Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I want SAS on my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

T34ME

Mar 31, 2016
Inland Empire
There have been several posts about the pros and cons of SAS (Smart Air Suspension). I fully understand and respect that some people feel that SAS does not improve the ride to any appreciable extent. I understand that SAS will probably not improve performance under most conditions. I understand that some people feel that SAS is a poor value compared to a symphonic sound system or other options. I understand and I respect their opinions and choices but those issues are not important to me.

This is why I will select the SAS option if it is offered ( I realize it will not be offered in the short term and perhaps not even in the long term).
1. I live in a community with weird standards for driveway approaches and ramps. It is difficult to get into your driveway without scraping the front and rear overhangs on the car unless it is a jacked up SUV. It is not just me, it is my neighbors too. It would be nice to have SAS with GPS memory to get us over the hump, automatically.
2. I am definitely older than the average Model 3 demographic. Getting these tired old bones in and out of a car gets to be more difficult every year. SAS would allow the car to automatically raise to its highest level upon shut down. That would make it vastly easier for us to get in and out.

I have no expectation that SAS will be offered on the Model 3. So I could go aftermarket and install an airbag system. But the cost would be $4000+ in my area and it would clutter the interior with a lot of switches. More important aftermarket does not offer GPS memory at this time. So I will have decisions to make in about two months. I will voluntarily move down the list if I have a reasonable expectation of an SAS option in the future even if it is packaged with a Performance configuration (which I have no need for) for more money I really I don't need to spend. I want SAS that bad!

the way I understand it, SAS actually lowers your ride height when you drive, reverts it based on gps if necessary when you pull into driveways. not having SAS leaves you with a car that is higher so you do not scrape weirdly angled driveways anyways to start with. the auto adjusting SAS was added to resolve the issue that having SAS created.

• Informative
Reactions: robby
the way I understand it, SAS actually lowers your ride height when you drive, reverts it based on gps if necessary when you pull into driveways. not having SAS leaves you with a car that is higher so you do not scrape weirdly angled driveways anyways to start with. the auto adjusting SAS was added to resolve the issue that having SAS created.
SAS will lower and also raise the suspension height. That is one of the main selling points for SAS is to improve clearance for driveways, etc. Yes, it will lower (if you chose to) at highway speeds to improve aerodynamic efficiencies.

This is the exact wording from the website:
"Experience superior handling, efficiency, and ride comfort. Adjust the height of your Model S. Smart Air Suspension also utilizes the GPS of your car to recognize the location of past adjustments to suspension height and automatically updates when you revisit specific locations, such as a steep driveway."

And here is the actual in-car setting page:
Screen-Shot-2014-05-24-at-2.28.11-PM.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: T34ME
SAS will lower and also raise the suspension height. That is one of the main selling points for SAS is to improve clearance for driveways, etc. Yes, it will lower (if you chose to) at highway speeds to improve aerodynamic efficiencies.

This is the exact wording from the website:
"Experience superior handling, efficiency, and ride comfort. Adjust the height of your Model S. Smart Air Suspension also utilizes the GPS of your car to recognize the location of past adjustments to suspension height and automatically updates when you revisit specific locations, such as a steep driveway."

And here is the actual in-car setting page:
Screen-Shot-2014-05-24-at-2.28.11-PM.jpg

Appreciate the screenshots, it really clarifies the function.
What I was trying to clarify was that if you don't have SAS, you probably don't have the height problems it creates as a result of riding it in "low".
of course, if "normal" is too low for you, the "high" and 'Very high" options should help.

The assumption is that a car without SAS runs "normal"

This is entirely speculation, but I highly doubt SAS will be available on the Model 3. For all the talk of artificially hindering the Model 3, this just seems like something that would save a lot of time/money not to mess with and steer customers who really care about it towards the Model S.

Reactions: Runt8
Appreciate the screenshots, it really clarifies the function.
What I was trying to clarify was that if you don't have SAS, you probably don't have the height problems it creates as a result of riding it in "low".
of course, if "normal" is too low for you, the "high" and 'Very high" options should help.

Hopefully someone with SAS will chime in, but I don't believe you can drive around continuously in High or Very High, and driving in Low is done automatically by the car and determined by a speed setting (not sure how low the speed setting can be set to).

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your comments; they are most helpful. Keep them coming.

