Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why can't you drive into Mexico without voiding the warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This would be my guess even over power. I worked on a Production in Mexico City for many months and my computers were fine when there were no brown or blackouts. By the end I was on a dedicated genny all day but only because blackouts cost us a day of work. not a problem with an charging EV.

Reading the Tesla paperwork it seems like dinner across the boarder would be OK. Unless you broke down. Then you would be on your own getting the car back. Do we think they would they track your location and even care if nothing went wrong?

What the Tesla warranty actually says though is that if the car is driven or even transported in Mexico the warranty is void. If you even have the car trailered through Mexico it voids the warranty.
Who knows if they would track it, but they certainly could with the GPS and/or network.

I'm really just wondering why they care at all.

If it's because of the power, I'd think they could refuse to fix the charger, but why would that void the warranty on the entire car?
The differences in lighting, etc. aren't a problem with any other car, so shouldn't be with Tesla either, and why would that be a warranty issue anyway? You might get a ticket, but that's not anything to do with Tesla.
Even if the car got shot up, that's not a warranty issue no matter where you are.

It could be a factor of various things such as
1. electrical grid issues
2. 3g cellular not able to roam in Mexico.
3. Warranty may have a third party insurance company that Tesla is using to insure warrranty and they are refusing to include Mexico.

Also, most of your insurance policies do not cover you in Mexico. Some may endorse the policy to cover physical damage done in Mexico via an endorsement. Most require you get the car back to USA.

Under Mexican law it is illegal for an insurance company to operate there without being domiciled in Mexico.

It could be a factor of various things such as
1. electrical grid issues
2. 3g cellular not able to roam in Mexico.
3. Warranty may have a third party insurance company that Tesla is using to insure warrranty and they are refusing to include Mexico.

Also, most of your insurance policies do not cover you in Mexico. Some may endorse the policy to cover physical damage done in Mexico via an endorsement. Most require you get the car back to USA.

Under Mexican law it is illegal for an insurance company to operate there without being domiciled in Mexico.
But why would the lack of 3G affect your warranty?
The 3rd party insurance company idea is interesting, although that also brings up the question of why they would care. The question isn't about doing something like registering the car in Mexico, but just driving (or transporting) it there.

Your comment on insurance in Mexico is quite correct, in fact it's more stringent. You must have specific Mexican coverage to legally drive in Mexico, although it's available pretty cheaply for short visits.

I wonder whether they're trying to say, "Don't buy the car in the US/Canada and then transport/drive it to your home in Mexico and expect warranty service."

i.e., that having the car "transported" or "driven" to Mexico for permanent placement is the issue. The wording is lousy if that's what they're trying to say, but that would at least make sense.

I wonder whether they're trying to say, "Don't buy the car in the US/Canada and then transport/drive it to your home in Mexico and expect warranty service."

i.e., that having the car "transported" or "driven" to Mexico for permanent placement is the issue. The wording is lousy if that's what they're trying to say, but that would at least make sense.
That would totally be reasonable and make sense. I believe some (most?) other car warranties say something like that. If it is a wording problem, it's VERY poorly written.

What I tried to say above. (only better)

I doubt it's just wording, the iMIEV warranty says: "This Limited Warranty applies only to Vehicles that are registered in the United States and normally operated in the United States or temporarily traveling in Canada."
So no temporary travel in any other country (which includes Mexico). So Tesla's term is strict, but not unprecedented.

For the Leaf you can explicitly operate the car outside North America for "not exceeding sixty (60) consecutive days or sixty (60) days in any one 12 month period".

WRT the quality of power in Mexico:

In this thread there's a quote from a Tesla person who says power surges are handled by a surge protector in the car.

What-happens-to-Model-S-if-there-is-a-power-surge-in-my-house

That makes a lot of sense. There are power surges and brownouts all over the US in hot or inclement weather, plus there's no prohibition on trying to charge the car on generator power which is generally really dirty.

I inquired with Tesla Ownership Experience, and they confirmed that just driving the car into Mexico (e.g. for a day trip, etc) does not void the warranty. It's taking the car outside of the homologation region for an "extended period".

I have asked for clarification of what exactly an "extended period is". I also pointed out that it's exactly this kind of vague language that is generating the question in the first place.

Hello again,

I asked for further clarification of the "extended period", and I received a very helpful reply, which I am copying here verbatim along with some context.

Tesla said:
A day trip to Mexico will not void your warranty, but operating Model S outside of its homologation region for an extended period of time will void your warranty.

MikeK said:
Thanks very much for the information. Could you please clarify what constitutes an "extended time" in question #4? If you check out the warranty thread on the Tesla Motors Club forum (bring an asbestos suit), it's specifically the rather vague nature of the language that people are annoyed about. I would love to be able to pass something along on the warranty thread and say, "No, no, it's just like I said it was: it's about relocating the car, not taking it on a trip." I know that the response will be, from some, "Then they should update the language because the language is what will be used if there's ever a dispute." I agree with that sentiment, actually.

Tesla said:
Hello Mike,

Usually, most countries dictate the amount of time a vehicle can operate in the country until it needs to be registered or permanently relocated for lawful use. This is what we would consider an extended period of time.

