Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the charge port in the back instead of the front?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a great design constraint that promotes safe behavior. Backing is in safer because you have eyes on the space you're moving into before you move into it. When you back out of a parking stall into the traffic aisle, you have no such ability to get a very recent (within the last 10 seconds) preview of your space. Here is the number one myth/false-choice:

Backing in is harder and I'm more likely to hit something. I agree, backing is always more risky and difficult than driving forward. We as humans have eyes up front and our entire body configuration is meant to interact with objects in front of us. For example, try writing behind your back ... not so easy. But because it is harder and you're more likely to back into something, all you have to choose is the following:

Would you rather back into:

(1) A parking stall where you've just previewed with your eyes where there is little to no chance of entry of a vehicle, pedestrian, or other inconvenient object like a shopping car that will scratch your pretty Model S; or

(2) A traffic aisle where you cannot really see around the corners of adjacent cars to see moving vehicles, pedestrians, or other objects moving into your path of travel?

Your chances of hitting stationary objects are the same in both as is the skill required to back ... but the second condition has a lot more variables that are outside of your control. I back in because of safety. I also don't want my car to get hit by someone driving with a cell phone in hand in the parking lot. :)

- K

A lot of speculation here. Next time someone has a chance to ask Elon a question, maybe consider asking this one. Why is the charge port where it is, and are they considering other locations for it in the future? I've watched endless hours of Elon interviews, and this question has never been asked. You get the same tired questions 50,000 times, and it would be nice to hit on something new and relevant. I think this qualifies.

Here in europe most parking places are very narrow one way routes and also angled for front in parking. So instead of a three seconds front in parking a backing parking would take minutes if even possible. Additionally here it is very cold in winter so most people has been plugging in their cars since the 70’s to heat the engine which 99% is in the front and that is also a reason for the parking design, so here you can already charge your car anywhere… in an outlet near the front. We have been more concerned why they even cant make it standard to plug in in the middle of the front as the outlet is to the left or right every even/odd place.

Reactions: Electroman