What else is drawing you to the M3? Would a used Model S meet your needs if you could find it in a similar price range? Or is fully autonomous something you're looking for?
I am not trying to "anti-sell" the M3...
Fair question. I don't want a CPO (I can't live with the nosecone), I don't want to spend $100K to get an MS with SAS, an MS would take up too much room in my garage, an MS is more difficult to park, and a $100K car is not the image I personally want to project to the world. Despite what Elon says,a Model 3 is a far better car for me and my needs than an MS.

Might be cheaper to redo the concrete in front of your driveway to be a smooth ramp instead of a bump. My parents were able to do that for under $2000.
Didn't want get into TMI, but the driveway ramp serves 5 homes and would be much more expensive than $2K. This is a gated community and the developer, HOA, and city will not approve variances from their driveway standards. Yes, I know I can move, but I am happy here. I have customized my home to be the residential equivalent of a Tesla.

Zman, this is most helpful and exactly the system I am looking for.

This is entirely speculation, but I highly doubt SAS will be available on the Model 3. For all the talk of artificially hindering the Model 3, this just seems like something that would save a lot of time/money not to mess with and steer customers who really care about it towards the Model S.
Yes, I agree and that is why I prefaced my remarks with that caveat. But if you look at the Model3tracker, about 35% of reservationists want SAS. I realize that Model3tracker represent less than 3% of reservation holders but it is still a significant sampling.

Hopefully someone with SAS will chime in, but I don't believe you can drive around continuously in High or Very High, and driving in Low is done automatically by the car and determined by a speed setting (not sure how low the speed setting can be set to).
Most of the time, I would drive the car in "normal" mode. I just want the ability to either raise or lower the car in particular locations to avoid scraping and ease of entry and exit of passengers.

Reactions: ikjadoon
SAS would allow the car to automatically raise to its highest level upon shut down.

The Model S currently does not have such a function (unless you are parked in a GPS location for Very High). So at work and in my driveway, sure, I'm at High or Very High (respectively). But at random places, I have to manually select Very High if I want it.

SAS at "Normal" is lower that coils from the factory. SAS at "High" is higher than coils from the factory.

Correct. GPS memory is for High and Very high, not Low. Low will engage at whatever customizeable-speed you use in the settings. Very High lowers to High at 18 mph. High lowers to Normal at 35 mph.

There have been several posts about the pros and cons of SAS (Smart Air Suspension). I fully understand and respect that some people feel that SAS does not improve the ride to any appreciable extent. I understand that SAS will probably not improve performance under most conditions. I understand that some people feel that SAS is a poor value compared to a symphonic sound system or other options. I understand and I respect their opinions and choices but those issues are not important to me.

I live in a town with TERRIBLE roads, and my fiance has a bad back, but I still have no interest in SAS. There's already enough delicate high tech wizardry in these cars and SAS is going to be an expensive repair when it breaks. That's WHEN, not IF.

Like the OP I'm hoping SAS is included, at least in time for RHD deliveries to the far side of the planet, when mine will become orderable.
Our house has not just a roll-up-curb in place of a ramp on the road gutter, but also is so steep that at the garage a standard height car will scrape. The first problem you can get around by carefully taking it slow on the right angle, but the second is more challenging.

I'll definitely need to test drive the M3 to our place to make sure it can get in the house without getting beached at the top of the driveway if SAS isn't on the cards once the final announcement is made.

The 3 being a less complicated car, I don't think SAS will be offered. As far as I know, the competition in this segment doesn't have this option either. Not unless you go way up to their top trim level, in which case the car stops being simple, and right into complicated.
I wasn't aware so many people had unpleasant driveways to their homes?

If its offered, I wouldn't be opting for it. I plan to keep this car for awhile. The last thing I need is another system failing after the first 3-4yrs. I prefer having conventional springs/shocks. Gives me the ability to change them out if I want the car to be more sporty. :)

Reactions: slipnslider
Does anyone know for sure what the reliability of SAS on the MS is? Does Tesla publish any service statistics?

They do not publish such things. For comparison, look at any other Air Suspension on other cars if you can find data since the system is, more or less, mechanically the same. Anecdotally, these are fairly well known for failure on many car makes (certainly compared to a traditional suspension!)

We have the Air Suspension due to a very steep driveway with an awkward angle from the street, without it we would always scrape the front and rear of the car on entry. We're in year 5 of ownership and we did have a repair to the suspension in year 4 under warranty (small leak in one of the air lines, Tesla also replaced the compressor just in case since the leak caused that to work extra hard/long trying to raise the car for some unknown period of time prior to the complete failure of the air line.)

