Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About to pull trigger on 2022 Std Rng Model 3 $23k out the door 13k miles red

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is an ex-rental car, but most of my other cars have rebuilt titles, so I am not really afraid.. only concern is what to check when I do an "in person" inspection prior to Sale, All ready confirmed that Insurance would run $800/year .

I am aware that this is a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery, but I have those in my basement powering my house so I am happy with that technology. (I don't plan to drag race the car LOL).

Spent months investigating 2022 Chevy Bolts in same price range, but decided that if I can get a low mileage 2022 M3, (even with the rental car history) it will hold value better when compared to the now discontinued Chevy Bolt.

I was shocked when I started seeing these 22 M3's below the magic $4000 rebate price of $25k, and I would consider a vehicle with 13k miles nearly new.

I am not very familiar with the M3, but have read that the 22 is better (quieter, rides better) when compared to the 21 and earlier versions. Reports are that most "features" are standard so heated/cooled seats, Heated steering wheel, power seats, and limited lane keeping, automated cruise control features,... no FSD of course, but I could rent that feature to try out if I wish.

Can the experts here make suggestions on what I should look for when I do my "pre-purchase" inspection.
Do I assume I will get a home charge cable for the NEMA 14-50 outlet I am installing.

I will of course do a careful inspection for interior and interior, but are there any of the service screens I should look at to see the guts of the car?

Thank you in advance for feedback.
Let me know if you think I made I good deal, I think I have....

I think the best deals would have been if you bought it back in December. For example, new Model 3's with the discounts and tax rebate were $26.5k.

But you can't always time your purchases and for right now, that's not a bad deal. Being that it was a rental, I'd look carefully underneath the car. I can almost guarantee the front bottom of the bumper is all scraped up. But more importantly, any significant damage underneath around the battery?

You probably won't have a charger included. Tesla doesn't include it, so I don't see how it would end up in the car coming back as a rental car. They're cheap though directly from Tesla. Make sure you have the J1772 adaptor though as that comes with every tesla but who knows if someone took it (https://shop.tesla.com/product/sae-j1772-charging-adapter).

The LFP is actually a good thing in these since you can charge to (and you should) 100% everyday. For me, it's been nice since it takes away all the planning around charge percentages - such as days we will do a longer drive, and remembering to increase/lower the charge limit. It's slower than what I'm used to, but it's the wife's car and still plenty of power.

Reactions: Maybe_buyer
Good price with low miles. Make sure you get the $4000 Point of Sale tax rebate if you buy under $25K and not older than a 2021. I got my 21 M3 SR+ with 72k miles for a hair less then 21k after rebate. As long as the car still has a battery warranty, you should be fine. Yours at least still has the 50k car warranty left. Mine did not. I did have to get my battery replaced under warranty a few months after I got it. But now I have a NEW LFP battery. Great car for the price.

Reactions: fredjan
That's insane value. Honestly, that car has way less miles than my 2023 rwd, which I bought new and now has 20k miles...

There isn't much that can go wrong in these vehicles. If you really want to nitpick, check the plastic cover of the rocker panels. Sometimes, the clips of that plastic cover break (due to high pressure car washes?), but you can get that fixed under basic warranty.
Check the plastic clips behind the frunk, that are near the base of the windshield. Sometimes, those plastic clips get loose, especially if the windshield has been replaced.

You can more or less expect scratches and swirls in a used car. I wouldn't worry too much about the paint being pristine.

All model year 2022 RWD (standard range) in the US have 60 kWh LFP batteries. All have front and rear heated seats, but cooled seats were not available.

However, equipment did vary across the model year. Some examples:
  • USB ports in console box may be charge-only or charge+data. A few cars were missing them entirely.
  • Earliest (through mid January?) 2022 cars had Intel Atom infotainment computer and lead-acid low voltage battery, but later ones had the current AMD Ryzen infotainment computer and lithium-ion low voltage battery.
  • Ultrasonic sensors for parking assistance were removed around October 2022; vision based parking distance displays after that are said to be less reliable.
  • During some time period, some cars reverted to being delivered with Premium rather than Global (matrix) headlights. The latter have the potential for adaptive partial high beam being enabled, but this has not occurred (or at least not yet).
  • After April 2022, the Mobile Connector was no longer included with the car (prior to that, it was included with only the 5-15 plug adapter). However, even if originally included, it may be missing in a used car. So you will likely need to buy the 14-50 plug adapter if it is present in the car, or buy a Mobile Connector (which now comes with 5-15 and 14-50 plug adapters) if it is not present in the car. Or you can install a Wall Connector instead of a 14-50 outlet and a Mobile Connector.
  • There should be an adapter that allows AC charging from a J1772 EVSE -- this has always been included, but may be missing in a used car.
  • Stick-on front license plate holder was always included, and was probably stuck on if the car was registered in a front plate location.

Last edited:
Thank you that helps
That is a new car checklist. Your car will be used, so it will inevitably have cosmetic imperfections and other wear and tear. I would assume this vehicle has some curb rash and other things you normally wouldn't see in a new car.

Like, if we were talking about a new car, I would honestly even suggest checking for PDR marks. Tesla service centers get new cars fixed at nearby PDR shops if those were damaged during transport.

This is an ex-rental car, but most of my other cars have rebuilt titles, so I am not really afraid.. only concern is what to check when I do an "in person" inspection prior to Sale, All ready confirmed that Insurance would run $800/year .

I am aware that this is a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery, but I have those in my basement powering my house so I am happy with that technology. (I don't plan to drag race the car LOL).

Spent months investigating 2022 Chevy Bolts in same price range, but decided that if I can get a low mileage 2022 M3, (even with the rental car history) it will hold value better when compared to the now discontinued Chevy Bolt.

I was shocked when I started seeing these 22 M3's below the magic $4000 rebate price of $25k, and I would consider a vehicle with 13k miles nearly new.

I am not very familiar with the M3, but have read that the 22 is better (quieter, rides better) when compared to the 21 and earlier versions. Reports are that most "features" are standard so heated/cooled seats, Heated steering wheel, power seats, and limited lane keeping, automated cruise control features,... no FSD of course, but I could rent that feature to try out if I wish.

Can the experts here make suggestions on what I should look for when I do my "pre-purchase" inspection.
Do I assume I will get a home charge cable for the NEMA 14-50 outlet I am installing.

I will of course do a careful inspection for interior and interior, but are there any of the service screens I should look at to see the guts of the car?

Thank you in advance for feedback.
Let me know if you think I made I good deal, I think I have....
I am not familiar with KBB numbers for that car
I like the low miles for a rental
$25K bef or after the IRA -$4K?
We have 2x M3 and both RWD, best friend has a 2019 he’s trading in and we all are obsessed with the M3 value, performance, reliability, etc
Go for it