Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla make the "by the end of January 2015" promise for torque sleep? (P85D)

Will Tesla make the "by the end of January 2015" promise for torque sleep? (P85D)

• Yes, as promised

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • Nope, will be late

Votes: 89 73.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Under-Promise1-300x248.jpg

I guess Tesla is still in that phase of a business where it is so overwhelmed with so many tasks that it inevitably falls behind on everything. Torque sleep will arrive eventually, but I can imagine it's really frustrating for owners who bought a car with a certain list of features, many of which have not been implemented yet.

I guess Tesla is still in that phase of a business where it is so overwhelmed with so many tasks that it inevitably falls behind on everything. Torque sleep will arrive eventually, but I can imagine it's really frustrating for owners who bought a car with a certain list of features, many of which have not been implemented yet.

Yep, not the least of which is the feature that gets you the advertised range... :)

Did JB catch that disease from Elon? He is the one who promised end of January.

After a while it becomes company culture. Tesla is probably right not to release things before they are ready but constantly being late with things isn't a good reputation to have either. Folks on TMC tend to be big fans of Tesla but according to the poll 70% think Tesla will not deliver the software within the promised timeframe.

Of course there's still two days to go on this deadline....

I voted with the optimists, mainly because I have a trip this weekend that requires L2 charging and there's snow in the forecast. I want to take the P85D for its stellar performance in snow, but want the range of the S85 to minimize charging time, and to make it more likely that snowy roads won't cause us to flatline the traction pack short of the next charging station; where we're going there are few options for charging, and no Superchargers. Torque sleep would make the decision for me, in favor of the P85D.

I know: first world problems. :biggrin:

I haven't taken the P85D out of range of my home charger since I drove it down I-95 after delivery because of this issue, which is unfortunate, especially since on the last trip AWD would have come in handy. We've used the P85 on a couple of supercharger trips instead.

Won't arrive 2015. When Tesla says "several months", that means over a year.

Yep, if that's the case I will pursue legal remedies as well as likely no longer be a Model S owner. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Considering autopilot was a huge reason for my jump to the P85D (taking a decent hit on the P85 trade in the process), not having autopilot available soon is not going to be acceptable.

To go from TACC to Autopilot isn't that much of a jump. All they need to do is add steering control, and I would guess in many ways that's an easier problem than making TACC work well. They're probably waiting to get some more real world data on TACC, and tweak it a bit, and then they'll release steering control.

TACC is part of Autopilot (and a few other things added in 6.1). So it's not like they haven't delivered anything. So far they're almost exactly on the schedule that I anticipated. The only thing I expected them to already have out that they haven't was blind spot notifications.

Yep, if that's the case I will pursue legal remedies as well as likely no longer be a Model S owner. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Considering autopilot was a huge reason for my jump to the P85D (taking a decent hit on the P85 trade in the process), not having autopilot available soon is not going to be acceptable.

I hope it doesn't come to that! I, and many others here, benefit a lot from your contributions on this forum. Please don't let your frustration level get out of control. The bleeding edge is a tough place to be, sometimes.

I hope it doesn't come to that! I, and many others here, benefit a lot from your contributions on this forum. Please don't let your frustration level get out of control. The bleeding edge is a tough place to be, sometimes.

Well, it is just the principal behind paying for a product and not actually receiving that product. In this case both the advertised enhanced efficiency of the dual motor setup and the autopilot software. The former is somewhat inexcusable as they should have had this done before advertising the claimed efficiency. The latter was noted as "several months" away, so I'm willing to give them that time to complete autopilot before I just eventually have to logically declare that I've become a victim of false advertising and take action appropriately.

Releasing the torque sleep update within the time frame they specified (end of January) will go a long way to restoring some faith here.

57 hours left.

Well, it is just the principal behind paying for a product and not actually receiving that product. In this case both the advertised enhanced efficiency of the dual motor setup and the autopilot software. The former is somewhat inexcusable as they should have had this done before advertising the claimed efficiency. The latter was noted as "several months" away, so I'm willing to give them that time to complete autopilot before I just eventually have to logically declare that I've become a victim of false advertising and take action appropriately.

Releasing the torque sleep update within the time frame they specified (end of January) will go a long way to restoring some faith here.

57 hours left.

Just a legitimate curious question (not trying be a 'wide guy'): If some P85D owners get the upgrade but you and I do not will that be satisfactory?

Just a legitimate curious question (not trying be a 'wise guy'): If some P85D owners get the upgrade but you and I do not will that be satisfactory?

Pushing the update to a handful of cars by then doesn't count either.

It will be nice to see that the update is actually happening, and once I actually do get it at least that will be out of the way. However, in that case Tesla still would have missed their promised deadline regardless, and thus not really have restored my faith in there ability to keep up with such promises (ie autopilot).

It will be nice to see that the update is actually happening, and once I actually do get it at least that will be out of the way. However, in that case Tesla still would have missed their promised deadline regardless, and thus not really have restored my faith in there ability to keep up with such promises (ie autopilot).

Just reread my post: I may be a 'wide guy' but hopefully not a 'wise guy'!

We have both had our 'Ds' over a month now. from reading your posts I certainly do less driving than you. My experience is the 'D' uses about 15% more energy than the P85+.

We have both had our 'Ds' over a month now. from reading your posts I certainly do less driving than you. My experience is the 'D' uses about 15% more energy than the P85+.

That's about what my side-by-side test showed vs the P85. However, it seems the energy usage difference gets more exaggerated at keep-up-with-traffic speeds on the interstate (75-80 MPH).

As for less driving, I'm about to hit the 2000 mile mark on the P85D... and it's been a light driving month. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

I know you disagree but I don't think Tesla promised any timeline on Autopilot. Several months is basically open ended. I think you'd be hard pressed to make much progress on arguing they aren't meeting such a vague timeline when they have shipped 6.1 with TACC already.

But as far as I'm concerned they've almost certainly already missed the end of January promise. My bet is that they'll have torque sleep out sometime in the first two weeks of February. This is based on what I'm seeing with the S85D orders. My S85D order began production on January 17th and was pulled off the line and is sitting as a painted body waiting on something that is vaguely described as them being sure to provide the best car possible. I've been told I'll resume production in the first 2 weeks of February and other S85D orders are being told their production will begin around that same timeframe. If I assume that the problem is the torque sleep software and the P85D and S85D versions will be available simultaneously then I'd expect them to have the software ready right as they start production so the cars can be shipped with that version shipped from the factory.

I have a lot more understanding of your frustration with them missing that deadline because they gave a clear deadline. That said if things play out like I'm guessing I wouldn't sweat an extra two weeks too much.