Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the charge port in the back instead of the front?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want to feel angst, try being a new operator on shift & female to boot - and all the guys standing there watching as you back your equipment in.

Silly prejudice about women drivers; makes me think of the famous line by Bob Thaves about the much acclaimed Fred Astaire, "Sure he was great, but Ginger Rogers did everything he did…backwards and in high heels."

Silly prejudice about women drivers; makes me think of the famous line by Bob Thaves about the much acclaimed Fred Astaire, "Sure he was great, but Ginger Rogers did everything he did…backwards and in high heels."

Agree. Eventually I was the lead operator, which meant every new hire had to ride with me for a couple of days on whatever equipment they were qualifying on, until I signed off. Most thought it was some type of hazing. Some were flat-out angry at having a woman sign off on their skills. They were so cute, especially when they realized they weren't getting any sympathy from the rest of the crew. :)

(I have stories.)

One of my rides (bet my Roadster wouldn't even show up next to that!):

Billie Mine.JPG

Other rides: D9, paddle-wheel scraper, blade, front end loader - the Letourneau had regenerative braking! :)

Is that it, wedged between the dual wheels? :)

Nope, no regen on the end dump. The LeTourneau diesel front end loader was a thing of beauty (sure you can google on that and get a pic). Four wheel motors, regen - ours had a bucket that could scoop up 50 tons of dirt (which was the capacity of the end dump in that pic). That's a LOT of material hitting a truck bed all at once. It was the first time I experienced one-pedal driving.

I have seen the ease with which Leaf and Volts, pull in, plug in and go effortlessly and the whole thing is so unobtrusive.

Ha! On my Leaf it is drive in, pull the lever under the dash (just like as if opening the hood of a car) then you have to physically open the door to charger, then you have to physically open the cap to the port. That's all before you can even plug it in. Then with it being right at the front, we can't pull into the carport too far or we have no room to comfortably get to it.

With my Tesla it's pull in, grab my cable, push the button, plug in. There's just no comparison as to the effort involved.

As to the location, the Tesla location is perfect. I can drive into my garage and my cable hangs right down by the port. Easy as pie. On the road, I always back into parking spaces, so easy there too. Thankfully Tesla does not go by "lowest common denominator" when it comes to people who can't back in, or like GM who lock out my navigation controls when my vehicle moves.

I never understood the angst over this until I was the passenger in a car and realized the driver really wasn't very competent at backing his car between two white lines (seriously!).

LOL. Add a trailer to the mix for some real fun. I spent a lot of time towing and launching boats, hauling a 12' box trailer and such, and got very good at backing up with them. Most fun I ever had watching someone backing up was a buddy chasing his boat all over the parking lot trying to line it up with the launching ramp!

- - - Updated - - -

That's rather silly as even Ford and GM cars can't be driving if they are plugged in :)

For sure, but I guess the idea was to avoid having someone get into the car, try to drive and have to get out again to unplug because they "forgot" and didn't see the cable. Probably a case of overthinking it in an ICE paradigm, but that was the rationale as explained to me.

I've wondered about this myself. Personally, I think Tesla went with what is most familiar to drivers and most ICEs have it on the driver side (definitely a not-small number have it on passenger side though). But I've seen Volts around town parked on the street with the charger cord going across and sticking into the street. I always wonder why Chevy and Tesla didn't put the charger on the passenger side so it would face the curb when on the street.
or even put 2 charge ports. Heck, even if a passenger side one ISNT capable of DC Fast Charging, just being able to 240v it on a public station for curb side charging (Getting popular!!!) would be awesome! So many times.... Drape that cord around the back or even under the car for it to reach because of driver side charge port for on curb side charging...

or even put 2 charge ports. Heck, even if a passenger side one ISNT capable of DC Fast Charging, just being able to 240v it on a public station for curb side charging (Getting popular!!!) would be awesome! So many times.... Drape that cord around the back or even under the car for it to reach because of driver side charge port for on curb side charging...

I guess that's what Mitsubishi was thinking with the iMiEV when they put the CHAdeMO port on the left side and the Level1/Level2 port on the right side. That's great for many countries but I wonder if it is reversed in Japan.

LOL. Add a trailer to the mix for some real fun. I spent a lot of time towing and launching boats, hauling a 12' box trailer and such, and got very good at backing up with them. Most fun I ever had watching someone backing up was a buddy chasing his boat all over the parking lot trying to line it up with the launching ramp!