The simple explanation is that we design every Model S for its intended origin of use and make the appropriate changes and modification for these specific regions. We can only warranty a car that we know is being used in the manner in which it was designed. As for how it is written in our manual, this is the same language and restriction placed on many other vehicles sold and is not Tesla specific. For example, I can refer you to BMW’s warranty coverage that explains the same stipulations in very similar language.

I will definitely forward your feedback over to the appropriate departments. And we look forward to having you over to the factory to pick up your Model S!

I hope this answer (which is what I expected) resolves the question!

Hello again,

I asked for further clarification of the "extended period", and I received a very helpful reply, which I am copying here verbatim along with some context.

The simple explanation is that we design every Model S for its intended origin of use and make the appropriate changes and modification for these specific regions. We can only warranty a car that we know is being used in the manner in which it was designed. As for how it is written in our manual, this is the same language and restriction placed on many other vehicles sold and is not Tesla specific. For example, I can refer you to BMW’s warranty coverage that explains the same stipulations in very similar language.

I hope this answer (which is what I expected) resolves the question!
That's a great answer..... Except it's not true.

BMW has no such language in their warranty. I'd be very interested to see that reference because I'm very doubtful it exists.

Here's a link to the actual BMW warranty documents:
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/BMWUltimateService/ServiceandWarrantyBooks.aspx

This is the only discussion about what happens outside the homologation region I could find:

Your vehicle has been specifically adapted and designed to meet the particular operating
conditions and homologation requirements in your country and continental region in order to
deliver the full BMW driving pleasure while the vehicle is operated under those conditions. If you
wish to operate your vehicle in another country or region, you may be required to adapt your
vehicle to meet different prevailing operating conditions and homologation requirements.You
should also be aware of any applicable warranty limitations or exclusions for such country or
region. In such case, please contact the CustomerRelations and Services Department for
further information.
TheBMW limited warranties apply only to U.S.-specification BMW vehicles and is valid only
when repairs are performed at an authorized U.S.BMW center, subject to all applicable
exclusions or limitations. All other U.S.-specification programs such as Roadside Assistance
and the Maintenance Programs are also valid only in the U.S.

My reading of this is that there may be different warranty terms in another country, and that all repairs and things like Roadside Assistance only are available in the US.

I see nothing about voiding the warranty nor any prohibition of driving or transporting the car outside the US in the list of things the warranty explicitly doesn't cover.

Email comments are not going to stand up in court if they contradict what the actual warranty explicitly states. If what the Tesla rep said is true, they need to change the wording of the warranty.

@RDoc: have you already got a plan for your Boston-Mexico trip? It would make for an interesting blog.
Actually I kind of do, although since I won't be getting my X for awhile, it's a bit vague. However...

We like to camp and have done pieces of this on different trips. Anyway, what I'd like to do is go down through the Smokies, then across through TN and MO to New Orleans. From there due west to Texas, as I'd like to visit Austin, and if possible dip into Mexico. From there, to NM and Santa Fe, then north following the Rockies all the way up to Calgary, Banf and Lake Louise. If we're not tired of traveling by then, I'd like to go west from there through BC. It's probably at least a 4 week trip at that point, with another week and a half to get back, so we might want to go home by then across Canada.

For charging, I'm hoping we can find a combination of Superchargers and RV hookups in state, national, and provincial parks to make it work. What we've seen in many places, particularly late in the season, is a lot of the hookups are empty, so while they often don't allow camping in RV spots, I doubt they'll care if there are several empty spaces. It probably won't be practical to go very far into some of the parks like Canyonland, and it's going to take some very careful planning. Exactly where charging stations are and what kinds of connectors are available is going to be critical, but we won't know that for another year.

Blogging about it is an interesting idea, although my experience out there is that internet connections are pretty sparse.

My problem with the whole warranty voiding issue is that Tesla isn't putting it's money where it's mouth is. The warranty should spell out exactly what's required and allowed, not be a place holder modified by various blog post replies and individual emails. None of that will hold up in court if push comes to shove.

I just want to make clear that I do agree with you -- the language in the warranty should be unambiguous and clear. It currently is not. I am comforted by the interpretation that I got by email, which is exactly the interpretation that I expected. The next step (and the Tesla rep promised to pass this feedback along) is that the wording should clearly reflect that interpretation.

Visit Baja/Mexico, void your warranty?

Not that I'd be likely to visit Baja in such an expensive vehicle but the following (from the warranty pdf on teslamotors.com) seems really harsh. The idea of a quick jaunt down to Tijuana or Ensenada doesn't seem that far fetched for SoCal residents.

"The following will also void this New Vehicle Limited Warranty:
Vehicles that have been transported or driven outside the Tesla North America Warranty Region;"

"For purposes of this New Vehicle Limited Warranty, the Tesla North America Warranty Region is defined as all 50 states of the United States of America, the District of Columbia, and all 13 provinces and territories of Canada. If your vehicle was sold, transported or driven outside the Tesla North America Warranty Region, no warranties, including this New Vehicle Limited Warranty, will apply."

I looked up warrantees for a few other companies and none of them come close. BMW and Mercedes appear to have no out of region provisions at all that I could find. Nissan will not cover the car while it is out region, and will void the warranty if it is out of region for more than 60 days.