Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did you choose to go electric?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... About this time, I was contacted by Tesla with the option of leasing a Roadster "until the Model S was ready, then we could return it to TMC if we wanted too" [...]

As the delivery of our Model S approaches, she knows that the Roadster "ain't goin' nowhere"...
See this cute little puppy with the big eyes and floppy ears? Just take him for a couple of days, and then you can give him back if you want to...

Tesla had your number from the start.

Three reasons and a 4th developed.

1) I got tired of my "donation" to our friends like Russia, Saudi Arabia and Venezuela. Last year the USA sent more than $420 Billion overseas for imported oil. This is the greatest transfer of wealth in history. If you look at the last 5 years we have averaged more than $1 billion/day. Enough is enough.

2) Oil is finite. It appears we have hit a wall on oil production as since 2005 production has risen a scant .3% while in the same 7 years oil prices have quadrupled. This is at a time worldwide auto sales have hit high great with China, India and other developing nations. I look at the extremes we are going to, to get oil, drilling in 700+ ft of water, tar sands where we end up with 4,000 lbs of toxic sand and 120 gal of toxic water for every barrel of oil or oil shale with the tremendous energy required for in-situ extraction. I do not see how this can continue for long.

3) The environment is being affected as we have seen the summer ice cap decline by more than 50% in the last 33 years. We see more than 85% of the worlds glacier in retreat, sea levels are rising and extreme weather in becoming common. Again I can’t see how we can continue.

4) Then I got my Roadster and it is FUN to drive. Far more fun than ANY car I have ever driven. This IS the future.

Well... For these two reasons:

* The cost of gas. It is usually based on world events that do not materialize.

* I will take my former annual automotive fuel bill and use that to pay myself for driving a Model S. $2800 to $4300 will make for a nice annual vacation or extra payments toward the S.