Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the Model X Test Mule? Is there one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My point really is that spy photographers for automobile magazines have had decades to learn the habits and testing grounds of other manufacturers. Tesla may not actually have any Model X 'in the wild'... But I would be very surprised if that were the case, so close to a final reveal and deliveries of the vehicles.

My point really is that spy photographers for automobile magazines have had decades to learn the habits and testing grounds of other manufacturers. Tesla may not actually have any Model X 'in the wild'... But I would be very surprised if that were the case, so close to a final reveal and deliveries of the vehicles.

Probably disguised with a tailpipe someplace! We need to look more closely!! :biggrin:

Remember that many car makers use the spy shots as part of their marketing campaign to build up the fuss about their new model, Tesla does not need to do this on their models, since it has already been build by the potential buyers them selves :)

So there is basically no need to show the car here and there...

The model X like the S can test indoors thanks to zero emissions so a few hand built mules might exist and be getting rained on indoors with industrial sized fire sprinklers to test the seals on those falcons.

VW owns property several magnitudes larger in area than Tesla, including the gigantic Ehra-Lessien facility in Germany where the Veyron can stretch its legs. And yet we still see pre-pro VWs on the streets all the time.

And we see spy photos showing other makes all the time, too, even from remote locales like the ones you mention.

I think the explanation above--that there aren't yet any pre-production cars--is much more likely. Car makers invariably build cars for testing and evaluation on production lines before production begins (though as someone else mentioned, there are plenty of places that will build one-off prototypes, too).

The driveline is similar enough to the Model S that they can probably do most of the basic development with the cobbled together Model S mules we've already seen. There may be other disguised drivetrain prototypes out there--wasn't the Model S developed under a Dodge Magnum, back when it was still "Whitestar?"

As for drives? Other companies frequently do press drives of pre-production cars. Tesla may do the same, though they may also figure they don't need to bother because the buzz is already tremendous.

Tesla Motors - The Future of Electric Cars (National Geographic) - YouTube
In the Discovery Mega Factories Tesla documentary, it was mentioned that Tesla can do indoor testing because they are emission free vehicles at around 41:45 in the above video. So, I do believe that there might a Model X testing happening indoors already.

Tesla Motors - The Future of Electric Cars (National Geographic) - YouTube
In the Discovery Mega Factories Tesla documentary, it was mentioned that Tesla can do indoor testing because they are emission free vehicles at around 41:45 in the above video. So, I do believe that there might a Model X testing happening indoors already.

It makes sense that they'd more easily be able to do indoor testing than on cars that produce emissions. But no matter how big the indoor facility, there's only so much testing you can do. You can't get the vehicle up to any real speed, e.g., nor can you test it in real-world weather conditions.* Ultimately, since the car is going to have be used outside, you have to test it outside.

*Of course, all car makers have a variety of indoor testing facilities that can simulate extreme heat, extreme cold, and so forth.

The model X like the S can test indoors thanks to zero emissions so a few hand built mules might exist and be getting rained on indoors with industrial sized fire sprinklers to test the seals on those falcons.

Anyone who's visited the Fremont factory has probably seen the water testing facility that is used to check Model Ss for leaks.

Untitled.jpg

No need to build any new test rigs for the X.

Last edited:
I don't think anything can substitute for real-world testing. Indoor tests like the water testing facility above are useful, when you want to have consistent conditions for every test, but you also need to go outside to really be thorough. Out in the real world, you will encounter scenarios that you wouldn't ever think of, otherwise. And even if you could think of everything, it would just be absurdly expensive to recreate everything indoors.

In the Q2 shareholders letter released today is the comment 'We anticipate having operational Alpha prototyped ready by next week in order to confirm design intent and Beta prototypes to be ready later this year.'