Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to store summer tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a set of 18-inch Michelin Pilot Sport 4S High performance summer tires on my P3D- right now. Now that cooler weather is here and winter is right around the corner, I want to start planning what to do when it’s time to remove my summer tires.

First and foremost, when should I remove the tires? My main concern is that I don’t want to mess them up or be unsafe driving them in low temps.

But my main reason for making this thread is to ask where you all store your set of summer tires? Normally I’d put them in my garage (detached and unheated/unfinished) but Michelin states that they should be kept in a climate-controlled area that doesn’t get down to freezing levels. With this in mind, I know that my garage is inadequate, and I don’t have a basement. I do have an attic, but I’m not keen on storing tires there if I can help it.

what do you all do, assuming you don’t all have basements for stuff like this...?

Replace them before temps drop below freezing and storing in your garage is fine, though not the best (unless you're in Alaska and we're talking super cold temps). They will get cold, just ensure not to use/mount/flex them when they are cold as the rubber will be very brittle and prone to damage and/or cracking. Rapid temp swings are also not great, but probably fine in a garage.

Also, either cover the tires or ensure that no sunlight hits them when stored. Also, covering them is a good way to minimize ozone exposure (in case there is any in your garage). Ozone and sunlight are the two things that kill tires most quickly.

When I lived in North Dakota, the tire store would store your off-season tires for free, if you bought from them. When I moved to Spokane that was no longer the case. I had to store them in my garage. There are no seasons where I live now. So it's no longer an issue for me.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Also, either cover the tires or ensure that no sunlight hits them when stored. Also, covering them is a good way to minimize ozone exposure (in case there is any in your garage). Ozone and sunlight are the two things that kill tires most quickly.
I was going to use a black lawn bag? My main concern was freezing. I just didn’t want to risk messing up my tires due to freezing in the garage.

You mean where each tires goes? FL, FR, RL, RR? Or the actual balancing on the rim?
FL, FR, RL, RR. Always balance when you remount. If you put the tires on the wrong sides the belts in the treads can shift, or the tread will wear funny and the car will track strange.

Put them in a black lawn bag you will be fine.

If you put the tires on the wrong sides the belts in the treads can shift, or the tread will wear funny and the car will track strange.

Not true. Most cars call for tires to be swapped side to side as part of the rotation pattern unless the tires have a directional tread pattern. Modern tires won't get messed up if you run them on the opposite side of the car.

Reactions: afadeev
My main concern was freezing. I just didn’t want to risk messing up my tires due to freezing in the garage.

As long as you aren't flexing the tire when it's cold, you'll be alright. I ran Pilot Sport 4S up into the mountains for a few days a while back when it was freezing up there and didn't have any issues with temps dropping into the 20s at night and that was actually USING the tires. Not great, but i didn't have any other options so i just risked it.

First and foremost, when should I remove the tires? My main concern is that I don’t want to mess them up or be unsafe driving them in low temps.

Any time temps drop below 40F, you don't want to be riding on summer tires.
One material correction - don't remove the tires, swap the winter/summer wheel sets. It's way easier and cheaper in the long-run!

But my main reason for making this thread is to ask where you all store your set of summer tires? Normally I’d put them in my garage (detached and unheated/unfinished) but Michelin states that they should be kept in a climate-controlled area that doesn’t get down to freezing levels. With this in mind, I know that my garage is inadequate, and I don’t have a basement. I do have an attic, but I’m not keen on storing tires there if I can help it.

I store mine in the garage as well, though mine is attached and gets plenty of heat from the house.
It does loose some of it when the door opens and cars arrive/depart, but that hasn't been an issue for 15+ years of various cars, each one with winter+summer wheel+tire set!

More info here:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=37

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Not true. Most cars call for tires to be swapped side to side as part of the rotation pattern unless the tires have a directional tread pattern. Modern tires won't get messed up if you run them on the opposite side of the car.
Thanks for pointing that out. I haven’t rotated my own tires in years. I have them rotated when in for service.

Thanks for pointing that out. I haven’t rotated my own tires in years. I have them rotated when in for service.

Yep, no worries. Standard rotation pattern is for rear tires to go to front, and fronts to go to opposite side rears (or maybe front to rear and rear to opposite front?). Exceptions for directional tread patterns and/or staggered tire setups.

Last edited:
Reactions: afadeev
Yep, no worries. Standard rotation pattern is for rear tires to go to front, and fronts to go to opposite side rears (or maybe front to rear and rear to opposite front?). Exceptions for directional tread patterns and/or staggered tire setups.

Agree with the above.
However, side-to-side rotation is primarily beneficial if you see uneven left vs. right tire wear. That only happens if you have a major alignment issues. If you see that, the thing to do is get the car re-aligned, not just rotate the tires!

The benefit of same side front-to-back rotation is that it's super quick and easy DIY procedure. Loosen lugs on two wheels, jack one side of the car up, swap the wheels, lower the side, torque lugs back up to spec, done. Do the other side. Easily done in under 30 minutes, including a beer brake.

To DIY full side-swapping rotation safely, you really need to get the car up on the jack stands. Which is a minor challenge with Tesla Model 3, that does not have central front/back jacking points.

Any rotation is better than none!

a

Reactions: destructure00
Agree with the above.
However, side-to-side rotation is primarily beneficial if you see uneven left vs. right tire wear. That only happens if you have a major alignment issues. If you see that, the thing to do is get the car re-aligned, not just rotate the tires!

The benefit of same side front-to-back rotation is that it's super quick and easy DIY procedure. Loosen lugs on two wheels, jack one side of the car up, swap the wheels, lower the side, torque lugs back up to spec, done. Do the other side. Easily done in under 30 minutes, including a beer brake.

To DIY full side-swapping rotation safely, you really need to get the car up on the jack stands. Which is a minor challenge with Tesla Model 3, that does not have central front/back jacking points.

Any rotation is better than none!

a

My plan is to rotate, in the pattern I mentioned above, whenever I swap back from my track tires. Only one jack needed :cool: