Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are people sweating the details?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is true that I usually lease because I rarely keep a car past 2 or 3 years and you always get killed on trade-in value if you buy/sell in that short of a period. Even with the S, I'm fairly certain there will be the 'next great thing' in 30 months from now (term of my lease), and I'll want to swap up.

Really, I'm glad everybody is figuring out a way to get themselves a model S. I've been working with a friend who's trying to cost justify one, but unfortunately no lending agency he's talked to takes into account the fuel savings. It's unfortunate, since there are very real savings there and the car really is effectively about 15K less than actual price (over time)

If I were planning to lease, I wouldn't sweat the details either....

I've never known anybody to purchase a base model of any vehicle anyway.
When I got my 02 Maxima, I bought the base trim, the GXE. IIRC, there were no or virtually no options (maybe only stuff like floor mats and cargo organizer). It was already fairly well-equipped to me, for a car of its time with power windows and door locks, ABS, TCS, Xenon headlights, cruise control, CD player, power driver's seat, Homelink transmitter, etc.

My Leaf doesn't even have Homelink nor power seats (not even an option). Power seats were never an option on my Prius.

When I got a Nissan 350Z, I bought the 2nd to lowest trim: Enthusiast.

A thought that is missing from this thread is the point that some options are packages of items, some of which have value to the customer and some of which don't. I don't appreciate paying for something I don't want, even if it is $100 and more so at $1000+, even though I can afford it.
Yep. Just because I could easily afford a Leaf SL instead of the SV I got (or even a Model S) doesn't mean I'll go for it. I don't like leather and didn't like the black leather interior (only one available on the '13 Leaf SL), so I didn't go for it. I didn't see any value in some of the other stuff on that trim like the larger different (weird looking) wheels and the near worthless solar panel.

If the Model X has a base model similar to the 70D, I'll most likely go for that. The 70D has pretty much everything I really want:

- More than 200 miles range
- Supercharging
- 8 year unlimited drivetrain/battery warranty
- AWD
- Great (though not insane) acceleration
- Navigation, parking sensors, 17" touchscreen, etc.
- Very safe car
- Quiet and smooth ride
- No gas stations

The only things I would definitely add on my Model X would be metallic paint, abachi, tow hitch and winter tires. But I might splurge on air suspension and leather seats.

The Model X is right at the top of my budget. While I can afford it, I live within walking distance to work, so my actual needs for a car aren't extremely high. I also don't want to completely wipe out my investments to buy a car, so I'll likely be financing 75% over 8 years. (Though I might bake this into some other loan with a better interest rate.) I'll also probably keep the car for more than 10 years.

If it weren't for Tesla, there's no way I'd be spending in the region of 80k USD on a car. My current car, a 2009 Hyundai i30 CW, has everything I *need*. Including more space than a Model S and a tow hitch.

I'm one of those people planning on stretching for a Model S.

To be clear, it is what I would normally consider an insane amount to spend on a vehicle. I've never bought a car newer than 15 years old, and the most I ever paid was $14,000.

My yearly income is less than a base 70D, but I have zero debt, a paid off house, good job security, a reasonable pension plan (and am on track to retire 10 years early with full pension), I have maxed out my RRSP and TFSA (Canadian investment savings vehicles (rough equivalent to a US 401K?)) I also have saved up about enough to afford a 70D with no options. (should be able to afford more by my target purchase date next year) I have done this, not by making lots of money, but by being very frugal with my spending. I am basically rewarding myself for saving well, and want a lot of car, but I will definitely "sweat the details" because every $1000 is still a fair amount of money to me.

Reasons for getting a MS instead of waiting for Model 3:
- if I can find a used MS, I might be able to get more car without spending much more money than a new Model 3
- I'm coming from a mini-van, I use the space in that, I can't imagine getting a small car (realistically the MX might make more sense for me, but paying even more for an MX over an MS is hard to justify, especially when I've always been more of a sedan guy than an CUV guy anyway.)
- I'm willing to spend a bit more to get more (but I have to be getting more of what I want, not more of useless stuff to me.)

Sure the MS doesn't "make sense" for me in almost any way (not only is it super expensive for me, I don't even need it for commuting as I have a company truck), but it's what I want, and I'm saving up the money to buy one.

I think people need to realize that there is no "one size fits all" demographic at work here. I'm not in the "money to burn" category of Tesla buyer, but I am in the "tech savy early adopter" category. The two shouldn't need to be combined in to one.

I think people need to realize that there is no "one size fits all" demographic at work here. I'm not in the "money to burn" category of Tesla buyer, but I am in the "tech savy early adopter" category. The two shouldn't need to be combined in to one.
I think you're quite right. The What category of car did your Tesla replace? thread certainly supports the notion that there is a broad spectrum of buyers - much broader than what you'd assume would buy any other car in this price range.

