Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will a PGE customer explain the rate plan options to a new resident?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. New Californian here, Fresno area. Coming from Virginia where off-peak energy rate are like $0.10/kw. My wife and I are renting an average 2000sqft house, with a pool, no solar, and no battery storage. We haven't seen our first electric bill, but I'm curious to hear what rate plans people use for charging their cars. We have a single Model 3 LR that will be driven about 30 miles per weekday and 100+ miles on weekends. Otherwise our energy use will be pretty average.

PGE offered us:
Time-of-Use (Peak Pricing 4-9 p.m. Every Day) E-TOU-C
Time-of-Use (Peak Pricing 5-8 p.m. Weekdays) E-TOU-D
Tiered Rate Plan E-1
Home Charging EV2-A

Ultimately, I'm curious if the Home Charging EV2-A plan is a no brainer or since I don't take advantage of solar/battery storage it's not really much a price savings.

Thanks for the advice!

Welcome, I’m just up the road from you. Also, my condolences, adjusting to PG&E’s insane rates, particularly when summer comes around, is going to be quite the shock (pun intended).

At the amount you’re driving, you’re probably right at the point where EV2-A starts to make sense and the “low” overnight rate will compensate for the very high peak rate. If you can further shift your demand and be judicious about not using unnecessary energy from 4-9, EV2-A is probably the way to go.

If I were you I’d probably start there and see how it goes for the next ~6 months. Once PGE has some usage data for you their online rate plan selector will show you which plan is the most economical. I’d re-evaluate in May or June before summer really kicks in and the AC bills start coming due.

Anyway. Welcome to California. :)

I'm with SDG&E in San DIego. I'm on the TOU-5 plan. My super off peak rates are between 9-11 cents per kW, depending on season. If those rates begin to hike then it'll be time for Solar

This is interesting but:

1) Not relevant to OP in Fresno

2) Not really an accurate representation of costs as the TOU-5 plan has a $16/mo subscription fee