What is really fun is backing a double trailer, a trailer behind a trailer.

This happens in a virtual sense when you have a 4-wheel trailer where the tongue steers the front wheels, or a tow bar on the front wheel of an airplane and you use your tow hitch to back the airplane into the hangar. If backing a trailer is analogous to balancing a broom in your hand, then backing a double trailer is analogous to balancing a broom on top of a broom. It's a real challenge, and took me many tries before I sort of mastered backing a double trailer.

Backing a Model S with the guide lines in the backup camera is really pretty simple...

I just saw a Mercedes A class EV for the first time today. They used the standard tank door to put the charge plug behind it which is on the left back (just like the Tesla). Since it's just a converted ICE vehicle I'm pretty sure Mercedes decided to use that location as it's familiar and the door is already designed and working in the car. No need to design a new one.

I spent a lot of time towing and launching boats, hauling a 12' box trailer and such, and got very good at backing up with them. Most fun I ever had watching someone backing up was a buddy chasing his boat all over the parking lot trying to line it up with the launching ramp!

Well, it would be fun for others to watch me attempt to do something like that. Not. Gonna. Happen.
One of my (minor) goals in life is to never provide the amusement at a boat ramp...

What is really fun is backing a double trailer, a trailer behind a trailer.

This happens in a virtual sense when you have a 4-wheel trailer where the tongue steers the front wheels, or a tow bar on the front wheel of an airplane and you use your tow hitch to back the airplane into the hangar. If backing a trailer is analogous to balancing a broom in your hand, then backing a double trailer is analogous to balancing a broom on top of a broom. It's a real challenge, and took me many tries before I sort of mastered backing a double trailer.

Backing a Model S with the guide lines in the backup camera is really pretty simple...
I never found dual-axle trailers that different. Not so much that I need to think about it, anyway. The hitch/towbar/airplane idea? I'm with Bonnie. Not trying that one. The mistakes are way to pricey!

My last few ICE cars have had the fuel door on the passenger side. I once heard this was by design so that if you ever had to pour gas into the car from a can at the side of the road, you wouldn't be standing on the side with traffic whizzing by. I have no idea if that's true, but I always remembered it and thought it made sense.

Ford and GM claimed that having the charge port on the front driver's side fender was so that the driver would see it getting in to the car and not forget to unplug.

You'll see the European cars with the gas door on the passenger side because there are a number of gas stations that are just "on the curb", so to speak, so you pull up and fill. And you don't have to go stand on the street to do it. Can doesn't really enter the picture in that scenario. American cars, on the other hand, with the gas stations the way they usually are, makes sense to have it on the driver side, less walking, or if full serve, less shouting.

I don't know if there is rhyme or reason for a different location that's technical, probably a different one on each car, I'm just glad Tesla put it where it is; no metal cutouts, just hiding in plain sight. Like when sliding door minivans put that rail just under the window instead of smack in the middle of the panel...

I guess that's what Mitsubishi was thinking with the iMiEV when they put the CHAdeMO port on the left side and the Level1/Level2 port on the right side. That's great for many countries but I wonder if it is reversed in Japan.

Same in Japan. CHAdeMO on the left, AC on the right. We sit on the right, and drive on the left, so CHAdeMO port is close to curbside. Actually half of public chargers here are CHAdeMOs so this works out OK.

However Outlander PHEV has AC and CHAdeMO on the right side (driver's side).

One reason is that the chargers are located under the rear seat so there is a shorter cable run.

I dislike to "nose in" park. The chances of you hitting something when backing out are far greater than if you back in because your visibility is far less than when you back in and pull out.
I'm somewhat curious why you'd need to use a public charger in your hometown (I assume you live in the area).

I have been parking "nose in" most of my life. You are right in that it is more difficult to see who's coming as you start to back.

But I have started using the rear view camera, I mean, actually watching IT instead of all the mirrors and neck craning to try to see around the Suburban and MDXs next to me. Unlike a backed in driver sitting 5 feet from the front of the vehicle trying to see, the rear view cam has an almost 180 degree view sitting at the extreme rear of the car, and you can see the parking lot racers coming at you quite well. You can also notice the car behind you who is backing out with his reverse lights on. The more I use it, the easier it is. And I think it's safer.

roblab;1025605But I have started using the rear view camera said:
I have to admit that, while it took me a while to get used to it, I now am very familiar and confident with the rear view camera and I can back into anything very quickly now. Especially when they added the lines that's when I started to really like it.