Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fixing outer shoulder tire chunking: Bridgestone RE-71RS's, Michelin PS4S's, or camber?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,
I've been getting tire chunking or peeling from using the P Zero PZ4s on the track. Would switching to an extreme summer performance tire (200WT) such as the RE71RS's help? In my last car I also used the Michelin PS4S's on the track, but the car was also a lot lighter than my M3P.

I've been avoiding the 200WT tires as I hoped to just daily drive the summer tires, bring them to the track 1-2 times a year, then switch to winters when it gets cold. But I'm thinking I could use the Michelin CrossClimate 2s year round and just switch to a 200WT tire for the track day. Do y'all think this would help the shoulder chunking?

I also have stock camber FYI, not sure if this means that changing the tire won't help with the chunking. I was also wondering if I let too much air out from the tire to cause this! (i.e tire rolling onto the sidewall)

Example pic (PZ4s):
1000019057.jpg

Bonus pic of another instance (this time was after I spun out unfortunately, also PZ4s):
1000019059.jpg

Race-centric tires may be more resistant to chunking, but will still wear on the shoulder very fast (and give sub-optimal traction) without more camber.

I've been getting tire chunking or peeling from using the P Zero PZ4s on the track. Would switching to an extreme summer performance tire (200WT) such as the RE71RS's help? In my last car I also used the Michelin PS4S's on the track, but the car was also a lot lighter than my M3P.

RE71RS's will help.
PS4S's overheat and start shedding chunks of rubber on track.
More negative camber upfront is all but required.

I've been avoiding the 200WT tires as I hoped to just daily drive the summer tires, bring them to the track 1-2 times a year, then switch to winters when it gets cold.

Sure, why not.
When I lived in TX, I used to run rain R-comps all summer long, including on track. Yes, extra heat cycles reduced their absolutely grip, but not changing wheels & tires in 100+F degree heat was a welcome trade-off.
Regular performance summer tires were my "winters" ;-)

But I'm thinking I could use the Michelin CrossClimate 2s year round and just switch to a 200WT tire for the track day. Do y'all think this would help the shoulder chunking?

Michelin CrossClimate 2's are all-season tires. They will suck in all seasons. Is that really what you want?

I also have stock camber FYI, not sure if this means that changing the tire won't help with the chunking. I was also wondering if I let too much air out from the tire to cause this! (i.e tire rolling onto the sidewall)

You do need significantly more negative camber upfront for track or for autoX. Somewhere north of -3.x degrees.
Don't fall for some vendors claiming "easy" camber adjustments between street and track - changing camber effects toe. By a lot. You will destroy tires in no time if you neglect to align the car after a camber adjustment.

Either way, you can't get enough camber with stock camber plates. An aftermarket product, like the one linked below, is what you want:

Either way, you can't get enough camber with stock camber plates. An aftermarket product, like the one linked below, is what you want:
On a Model 3, top hats won't help with camber. You would need FUCAs for that.

Reactions: Lindenwood