Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Elon give Autopilot free for 2018 or early 2019 buyers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reminds me of "lifetime free service" for Tivo on set top boxes. Occasionally they would let you transfer it to a newer box, but mostly if the box died, your lifetime service premium died with it too. It is lifetime of the hardware, not lifetime of you. One reason to do "month to month" if you plan to upgrade frequently. I have bought many Tivo lifetime service plans for different boxes over the years.

When Tesla offers FSD as a "pay as you go" type service instead of one time fee, then you can decide if you expect to keep your car long enough to buy it.

It makes sense to me that it would stay with the car if you sold it, and you would need to buy again for a new vehicle.

*BUT* it would be really nice if Tesla were willing to make exceptions for totaled vehicles if you replace it with the same model again. Seems like that would be "fair", but not an obligation.

Reactions: FlatSix911
*BUT* it would be really nice if Tesla were willing to make exceptions for totaled vehicles if you replace it with the same model again. Seems like that would be "fair", but not an obligation.

Yep. But they main thing this would do is help keep insurance price down. Because insurance should cover the FSD on a totaled Tesla if Tesla doesn't allow it to be transferred.

Only if you buy FSD after you start the lease. If you include FSD in the lease you aren't paying the full $7k over the life of the lease.
OK. But still you have to pay every time.
$2000 performance upgrade which is only available after you take delivery of LR AWD may be a better example.
I would have to pay $2000 after each lease of LR AWD unless they include it like AP in the future.

They should also give a single free transfer everyone who paid for FSD in 2016 and 2017, at the minimum. I'd say everyone before 1 March 2019, personally, but the real early adopters got absolutely screwed.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Reminds me of "lifetime free service" for Tivo on set top boxes. Occasionally they would let you transfer it to a newer box, but mostly if the box died, your lifetime service premium died with it too. It is lifetime of the hardware, not lifetime of you. One reason to do "month to month" if you plan to upgrade frequently. I have bought many Tivo lifetime service plans for different boxes over the years.

When Tesla offers FSD as a "pay as you go" type service instead of one time fee, then you can decide if you expect to keep your car long enough to buy it.

It makes sense to me that it would stay with the car if you sold it, and you would need to buy again for a new vehicle.

lifetime free service agreement is not a software.

FSD is like an App on an iPhone.

Tesla could easily make it like an App and downloadable to the vehicle you newly purchase.
And make it pay per use or monthly/yearly subscription.

But keeping it at $7000 will be a very difficult commitment for most people who don't keep the same car for more than 4-5 years at most.
The national average age of a modern vehicle is 11.4 years, while the average length of time drivers keep a new vehicle is 71.4 months.

Are you able to post these terms? I will check the manual. I don’t think Tesla makes anyone aware about these terms.

Fred

Actually, looked again. it doesn’t even say it is software update. It just says it’s a feature you can add to the car at purchase time. There is no reason to suspect during the purchase process (IMHO) that it should be "forever".

Regarding value of FSD during a short term purchase/lease, I agree, it's not a very good deal. But, at some point (if) when it is functional, it will actually increase the value of the car (in theory) at resale time. Until then, it's pretty much money tossed out the window.

You’re right, took the model 3 for a ride and there it was, had to park again and turn in Auto Steer, did great following other cars while maintaining in its lane, even stopped behind the car in front of me at the light.

PRETTY COOL.

Fred

You’re right, took the model 3 for a ride and there it was, had to park again and turn in Auto Steer, did great following other cars while maintaining in its lane, even stopped behind the car in front of me at the light.

PRETTY COOL.

Fred
Probably doesn't need to be said - I believe you have been reading and informing yourself around here for a long time. Do be sure to watch it like a hawk! If you're not sure if it will do the right thing (turn, stop, etc) intervene first and ask questions later.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Probably doesn't need to be said - I believe you have been reading and informing yourself around here for a long time. Do be sure to watch it like a hawk! If you're not sure if it will do the right thing (turn, stop, etc) intervene first and ask questions later.
Always aware for sure, been practicing AP with the Model Y. Thanks

Fred

Last edited:
My car is 2.5 with EAP
If I were to purchase FSD to try it out, do I get upgrade to HW3.0 and still able to change my mind after? Anyone has done it?

No, you will not be able to purchase FSD, get HW3.0 and then return FSD. the return period is 24 or 48 hours and I am extremely confident no service center would do a HW3.0 upgrade with an FSD purchase during the return period.

The service center has to verify that your car is eligible for the part, and I doubt it will even show up until your FSD purchase is finalized.