Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do BMW drivers who encounter Teslas almost always embarass themselves?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
over here its also more Audi drivers than BMW... Funny thing with the model S is that I drive slower and more relaxed. Think its the combo of comfortable/silent and the fact you know that the car is quicker than the others...

I think it is because they have been convinced they are driving "The Ultimate Driving Machine". They just need a little more schoolin' as they say here in Tennessee.

They were driving the ultimate driving machine 5 years ago. We have owned several and loved them, that is until we got our Model S. I think they need to redo their tag line to ultimate ice driving machine.

I think it is because they have been convinced they are driving "The Ultimate Driving Machine". They just need a little more schoolin' as they say here in Tennessee.

Well, I've owned several BMWs (I have 3 BMWs now, and now also a P85+) and despite all the awesomeness of the Model S, BMWs really still are the "Ultimate Driving Machines". Don't get me wrong, I love the P85+, but in some key areas, it really fails the "Ultimate" moniker -- like the seats, or top-end horsepower and speed (oh, and "range" :) ). The Model S suspension and handling is pretty good, and *almost* is as good as my M5, but just not quite the same. I don't want to turn this into a religious debate, but I feel that BMW still does deserve the title "The Ultimate Driving Machine" (and without the "ICE" qualifier). If you still feel the need to add a qualifier, go ahead and call the Model S "The Ultimate BEV Driving Machine".

Well, I've owned several BMWs (I have 3 BMWs now, and now also a P85+) and despite all the awesomeness of the Model S, BMWs really still are the "Ultimate Driving Machines". Don't get me wrong, I love the P85+, but in some key areas, it really fails the "Ultimate" moniker -- like the seats, or top-end horsepower and speed (oh, and "range" :) ). The Model S suspension and handling is pretty good, and *almost* is as good as my M5, but just not quite the same. I don't want to turn this into a religious debate, but I feel that BMW still does deserve the title "The Ultimate Driving Machine" (and without the "ICE" qualifier). If you still feel the need to add a qualifier, go ahead and call the Model S "The Ultimate BEV Driving Machine".

Maybe.
But there's simply no way any ICE can compare in the drive dynamics (1 pedal driving combined with instant/continuous full torque response) of a Tesla... at least not in an out of traffic commutes. On a winding road with no traffic, this advantage might be traded to the Beemer.

Maybe.
But there's simply no way any ICE can compare in the drive dynamics (1 pedal driving combined with instant/continuous full torque response) of a Tesla... at least not in an out of traffic commutes. On a winding road with no traffic, this advantage might be traded to the Beemer.

But that's really just one aspect of "Ultimate Driving Machine"... sure, we can pick apart dozens of features/attributes/factors of each car and in some one car would win out over the other. But I'm not talking about just one or two cherry-picked aspects, I'm talking about them all put together into one unit. When you do that, (or at least when *I* do that, comparing my M5 to my MS), I'd have to say, OVERALL, the BMW still fully captures the "Ultimate Driving Machine" title, despite the few areas where the MS might beat it out.

And you'd be surprised how responsive my M5 is on the highway when I put my foot down. Sure, it might be a few milliseconds slower than the MS, but the fun factor for both is pretty much the same.

I think my boom truck is the "ultimate driving machine". In an apocalypse situation, it will do far more than an M5 will - zombies tend to meander slowly, so that speed doesn't mean squat. The ability, however, to go 50 feet in the air and cover them from the air will be critical.

:)

Bottom line - different strokes for different folks. I'm not a big fan of the BMW - it feels like any other expensive gasoline-fueled vehicle... there's not much differentiation, although I favor the AMG over the BMW. The Tesla has a mystique about it because it's silent and it's quick where it needs to be. I don't normally take cars on tracks and top-speed "fast" isn't the only thing I look at. In terms of handling, to me the Tesla beats the crap out of the M5 -- the Tesla can hold onto some of my local "35 mph" curves at a full 65 mph without blinking, the M5 tends to skitter on them with a higher center of gravity at that speed.

I agree 100% with this. I also own several BMWs and a P85+. The BMW still is the ultimate sport sedan but Tesla's ability to get close in such a short period of time is impressive.

- - - Updated - - -

"Skitter?" I've raced and taught at DE events for over 2 decades and I'm not quite sure what you mean by "skitter." Handling is usually not defined by the ability to "hold a curve" at a speed. You can make a really ill handling car "hold a curve" at high speeds with wide / sticky tires (think early Vipers). The real question is what a car does at and over the limit of tire grip? What are the breakaway characteristics? How is the balance when pushed to the outer limits of the friction circles? What is the steering and chassis feel. I'll take the M5 for playing in this space any day. One of my first reactions to my P85+ was that I felt it was under damped and the bushing / rear subframe felt too compliant in the rear compared to most BMW M products I'm used to. The Model S is definitely moving around more over bumps or surface irregularities in high speed sweepers compared to an M5 or even E63. I was a bit disappointed in this given the $6.5K cost for the + package. I opted for the + early when little was known about the dampers. I expected at $6.5k that we'd be getting something a bit more than bilsteins and big sway bars.

BMWs and AMG products have significantly different qualities.

I think my boom truck is the "ultimate driving machine". In an apocalypse situation, it will do far more than an M5 will - zombies tend to meander slowly, so that speed doesn't mean squat. The ability, however, to go 50 feet in the air and cover them from the air will be critical.

:)

Bottom line - different strokes for different folks. I'm not a big fan of the BMW - it feels like any other expensive gasoline-fueled vehicle... there's not much differentiation, although I favor the AMG over the BMW. The Tesla has a mystique about it because it's silent and it's quick where it needs to be. I don't normally take cars on tracks and top-speed "fast" isn't the only thing I look at. In terms of handling, to me the Tesla beats the crap out of the M5 -- the Tesla can hold onto some of my local "35 mph" curves at a full 65 mph without blinking, the M5 tends to skitter on them with a higher center of gravity at that speed.

I haven't had many BMW's challenge my Model S. When I had a Gen II Dodge Viper it was funny. M5's and M3's wouldn't even line up with me at a stop light, always seemed to cower back behind the line. Ive only have had one 3 series try to race me in the Model S and of course, it wasn't even close. I think a my friend's Leaf could have beat him off the line....