in the Tesla Motors site can be found a disclaimer "we are a start up company. We don't always deliver what we promised".

Last edited:
While I would never consider legal action (and would not suggest/support anyone else engaging in it) I also feel that giving TM a total 'pass' and asking everyone to just 'chill' is not right either. I was at the 'D' event and have watched the video of it over at the TM forum several times. It is clearly stated that the P85D, while having more weight would greater range than the P85. Not sometime in the future but now. Several people purchased it based on the thought that they would have a faster 0-60 time, higher top speed, and longer range. The original OP has every right to be frustrated that after his own extensive testing that his P85D has 15%+ less range than his P85. Hearing everyone's frustration, TM came out with a timeline to remedy this discrepancy by being able to torque vector the motors thereby increasing overall efficiency and range. TM may still make that timeline but I doubt it.

I voted 'yes' in the poll when it was first posted. I agree with the sentiment that TM has sublime service and the car is constantly improving by firmware updates. I, like many here, have invested heavily in the cars and the stock of this company. If I personally never see a single mile of range increase in my vehicles I am OK with that as my driving is within 30-40 miles of my home 99% of the time. However, I believe the OP, and people of like minds, have every reason to be frustrated with TM.