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
For comparison, look at any other Air Suspension on other cars if you can find data since the system is, more or less, mechanically the same. Anecdotally, these are fairly well known for failure on many car makes (certainly compared to a traditional suspension!)

We have the Air Suspension due to a very steep driveway with an awkward angle from the street, without it we would always scrape the front and rear of the car on entry. We're in year 5 of ownership and we did have a repair to the suspension in year 4 under warranty (small leak in one of the air lines, Tesla also replaced the compressor just in case since the leak caused that to work extra hard/long trying to raise the car for some unknown period of time prior to the complete failure of the air line.)

Thank you for your first hand experience. Some posters complain about air suspension but they are often people who don't own a MS/X with SAS or any other car with air suspension. It is good that those with the system offer an opinion too.

I have researched the topic of SAS on the Tesla forums. In general, owners seem to be very happy with the system and would order it again. On one recent survey, no problems were reported with SAS, but obviously problems can and do occur. The question is how much of a problem is SAS? Here is a sampling of some recent posts with regards to SAS:

Zero problems in over 3 years on my first Model S, got it again on S #2

After four years and daily use of the air suspension, never had a problem. Have a new Model S on the way and have air suspension on order. I think it's very useful in Southern California.

I have a 2013 P85 with 100K miles on it--air suspension has been solid--I don't mess around with it a lot--have auto-lowering set up and occasionally use it for steep driveways, crazy speedbumps, etc.

I have had three S's with the SAS. I think definitely a must have. I believe there's two reasons for SAS. One is driving over steep or difficult driveway entrances or alleys. But number two is more important. We have so many concrete rolly-polly curbs in parking lots. Many have rebar through a hole that prevents the concrete curb from moving. Its too easy to pull the Model S up to the curb and for a number or reasons backing out often causes the curb or rebar to hang on the front and tear the lower front bumper. I've scrapped mine but now only once or twice. The less known secret about the SAS is its GPS based memory of where you last raised the height. For instance, pull into a parking lot and raise your car before you pull close to the regular or rolly-polly curb. Now that you have raised the car (helps exiting the car too), the car remembers you raised it and you don't need to raise it or remember to raise it next time - its automatic. This feature of the SAS has saved scrubbing the bottom side of the car many times. Yes, the SAS is a must have. Never had a problem with it. One of my S's is 3 1/2 years old. Never been a problem.

Our late S P85 has the air suspension - triggered to lower at 60 MPH. And we will often raise the suspension when pulling up to a high curb, going over high speed bumps, or when there's standing water during heavy rains. With over 85K miles, we haven't had any problems.

So we included SAS with our new S 100D (over 2K miles already...).
Here is another post that answered a lot of questions about the height adjustments on an MS with SAS:
Found the spec on Tesla support page: Model S Specifications and also on the web site toward the bottom: Model S | Tesla
  • Clearance 5.3"(Dual Motor)*, 5.5"(RWD)*
    With air suspension 4.6" - 6.3"
So the "Very High" setting appears to only give less than an inch with a single RWD motor. I also think the low point of the undercarriage is somewhere farther under the car. I also wonder if the spec accounts for Tesla adding undercarriage protection for the battery case?

So being able to drop a single motor variant one inch closer to the ground provides how much more range efficiency? That spec might be a little bit more difficult to ferret out.
So, I checked spec. ground clearance on my current car. It is listed at 5.3". I do have problems with this car on my driveway ramp and bumper stops in parking lots. Now the 5.5" spec on an MS RWD would help my situation a bit but the SAS adjustment at "very high" 6.3" would help a lot! No one knows at this point what the ground clearance spec is for the Model 3 is going to be, but I will be very interested when this number comes out. I will repeat that I don't think SAS will offered as an option for the M3 in the short term and maybe not forever. But my current thinking is that I will purchase SAS as an option if available to me.

Since I'm feeling lazy on a Saturday, I went back and studied the reveal presentation. If you remember it showed the 3 being built up from the battery, electrical harnesses, then suspension and motors etc. and at least in the rendering shown it definitely shows what looks like air struts not coil springs. Granted what was shown was most likely the P-model since it had red brake calipers so it may be performance specific option, but pretty sure it will be available on some variant at some point. Of course, things could have changed since the reveal, but my bet it will be offered. I'm too lazy to attach an image, maybe someone else can do that. :p