Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will we get our first look at the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure where I intended to post this, but here it is, anyway:

If General Motors were serious about the Chevrolet Bolt (they aren't), it could be a competitor on the worldwide stage against cars like the Corolla, Focus, Civic, and Golf, either alongside (as Fiesta is to the Focus) or instead of the Cruze.

The worldwide appeal of the Golf is overlooked in the US. It sold only 33,675 units here in 2014. That placed Golf as the #58 best in passenger cars, and #117 overall.

Yet, the Golf sold 951,642 units worldwide in 2014, for a #3 spot. To put this in perspective, the #1 Camry and #2 Accord passenger cars in the US were instead #6 and #15 respectively on the worldwide stage. Further, the #1 overall vehicle in the US was again the F-Series pickups -- but they came up #4 behind Golf in 2014 worldwide sales.

So, yeah... Smaller vehicles are much more popular everywhere but the US. I'm sure Tesla Motors is aware of this. And right now, they don't care. And I don't blame them. Because there is nothing Tesla can do about it.

Attempting to develop a direct competitor to Corolla, Focus, or Golf at this point would be disastrous for Tesla Motors. Just as disastrous as attacking Accord and Camry. Every bit as disastrous as taking on the F-150. Why? Because Tesla Motors does not yet have the capital, the capacity, or the corporate presence to produce electric vehicles of those types in sufficient quantities to overcome the expense that would be incurred.

Their current strategy is correct. Go after the BMW 3-Series because it leads a clearly defined market segment with worldwide annual sales that Tesla Motors may be able to match and surpass within the next five years. Sorted.

Last edited:
I'm not that knowledgeable about the timeline of these things, but the Model 3 is already in the full-scale clay model stage. So, I imagine barring some massive redesign of the vehicle, they should have no problem with the March reveal.

No idea about the time-frame of things after that.

True, but when Tim Urban (waitbutwhy.com) did his walk through, he said the clay model they had was different on the left and right halves as they evaluated characteristics of each. "Von Holzhausen showed me a full-size clay car that was simultaneously testing two different possible designs for the upcoming Model 3 by making the two halves of the model different."

So yes, it sounds very much like we'll get a glimpse of it in March. That timeline should be easy to hit when they're building clay models this far out.

True, but when Tim Urban (waitbutwhy.com) did his walk through, he said the clay model they had was different on the left and right halves as they evaluated characteristics of each. "Von Holzhausen showed me a full-size clay car that was simultaneously testing two different possible designs for the upcoming Model 3 by making the two halves of the model different."

So yes, it sounds very much like we'll get a glimpse of it in March. That timeline should be easy to hit when they're building clay models this far out.
Envious of Tim Urbon on this one. Sneak previews of stuff like this would be well worth the Signature premium back when and have no direct financial cost to Tesla. Yes, I know that ship has sailed; just sayin'.