Actually, sweating the details is a pretty fun part of the whole process. It's not like I'm doing this again in six weeks or six months, so I want to make sure I've made an informed decision.

1. 70D, 85D or P85D. Perhaps the only real decision I made. I like fast, so I went with the P85D. The rest is easy.

Leaning towards 85 Kwh. Not really sure I need the P. Have talked to plenty who got along fine in northern climates with rwd, but I'm inclined to go with 85D. Pretty sure i would regret going with 85 rwd only.

2. Carbon fiber spoiler, looks cool, add it...

Not really functional, doesn't accent other pieces. Think I can easily pass this.

3. Autopilot, of course yes, why would I want to restrict my expensive car features?

Not a fan of TACC, I like old school cruise control, but if I skip this I'll be missing out on some truly revolutionary aspects of future updates.

4. Smart air suspension, of course yes.

Probably. Still debating. Everyone in the industry I've asked said this is going to be a really expensive repair out of warranty.

5. High fidelity sound, yes. Why would I want to listen to crappy music on a high-end vehicle?

Same as above in that it's probably but still debating. I was sure MP3 would fail because of low quality. Have talked to owners who are perfectly happy with the standard version.

6. Premium interior package. Of course, why would I want my expensive car to have a less than stellar interior?

The power liftgate, cornering and fog lights are really nice. yes to this. The other three items (all interior) are meh to me.

7. Executive rear seats. Maybe the only other 'real' option to me. I don't need to cart around 5 people, so I went with the comfort and looks of these seats.

Seems like I could accomplish the same thing by adding a center console after market. Also, #9 (I have two kids).

8. Subzero weather package. I live in Oklahoma, but yes! Love a warm seat and steering wheel on the few cold days we get (maybe 10 all year).

After watching the Bjørn Nyland videos, no. If a guy who drives all the time in six month long winters thinks it wasn't worth it, not sure this matters that much to me.

9. Rear facing seats. I don't have small kids, and I like the storage room, so no thank you.

Even if the bloom wears off quickly (likely outcome), don't lose that much storage. You leave them up and pile stuff on. Probably getting this.

10. Sunroof. I like the look both inside and out, so of course.

Yes, I think this is an easy decision. Though it is a bit cold/drafty it's a great look from all vantage points.

11. 21 inch grey turbine wheel please, they look far better to me (personal taste here).

Turbine I love. Now that they are available in 19 inch as well, this might be the hardest decision. There's a lot of performance versus ride comfort factors in play here.

12. Paint - red multi-coat. Looks best to me (again, personal taste).

All the multi-coat paints look great. Thought I wanted Blue but boy that Pearl White looks great as well. Unless I go for Titanium Metallic. Definitely need to look a few over when I visit the West 25th Street store for my test drive.

13. Black next generation seats. Feel better, and again, very expensive car so why would I skimp?

Like the next gen. Leaning towards tan, even though I know wear and tear will show up on them sooner.

14. Carbon fiber interior. Personal choice, I just like it.

Probably going piano black.

15. White Alcantara headliner..... I like the look.

Headliner is something I need to see in person, but probably white Alcantara.

Good thread, I like hearing what other people are thinking as they work through these decisions. And they're pretty fun decisions to make!

11. 21 inch grey turbine wheel please, they look far better to me (personal taste here).

Turbine I love. Now that they are available in 19 inch as well, this might be the hardest decision. There's a lot of performance versus ride comfort factors in play here.
Note that the 19" are 'Cyclone' and differently shaped than the 21" wheels. For the 21s, you have 10 'blades' whereas for the 19s you have 5 pairs of 2 'blades'. From a distance, they look quite similar but up close there is definitely a difference. I prefer the 21s but I can live with the Cyclones as well; some can't (aesthetically). YMMV.

Note that the 19" are 'Cyclone' and differently shaped than the 21" wheels. For the 21s, you have 10 'blades' whereas for the 19s you have 5 pairs of 2 'blades'. From a distance, they look quite similar but up close there is definitely a difference. I prefer the 21s but I can live with the Cyclones as well; some can't (aesthetically). YMMV.

Thank you, I missed that.

I'm still about two months from placing my orders. These forums are a terrific resource while I reasearch more about this amazing car.

Walked by the W 25th St store last night with my daughter and now I see it clearly. 19" are Cyclone (as you say, 5 sets of 2) but the 21" is a symmetrical pattern of 10 blades. I think I like both; my decision point here, for me, is weighing the comfort ride of one versus the performance and feedback of the other.

Need to figure out how to use the search function better. Surely there has been a thread discussed the merits and drawbacks of each setup. My initial i-research has yielded confusing and conflicting (& in some instances no doubt incorrect) opinions.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't find the edit button. Does that appear later when I lose newbie status? At any rate, to clarify I'm not having an internal debate about the Cyclone wheels. Rather I'm trying to decide which size tire suits my driving style.